tyres - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
harryt
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tyres

Hi guys,
I have my rod booked in for a 10,000 km service next week, The tyres are good but original from 2005. I want to change them, what are the best tyres to have for hot & dry conditions...??
harryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
mikeinatlanta
relaxed and happy

Lot's of opinions. Guys who push in the corners tend to like the Avon Cobras. More vertially inclined riders debate more about OE, Metz, or Avon.
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
Lot's of opinions. Guys who push in the corners tend to like the Avon Cobras. More vertially inclined riders debate more about OE, Metz, or Avon.
Metz are fine in corners, and yes, I push very hard. Avons could be better, can't get them here. Pirelli night dragons (which I will be trying next) and Conti Race Attacks worth a try too. Stock Dunlops scary bad. They weigh a ton, and are solid rubber, so if you push at all they slide and wear out. Worst of both worlds - no grip, short life. Only last if you ride like a district nurse.

Sent from my e1808_v75_jbaol1_5647 using Motorcycle.com App

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
mikeinatlanta
relaxed and happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Metz are fine in corners, and yes, I push very hard. Avons could be better, can't get them here. Pirelli night dragons (which I will be trying next) and Conti Race Attacks worth a try too. Stock Dunlops scary bad. They weigh a ton, and are solid rubber, so if you push at all they slide and wear out. Worst of both worlds - no grip, short life. Only last if you ride like a district nurse.

No doubt the Metz are fine for the AW. On the R they start falling short when you exceed 40 degrees lean. The OP didn't say what model he has but being an 05 any of the above should be fine. On anything but an R I would go for maximum milage. Did Conti start selling race attacks in our sizes? If so I would like to give them a try.
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
XvtxCrewzr
Crash Bandacoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post

Yanno Louis, I gotta agree with you on every point you just made about the stock 'lops.. My bike is hitting 22k..I'm on my second set of sneakers,"fronts" usually don't wear as much/fast as the rear. The set that came with the bike <bought it brand new> made it to maybe 8k..the front started to cup REAL badso I had to replace that,and coz I was new with the bike,and did a couple smoke shows,
the rear was a baloney skin in no time. I had bought a new rear chromed slotted wheel to replace the solid so I put a stock 'lop on it,and had an "almost" brand new one on the rear solid..it was easier to just put a new tire on the new rim then take the tire off the solid..so i have this almost new rear as a spare. So now the front tire,even tho it has decent tread,others have said it needs replacing,and the rear tire,which i treated real good,never a burn-out...always checked air pressure is friggin bald to the point where i can feel it slide on corners! Like I said, I have an almost "new' 'lop,maybe 500 miles on it,so i'm going to take it off the solid and install it on the slotted this winter,guess I'll have to get a stock 'lop for the front again.

I like leaning in the twisties,I like gassin' on it,don't think i'm hard on them,they just don't last.
'05 VRSCB,Sundowner seat with pillon,chrome side covers,chrome switch housings,chrome fuel cell covers,chrome brake/clutch resevoir covers,chrome engine kit,luggage rack,chrome swingarm,chrome upper/lower belt covers,pivot covers,power commander III with SE slip-ons and SE airfilter,and more chrome
Also a vintage '72 750 Norton Commando,and a Yammi XJ700 Maxim X
Now I'm REALLY
XvtxCrewzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement