Broken Butterfly Shaft - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Demthios
To boost or not??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Broken Butterfly Shaft

Well, finally took the 1350 up to the dyno this weekend to figure out what gains I'd gotten over last winter..ya ya I know it's damn near this winter but was just having to much fun with it during the summer to take it up to them. Well everything went okay on the ride up, after they got done with warm ups they guys came to give me the results. 132hp an 90lbs not bad but not what I was expecting but then they tell me the bike is idling weird and that I should replace my twin tech with the Race tuner.

I gladly declined but wondered with what they mean that the bike was idling weird. On the way home the first stop like the bike wouldn't come down from 2k thought that was weird, second stop light the bike wouldn't come down from 3.3k....hmm, 4th stop light same as the third and I made it home. To really pissed at the dealer to think straight I just put the bike away. Well today I go out to figure out whats wrong since it hit 70 here today, and wanted to go for a ride. I pull the air filter off and start checking stuff and I notice the the back half of the rear cylinder butterfly shaft is missing.

My heart sinks thinking that it went in the engine, so I tear off the airbox pull the TB's and sure as shit it's gone. Split right at the screw, thinking all crap I break out the flash light and look down the intake, both valves are open and I can't see any damage, so I stuff some towels down it and look around in the valley of the engine and fine the missing half. Oh thank you god!

Here are some pics of the shaft and the dyno sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DynoSheet.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	191503   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-21 15.58.53.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	560.2 KB
ID:	191504  
Demthios is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
bproulxvrod
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Is that one of Scott's where he welds the screws on now?

2003 100th Anniversary VRSCA bagger edition
bproulxvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Demthios
To boost or not??

I believe it is one of Scott's, but I bought it from a third party on here. So not sure if it is one of the newer design one or not.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So is the shaft that broke a stock Harley part or are your throttle bodies non-stock and aftermarket? You got real lucky that your engine didn't eat that part.
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilliam1 View Post
So is the shaft that broke a stock Harley part or are your throttle bodies non-stock and aftermarket? You got real lucky that your engine didn't eat that part.
No chance of eating that. It's on the outside of the tb.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Jeck
Fade to Black

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Scott is an expert at fixing them, and winter is here. I had the same problem years ago.
Jeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demthios View Post
I believe it is one of Scott's, but I bought it from a third party on here. So not sure if it is one of the newer design one or not.
Ok so it was a 53mm bored to 58mm with the bolts welded? If that's the case, at least the screw remained in place so welding it worked!!! That's why I had the shaft upgrade by Scott in my last engine work, tried to bulletproof as much as possible at once.

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
rsc
Killer Service Inc.

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Sorry to hear this Kris.

You are lucky for sure.

That could of caused some serious damage.

I am sure Scott will get you back on the road soon.

Good Luck on the next one

2012 Ultra Classic

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion!
You're merely over-educated beyond your ability to think!

Malcomx" It turns out that the truth is pretty good protection."

V-rod mechanics 101:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rscrod

The opinions expressed here are solely those of the original author. These opinions do not represent those of KSI-LLC.com / Killer Service and Innovations, LLC
rsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Demthios
To boost or not??

Thanks Rod, yeah I'll send it off to Scott and have him fix it up. Need to smooth out the bore now as well since it scratched it up pretty bad.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
sburke91
'04 1300

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Is Scott still making the model with the redesigned shafts?
SE Heads, Jones Cams/Valves/Springs
Destroyer TB and Injectors
CP Pistons
Bub 7 2-1
Delphi/SERT, sometimes TSII for tuning
Lots of other bits and pieces
Coming someday (if I ever get around to plumbing it):
sburke91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
ohioVROD

Yes we make two types of 58mm throttle bodies.

1) Bore out stock unit re-install stock shafts and add half shafts on top of the butterfly blades, insert new screws, and then tig weld them into place.

2) Bore out stock unit install (2) new stainless steel shafts and add half shafts to the blades, insert new screws, and then tig weld them into place.

Option 1) is a 50/50 on whether or not the original shafts dont break. They always break where the tapped hole is in the shaft. Ultimately the shaft is too small but making a bigger one is not a option at this time seeing you would have to re-engineer the entire setup.

Option 2) is rock solid as of right now but nothing is guaranteed in the high performance sector. Welding the screws is the best bet to insure nothing falls down into the motor. Unfortunately this option is pricey each shaft is hand made by one of our skilled precision toolmakers.

Authorized dealer for Vance & Hines, MegaCycle Cams, CP Pistons, Brown's Plating, Carrilo Rods, ARP Studs, Falicon Crankshafts and Diamond Heads.

Services offered: Case Boring-26T Pulley-58mm Throttle Body-Slotting Sprockets-Pinning of Bearings-Custom Machined Wheels & Rear Pulleys- Engine Brace Kit

ohioVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Demthios
To boost or not??

Scott,

Wanna shoot me a PM on what the cost of option two would be? Hopefully not as bad as normal since it's already bored out and everything lol but gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioVROD View Post

1) Bore out stock unit re-install stock shafts and add half shafts on top of the butterfly blades, insert new screws, and then tig weld them into place.

2) Bore out stock unit install (2) new stainless steel shafts and add half shafts to the blades, insert new screws, and then tig weld them into place.

Option 1) is a 50/50 on whether or not the original shafts dont break. They always break where the tapped hole is in the shaft. Ultimately the shaft is too small but making a bigger one is not a option at this time seeing you would have to re-engineer the entire setup.

Option 2) is rock solid as of right now but nothing is guaranteed in the high performance sector. Welding the screws is the best bet to insure nothing falls down into the motor. Unfortunately this option is pricey each shaft is hand made by one of our skilled precision toolmakers.
I have to ask. Why not make the shafts out of 4130 or a more fatigue resitant steel, even stainless? As for the bushings, wouldn't Turcite or delrin be a better choice to tame the chatter noises?
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
rsc
Killer Service Inc.

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioVROD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demthios View Post
Scott,

Wanna shoot me a PM on what the cost of option two would be? Hopefully not as bad as normal since it's already bored out and everything lol but gotta do what you gotta do.
Does this thing have a warranty?

2012 Ultra Classic

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion!
You're merely over-educated beyond your ability to think!

Malcomx" It turns out that the truth is pretty good protection."

V-rod mechanics 101:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rscrod

The opinions expressed here are solely those of the original author. These opinions do not represent those of KSI-LLC.com / Killer Service and Innovations, LLC
rsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsc View Post
Does this thing have a warranty?

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement