Destroyer cluth hub need help - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRXSE
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 07-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
dmfcavu
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
New Thread - VRXSE Clutch, Gearing, Slicks

It seems many of us are wrestling with clutch setup, gearing and the effect of MT/New Goodyear slicks on our setup. Does anyone else think it's a good idea to start a new thread dedicated to these questions and comments? Would be happy to get one started now.

DMF

2013 Manufacturers Cup Super Comp (8.90 Index) Champion

2013 Manufacturers Cup Pro Fuel Top 10 In Points

Destroyer
Best ET - 8.87/150
Best 60' - 1.325

Hawaya Racing Pro Fuel Nitro Harley
Best ET - 7.62/166MPH
Best 60' - 1.229
Best Adrenaline Rush Ever!

ZX-14R
Best ET - 9.80/153

AMRA Pro 6.90 Fuel Pilot

NHRA License ET Bracket MC 3025
dmfcavu is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
grandpawgriz
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfcavu View Post
It seems many of us are wrestling with clutch setup, gearing and the effect of MT/New Goodyear slicks on our setup. Does anyone else think it's a good idea to start a new thread dedicated to these questions and comments? Would be happy to get one started now.

DMF

Good idea to condense the info in 1 thread. It spread out in several now.

Power by Vreeland's Harley-Davidson
http://vreelandsharley.com/?page_id=543

Best 60' 1.438
Best 1/8th 6.181 @ 111.37 MPH
Best 1/4 9.783 @ 136.10 MPH
855 LBS at the starting line
grandpawgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
jrspm
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrspm View Post
Has anyone had problems with the destroyer clutch hub cracking? For some reason I have been breaking clutch hubs every time I go racing. They crack along the large snap ring groove. I am thinking of welding around the groove to help support the hub. I have tried different clutches, packed clutch at different thicknesses and it still cracks. Everything else, including the V&H clutch basket and transmission shaft are fine. I wanted to go to Tulsa, but without getting clutch hub problem fixed it would be a waste of time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Still breaking clutch hubs, anyone else use a V&H clutch basket? I check ever part out and can't find anything wrong. I'm at a lost would like to go to Bristol if I can get this problem fixed.
jrspm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
TaxmanHog
Noel

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
John,

I'm puzzled as to why your going through so many......
Do you frequently rebuild the pack, for the purpose of swapping order of plates & frictions?

I know if some local racers who are big on that operating procedure,the thinking is they improve the longevity & consistency of the pack, especially after it's getting tired.

If, so all the pieces ( like the beveled washer/ring, ordering the plates properly, matching the inner hub to the pressure plate in the correct (and only one of five possible positions).

Loading the rebuilt pack into the basket so that it's fully seated and the input shaft nut torqued down.
Any lapses in this might be a root cause, OTOH you have had a string of weak hub's.

Did you get the replacements from MTC as each broke?

NED POINTS 2013

(2012) ET-943, SG-941 & VRD-941
Best ET: 9.661
Best Mph: 139.34 mph
Best 60': 1.393

----
http://www.newenglanddragway.com

AHDRA 2012 Season
Destroyer Points
Super Gas Points
TaxmanHog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #20
jrspm
Registered Full

Two of them are from MTC the other two are from HD and I installed the button myself.The clutch plates are all installed right, I always stack my clutch plates in a dummy basket and slide them in all together. I am thinking of welding up the snap ring grove up to make it stronger because that is where it cracks every time. If anybody has any sugestions I could use the help. Thanks
jrspm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #21
grandpawgriz
Registered Full

clutch hub

This one has really got me???? I think it's time to look further than the clutch itself. It couldn't be that many bad hubs and I doubt that you could be making a mistake each time. It really sounds like you are doing the clutch work correctly.

On edit: are you running power adders or have a BIG motor???

Power by Vreeland's Harley-Davidson
http://vreelandsharley.com/?page_id=543

Best 60' 1.438
Best 1/8th 6.181 @ 111.37 MPH
Best 1/4 9.783 @ 136.10 MPH
855 LBS at the starting line
grandpawgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #22
Sam V
Lubedude

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just came across this thread. Before I broke second gear, I switched over to Energy One plates. I liked them a lot, but to run them the judder spring had to be eliminated. What this meant was that I had to start softening my static settings. With HD springs and 0.050 shims, I was pulling down the engine from 8,500 to less than 3,000 at the launch. These plates where much more aggessive, so I'm suspecting they could also be harder on the hub. I'm running the Finishline basket, by the way. Also, the friction characteristics of your engine oil have a lot to do with it. Some synthetics have different friction co-efficients. If you've made any changes to clutches and/or oils, go back to baseline and see what happens.

Just stray thoughts.

Sam
Sam V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement