Modded front cover - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCA , VRSCAW
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
Mr Large
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee View Post
Lexan tends to distort/warp with heat. I wonder how it will hold up down there. 3M makes a product called Acrylite (a scratch resistant acrylic) that is popular for fish tanks.
I owned a glass co. and the best to use is polycarbonate sheet with a scratch resistant coating,acrylic or acrylite sheeting will crack if not carefully drilled and any significant amount of torque on a hard surface will also lead to product failure.
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Large View Post
I owned a glass co. and the best to use is polycarbonate sheet with a scratch resistant coating,acrylic or acrylite sheeting will crack if not carefully drilled and any significant amount of torque on a hard surface will also lead to product failure.
Drilling 3 small holes through 1/4" acrylic is pretty simple. I would be more worried about heat than cracking it from over torque.
WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #18
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice accent piece Mr Large.

I don't think there's enough heat to worry about in this application but crack resistance makes sense, I've taken polycarbonate and bent it 90° in a pressbrake before though the argument for the scratch resistance of acrylic is good as well.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was actually thinking more about heat for the F brothers, I agree not really an issue for DX guys.

I have done a very similar mod. I used a 1/4"x5" piece of lexan with a 1/8" step to sit flush. I also plan on installing the Rizoma pully cover.

I bought some cheap screen protectant film off ebay, hoping it will help prevent scratches

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Inch-Scra...item3ccc1dc4b2
WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
lastinline
on the hwy to hell

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
this video is a real eye opener in acrylic vs polycarbonate windshields, the shot gun is cool, if you have a shield on your bike now you may want to walk out and see what the product stamp on it says

Old 11-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #21
Mr Large
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinline View Post
this video is a real eye opener in acrylic vs polycarbonate windshields, the shot gun is cool, if you have a shield on your bike now you may want to walk out and see what the product stamp on it says

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlEfJFDWXpM
Great Video, I did a store front window 6'x'6' in Yonkers N.Y. with 1/2" Polycarb for a friends Bar ,three guys beat that window for 35 minutes before the police got there with crowbars, garbage cans, tire irons and didn`t break it, the Polycarb had the scratch resisant coating on it which held up great,all I had to do was buff a few small areas and it look good again,great product,I have the Rifle Polycarb shield on my bike also.
Advertisement