Foldable factory equipped license plate holder - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #16
stevedanger
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow! That cop must have been bullied as a kid in school what an a$$hole. The plate was visible no law was being broken, and they wonder why theres a lack of respect for authority.....
Land of the free as long as you do what we say.
stevedanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 05:44 AM   #17
SvFiat
Kidzap

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungyangchen View Post
Greetings,
I was enjoying my Sunday afternoon ride down here in Miami FL today. Next thing you know I saw blue and red lights flashing from my rear view mirrors. The cop approached my bike and started folding the license plate and rudely asked me "who installed this, this is illegal". I tried to explain it is standard factory equipment from HD but he didn't want to hear about it. He issued me a citation which requires me to show up in court. Has anyone experienced this? I am still stunned several hours later. I don't understand why the cop gave me a hard time over something so ridiculous and if it is indeed illegal how can HD sell tons of bikes with the same set up?
Do I stand a chance in court? Need some advise.

Thank you in advance.

2011 v rod muscle.
I'm from Florida. It's stock equipment you don't have to do anything. There's more side mounted plates being used in the new sportster line up as well. Just go to court and talk to the clerk of courts officer and you can probably get it straightened out right then and there. That fine officer of the law who wrote the ticket has his head tucked firmly up his ass. Just like the officer that pulled me over for rolling through a malfunctioning traffic light as 2am. He asked for my papers, but after a little discussion he decided just to give me a verbal warning. Probably because he knew if we went to court I'd make him look like an ass. This is typical of a police officer trying to get his weekly quota or just doesn't like bikes. I used to go to Quaker Steak every Wednesday night in Clearwater for bike night. I usually folded my plate in so people wouldn't walk into it. One night I forgot to flip it out and rode from there to New Port Richey before a police officer pulled up next to me at a light and pointed to my plate. I reached back and flipped it out and he gave me a thumb's up and drove off.

SvFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #18
KenG
VRSCD

http://www.floridaplates.com/mounting/index.htm

2007 VRSC"Devil rod"

Only 1% of the entire population of the United States have ever served in combat putting their lives on the line protecting freedom. They are the true 1%.

I am the 1% ODS, OEF, JSOTF-P, OND
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
SickRick
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
2008 opinion.

Statute was changed in 2010.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Rolling: Penske 8983NR/TD AK-20 Dual-Lyndall Rotors/Red+-Brembo P4/34 Calipers-BST CF's-Ceramic Brngs-Conti RA's- Microline Hydraulics

Looks: Polished SS Bolts-Rizoma Rearset/Pegs-Trucklite/LEDMirrors-LED Tail-BlueLED Gages-PVD Black Fork Tubes-Woodcraft Clip-Ons-NMC Windshield(s)-Cluster Relo- Valentine-1 - Blinder 905c
SickRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
SvFiat
Kidzap

Further more the statue states that the plate be permanently affixed to the bike, which it is. And it can't flip up which it doesn't and it doesn't state anything about folding in or out in either case the plate can still be read anyway. But all of this is a moot point because the side mount plate is not a modification and the bike is sold this way. Maybe the Florida Law makers should get in touch with HD and tell them that their bike doesn't comply with the laws. Yeah I can see that happening.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
SickRick
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Fact is - this was a harassment citation- especially if the bike came that way.

Mine did not - yet I never get hassled.

RickClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1353610689.819310.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	191535

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Rolling: Penske 8983NR/TD AK-20 Dual-Lyndall Rotors/Red+-Brembo P4/34 Calipers-BST CF's-Ceramic Brngs-Conti RA's- Microline Hydraulics

Looks: Polished SS Bolts-Rizoma Rearset/Pegs-Trucklite/LEDMirrors-LED Tail-BlueLED Gages-PVD Black Fork Tubes-Woodcraft Clip-Ons-NMC Windshield(s)-Cluster Relo- Valentine-1 - Blinder 905c
SickRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #22
sungyangchen

Greetings all, finally had the court appearance, the cop never showed, case dismissed.
Thank you all for the advise!
sungyangchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #23
vbad11
Registered Full

I just flip them off. N hit the gas....
vbad11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #24
thetryal
F2NV

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungyangchen View Post
Greetings all, finally had the court appearance, the cop never showed, case dismissed.
Thank you all for the advise!
congrats on the outcome. too bad the cop wasted everyones time.

i guess is better to "no show" than to be "shown up".
PCV tuner
K&N filter
Topless
Chrome Arnotts
Hanny risers
Electronic cruise control
thetryal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #25
SvFiat
Kidzap

Good Deal. I guess that Police Officer didn't want to look like the fool that he is. Too bad he wasted a day of your time in court.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement