Uh-Oh.......... - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Uh-Oh..........

7 years, 107k miles and over $21k saved in fixes only 3 days remain on my best friend, "The Extended Warranty......"

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0623.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	191605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0622.png
Views:	499
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	191606  
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
gritgolfer
It's Only Money

Used mine once so far for a disconnected ground. I guess you were lucky to have it in that your bike has had so many expensive issues.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
RodKing
The Crusades

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I got one when I got my 09AW back last May - based on your recommendations. I have not had to use it yet - I got the tire and wheel warranty as well. This warranty was for 4
years unltd mileage as I had a huge credit when I traded the RK. I've always considered the Ext Warr a good move. And based on your 22k worth of work - I'd say it is an excellent ROI.

Get another bike and start all over again would be my recommendation to you. I know how much you like the muscle/(sarc )so you could start there. Personally they are growing on me.
RodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Worth it on Harleys and new high-tech refrigerators. Can't think of anything else I'd buy an extended warranty on???
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilliam1 View Post
Worth it on Harleys and new high-tech refrigerators. Can't think of anything else I'd buy an extended warranty on???
LED and LCD flat screens and iPad and iPhones.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
2oo6niterod
drag racer

Feedback Score: 22 reviews
i've been a believer in extended warranty's, i'll be damned if i'll make payments AND pay to fix it.
1996 Kawasaki ZX9R
www.dobeckperformance.com www.electronicjetkit.com<<<<-----fuel management
www.raptorperformance.com <<<----shift lights
2oo6niterod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Lason
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Only extended warranty I have ever used was on my second Xbox 360. First one also fried but no warranty on that one.
-Customled tail light flasher module
-Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
-Dynojet Power Vision
-Vance and Hines Comp 2-1
-K&N air filter
Lason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Baldursscv
VRSCADX Ryder

I got the ESP ($1000) on my 09AW I think only two minor fixes were done before I traded it in. I think the total was less than $250

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Baldursscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
SvFiat
Kidzap

Well if you don't know how to turn a wrench and your out there hitting the rev limiter and missing shifts. I guess the extended warranty pays for itself. Other then that these revolution motors are so reliable it's really a waste of money that could have been used for plugs, oil, tires and gas. In 4 years other than adding stuff to the bike It's never left me stranded. The only time HD has serviced my bike was the 5K which left me 1/2 a quart short on oil and missing both valve caps on my wheels which were under inflated when I got home.

SvFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
ELUSIVE 1
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
7 years, 107k miles and over $22k saved in fixes only 3 days remain on my best friend, "The Extended Warranty......"

Aren't the first two years warranty? Out of $22K,how much was spent on fixes first two years (2002-2004)?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvFiat View Post
Well if you don't know how to turn a wrench and your out there hitting the rev limiter and missing shifts. I guess the extended warranty pays for itself. Other then that these revolution motors are so reliable it's really a waste of money that could have been used for plugs, oil, tires and gas. In 4 years other than adding stuff to the bike It's never left me stranded. The only time HD has serviced my bike was the 5K which left me 1/2 a quart short on oil and missing both valve caps on my wheels which were under inflated when I got home.
True, I bought this bike without ever sitting on a motorcycle before in my life, I saw it on TV in 2004 and couldn't get it out of my mind. Found one on Cycle Trader in TX after months of looking locally (its funny to show up to a house to look at a bike and they ask "You want to test ride?" and I say "I have no idea how to ride thanks anyways, one time I showed up at a very nice house and John Schneider of The Dukes Of Hazard answered the door) and all I KNew was it needed to be a 2002 and have extended warranty because I had no idea how to do anything, took 20 minute to figure out how to get to the fuel. During the 1st 2 years I went to every dealership in my area (5) and they all lacked any idea or ambition to learn how to work on this bike (This is when I found this forum and Max, RJ and many more very knowledgable people taught me, walked me through and where very patient with me and taught me how to work on the bike) I was lucky enough to find a Warranty Certified Indie shop in Huntington Beach, who also raced his Destroyer in the AHDRA so he knows the bike inside out and have only gone there since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELUSIVE 1 View Post
Aren't the first two years warranty? Out of $22K,how much was spent on fixes first two years (2002-2004)?
I bought it used in 2005, all I knew when I did was that it had to be a 2002 and a warranty because I knew nothing about MC's
Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 AM   #12
Philthy
Registered Full

So far the ESP has paid for itself. I have two years left. I have had several fork repairs under ESP, new swingarm bushing and bearing when the bushing wore out, a couple of alternator re-seals, a couple of electrical problems due to wires rubbing and shorting. Given what I know now I would buy it again, no question.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #13
2012txnrs
2012 NRS Vivid Black

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oo6niterod View Post
i'll be damned if i'll make payments AND pay to fix it.
By buying the extended warranty you HAVE paid to fix it but just NOT a large amount.......
2012txnrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:41 AM   #14
Tassie Tony
IQ test result -

[QUOTE=luxlamf;2364702]7 years, 107k miles and over $22k saved in fixes only 3 days remain on my best friend, "The Extended Warranty......"

Far out 22k in repairs say's lemon to me!No wonder you bought a Triumph.
Tassie Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #15
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritgolfer View Post
Used mine once so far for a disconnected ground. I guess you were lucky to have it in that your bike has had so many expensive issues.
Not sure if breaking down $22K's worth is lucky.

VANITY FAIR??????
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement