An oil leak??? What gives!!?? - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
Yarvis
Official bike nut

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was getting ready to do the silicone repair to the grommet, but guess what? She stopped leaking, .or so I thought. I rode the bike for a few days more than I usually do. ( I usually ride the HD 2 days, then I ride the beemer for two) Well I rode the night rod for 3 days last week and each night I placed my card board sheet underneath the bike. I get nothing, nada, zilch, from Wednesday of last week, until sometime early this morning. a small dime size drop of oil on my card board. Damn!!! Guess will still need to do this repair one day.
2001 BMW R1200c Phoenix

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ---John Lennon.
Yarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #17
Yarvis
Official bike nut

She's STILL leaking. Does anyone know what needs to be ordered from HD parts wise? I see there is a stator assembly and a stator assembly kit listed in the parts book, which do I order if I decided to replace parts instead of doing the RTV fix?
2001 BMW R1200c Phoenix

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ---John Lennon.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
You will need to order a complete stator. THe grommet is molded to the wires and can not be replaced by itself.

The RTV solution is your best bet. Get into your service manual on how to remove the existing stator, Clean up the cover, grommet, wires and anything else possible with a real good grease cutter before applying copious amounts of RTV. The more the merrier.

There is no assurance a new one will remain permanently sealed.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. - Mark Twain
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:04 AM   #19
Yarvis
Official bike nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
You will need to order a complete stator. THe grommet is molded to the wires and can not be replaced by itself.

The RTV solution is your best bet. Get into your service manual on how to remove the existing stator, Clean up the cover, grommet, wires and anything else possible with a real good grease cutter before applying copious amounts of RTV. The more the merrier.

There is no assurance a new one will remain permanently sealed.
RustyG
I have the service manual and am HATING the idea of buying a new stator just to cure this weeping oil problem. But I have read MANY of the different posts where some have done the RTV fix more than once and still have the issue. I bought my bike in summer of 2005, we are now going into 2013, she has been pretty much trouble free. If I have to buy a new stator for $125 and replace myself with my friends help, I don't think it's to bad for an almost 8 year old bike.
2001 BMW R1200c Phoenix

Old 11-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
rogersachs
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I removed the cover. Spent a lot of time cleaning the inside gromet and wire, then used Grey silicone( grey seems to work the best) and put a ton of it about the wire and gromet and worked it under and out the hole. Pull the wire back and forth a little. Also used a fine awl to get it all around. Worked some in also from outside. Then let it sit overnight . Then resesmbled cover. Don't over tighten screws. Have not had a leak in 3 years. Harly really screwed up. Should be a recall. I wonder if they see these posts and care.
rogersachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #21
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarvis View Post
RustyG
I have the service manual and am HATING the idea of buying a new stator just to cure this weeping oil problem. But I have read MANY of the different posts where some have done the RTV fix more than once and still have the issue. I bought my bike in summer of 2005, we are now going into 2013, she has been pretty much trouble free. If I have to buy a new stator for $125 and replace myself with my friends help, I don't think it's to bad for an almost 8 year old bike.
Then they did not do it correctly. Probably did not clean very thoroughly. The hole, cable and grommet areas must be entirely free of grease and oil or the RTV stuff will not adhere.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. - Mark Twain
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement