Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Front motor mount

10K views 59 replies 29 participants last post by  Philthy 
#1 ·
I think the change was made in the 05 model but this shows the difference between the late model mount and the early 02 mount and as you can see a broken mount. The old mount and top plate is on the right and the arrows point to the torn spots on the mount.

Attachments

See less See more
#53 ·
Myvrodrocks,

Did you leave the doughnut off the frame bracket when you completed the installation of the new front motor mount, and if it's possible can you provide a few pics showing the completed upgrade?

Thanks,
Andrew
Is it possible for you guys to provide a few pics on the new front motor mount installation that you have performed, especially one showing the frame bracket without the doughnut.

Thanks

#54 ·
andrew said:
Myvrodrocks,

Did you leave the doughnut off the frame bracket when you completed the installation of the new front motor mount, and if it's possible can you provide a few pics showing the completed upgrade?

Thanks,
Andrew
Is it possible for you guys to provide a few pics on the new front motor mount installation that you have performed, especially one showing the frame bracket without the doughnut.

Thanks
When your done there is no way to tell early from late design when bolted up. If yo look at the very first post in this thread you will see new and old top bracket. When you pry the washer and rubber off the old looks just like the new one.

#55 ·
I just changed my upper motor mount and like everyone else I hope I never have to do it again. I did find an alternate method of loosing the left side bolt without taking the radiator off, you still have to loosen the bottom of the radiator for enough working space but you don't have to have the mess of taking the radiator off.

I pulled the battery and was able to get a 8mm long ball hex drive with an 3/8 extension on the bolt while I used a 15mm socket to take the nut off. The hardest part was scraping the old rubber off the top bracket.

The old style mount was still good (no cracks that I could find) after 38000 miles, but still glad I made the change to the new style.

#57 ·
LOL yea I know,
But I wanted to share my alternate method of getting to the left side bolt without taking the radiator off, just might help someone who has to tackle this job in the future.

#59 ·
Slacker!:stilpoke:

#60 ·
One tell tale indication the front mount is sagging is to look at the junction of your header and the third volume and see if the clamp is touching the frame. I discovered this trying to suss out a vibe between 4-5K and noticed the clamp from the header to the third volume was digging a nice hole in the removable frame member. Roundabout chasing that problem I came to suspect worn engine mounts. When the old ones were removed, the front mount was obviously distorted. With new mounts, and a new frame down tube, the exhaust no longer touches the frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.