V-Rod riders are Squids - Page 7 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 AM   #91
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoe View Post
To the op: You won't find many V-Rodders at the traditional Harley haunts. V-Rodders are the REAL rebels of the H-D family since they actually think outside the box, look forward, not to the past - and generally ignore what is socially acceptable in the H-D family/cult.
As for V-Rodders being squids, nah. While you can be a squid at any age, most H-D customers are too old for that - and going fast is relative. Squidly behavior is limited to young sportbikers, which is as cool in that culture as a nice do-rag and wallet chain in cruiser world.
Rebels? Your analogy is rigid, lumping everyone on the V in one category. I think it's changing yearly. At first, the biggest percentage were total newbies, not just new to HD but raw newbies. We did a poll a awhile back and confirmed it. Those that had experience were mostly new to HD.
I see it changing though, and I see more and more HD wannabes, draped in loud Harley garb on the V. I see more of the old school on them also, I see X-"squids", the demographic is getting younger. In fact, a lot of forum members now own both, an air-cooled and a V. It's wide open now.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 AM   #92
The Broker
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
I will state it again, there is no HD production bike that is fast enough to deem the rider a "Squid".
Production yes! Modified with little mods , very fast my bike is now!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
The Broker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #93
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Broker View Post
Production yes! Modified with little mods , very fast my bike is now!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Saw an older DX with a turbo and completely modded for speed. If this kid wasn't a squid nobody is.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #94
Night Rod Rider
Registered Full

I have people ask me all of the time: what kind of bike is that...and they say it's either cool or "Bad Ass" and I like both. To respond to the rider that asked where do I race...my response is anywhere I can...
Night Rod Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #95
boscoe
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
Rebels? Your analogy is rigid, lumping everyone on the V in one category. I think it's changing yearly. At first, the biggest percentage were total newbies, not just new to HD but raw newbies. We did a poll a awhile back and confirmed it. Those that had experience were mostly new to HD.
I see it changing though, and I see more and more HD wannabes, draped in loud Harley garb on the V. I see more of the old school on them also, I see X-"squids", the demographic is getting younger. In fact, a lot of forum members now own both, an air-cooled and a V. It's wide open now.
Point taken...
boscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #96
El Pozzinator
AKA:KrammitTheFrodge

i think in the closet that some of us (yes, us - i now ride a screamin' eagle springer) air-cooled, pushrod, 70+ year-old technology riders (they call it "traditional", i think) are actually JEALOUS. i came from standards and sportbikes and used to refer to all harleys as "the most inefficient way to convert fossil fuels into pollution and noise without the side effects of efficiency or performance".

then i rode a stock fat boy and realized my dad's was WAY better, smoother, quicker, and more efficient with the stage 2 kit. i figure if too much is good, then gross excess should be almost enough. this softail rides a lot better than my DX did, but it's not as quick or efficient. gets better mileage though...

we ought to feel bad for the air-cooled crowd. sportbikes won't wave at them; but almost everybody waves at a v-rod. just cruiser-ish enough to get the traditionalists to wave, and the performance folks know what it is and respect it as such.

my two cents from both sides of the fence.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #97
BIG POPPA 66
Registered Full

Cool

I RODE RACE BIKES ON THE STREET AND ON RACE TRACK KNEE DRAGGIN HEAVEN NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD GET A HARLEY ALWAYS THOUGHT THEY WERE NOT RELIABLE. WHEN I SAW SOME VRODS GO BY ONE DAY I KNEW I WAS GETTING ONE. THEY ARE BAD A$$ AND WE ALL KNOW IT ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS RIDE ONE... SQUID????
BIG POPPA 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #98
hometoast
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG POPPA 66 View Post
I RODE RACE BIKES ON THE STREET AND ON RACE TRACK KNEE DRAGGIN HEAVEN NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD GET A HARLEY ALWAYS THOUGHT THEY WERE NOT RELIABLE. WHEN I SAW SOME VRODS GO BY ONE DAY I KNEW I WAS GETTING ONE. THEY ARE BAD A$$ AND WE ALL KNOW IT ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS RIDE ONE... SQUID????
all the CAPS.. for real?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #99
SvFiat
Kidzap

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
He can't read small print or road signs I guess.

SvFiat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #100
JV Rod
Lifetime Premium

No worries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKing View Post
But even though I now consider myself a "rebel" - I'm not gettin' no stinkin' doooorag..Period!
They don't stink when you buy 'em and regular washing keeps them that way!!

J
Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #101
Ear2Ear
FFFWD

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2012 VRSCF: Bassani B1 slip-ons, K&N, topless, T-Max dynoed by TRASK, Progressive 440's, ISO grips & pegs, H-D Muscle saddlebags w/welded nuts mod (when traveling), BICEP radiator armor/fork badges/axle caps, RRC visor over HIDs w/RJ mod, Dutch Custom LED, reduced-reach handlebars, quick-release +4" Rifle windshield (when traveling), Bitchin Seat - PICS
Ear2Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #102
fastfail
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellundo View Post
63 years old here with 43,000 miles on my 05 SE CVO bike that I bought in the summer of 05. It is my first Harley but I've been riding since 1965 on all kinds of jap bikes. At the last super Saturday at Hoosier Harley in Elkhart IN this year I went out to my bike to leave and four guys were standing by it. When I went to put my key in one of them said they had been waiting for the owner to come back, wanted to talk about the bike. Said almost everyone that walked past stopped and checked it out. that drives my riding buddy that has a very nice Softail Duece crazy because when we are parked together most of the people that make any comments about our bikes are usually talking about mine. I've mostly had nice compliments about my bike and if anyone says it's not a real Harley I just say it's not a real slow Harley. There are riders and then there are owners and my experience is that the riders appreciate the Vrod and I could care less what the owners think.
Haha, i walked by your bike a couple times and checked it out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

Lot's of turbo and nitrous neons
69 Camaro: Small Block (Soon LSxT)
88 TRX250r Custom Beast
Big ass K10
Escalade Tuned and retarted
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/fastfail
Check out this bike on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x8poB4bDUrB-QJPoZfjtQ
fastfail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #103
NikNak
Luv the H2O

Willie G did a great job on this bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianrick View Post
Yes the vrod is a real harley after all willie g had something to do with the design. It doesent get any more harley then that
On a visit to So Cal HD, I got Willie G to sign my airbox cover this spring. I told him I wanted one the first year they came out, but couldn't afford it ... bought used 04 this Jan with 1850 miles & I stole it! He mentioned that he loved the engine, "It's like a turbine, it keep getting stronger as it loads up, no dead spots in the power band."

I also got a pic of him signing the bike so it's legit!

My brother ran with a couple of MC clubs in the 80s & 90s ... has the parole record to prove it. He was thrilled that I bought a V-Rod for the price I did. He's got a 57 Shovel/Pan Trike, 78 Electra, 2003 Anniv & a 46/47 project HD in the garage. His is the only real respect I need.

I bought the V-Rod for the way it rides, the engine, the forward controls & cuz it's water cooled ... most HD air cooled bikes can't ride well in the summer heat down here. You see them parked along the HOV lane waiting to cool down.
NikNak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #104
Duc2Vrod
Yea it is a Harley!

funny how the dream bike of Willie G is not a "real harley" according to the air heads...who gives a F
Old 12-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #105
nightroddersp
james

well, willie G's dream turned into my dream bike and after 7 years it stillputs a smile on my face. no other bike fit my like my NRS and i tried to stay away from the HD stealers i tried the m109r first and its a torque monster but it was like sitting on a snowmobile that can fall over. the warrior was nice but lacked the power compared to the 9. triumph rocketIII i couldn't ride it unless i had it slammed 3 inches. i liked the fat back tire look and so i broke down and tried the 06 se and my leg couldn't clear the exhaust so then i tried the DX and my a$$ will not sit willingly on another bike again.