V-Rod riders are Squids - Page 6 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #76
hometoast
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
5 pages I read 3 of them. I'm sure it's been said, but maybe worth repeating: if you like the Vrod, ride it, love it.

I ride with a handful of fatboy/road-king friends. They seem genuinely impressed with the bike. They tease me sometimes, but that stops when we hit a bendy stretch of road and I disappear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #77
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee View Post
A Buell was never really a Harley, but the VR1000 was.

Better yet, I could buy a Victory... and rebadge it with Harley decals.
I'm gonna assume you're bustin' balls!
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #78
Maddog78
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For the most part I always had positive comments from airhead riders about my bike.
I did tell this story here in an old thread though.

Quote:
I stopped in at my usual biker bar and this dickwad starts making noises along the lines of "that's not a real Harley, I ride a real Harley, blah, blah, blah."
I decide to get into conversation with him and say "oh is that right, which bike is yours?"
He proudly points to his 2009 Road King. I carry on the conversation and it then comes out that he just bought it a few months ago and it's his first Harley ever!
As the conversation carries on the bar maid and a patch holder greet me by my first name.
Mr. dickwad newbie biker pulls on his doo rag and gets the hell out of there.
I've never seen him back since. LOL.

btw, I still never did see this guy again. Maybe he sold his bike, lol.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #79
Night Rod Rider
Registered Full

"Squids"

Well, I am 69 years young and have ridden every thing from early Honda's to Triumphs, BSAs, Sportsters, Softails Baggers and I currently have the '07 Nightrod Special. I consider it the Harley of the future. It does everything I like in a precision machine. I still race, love the twisties and thoroughly enjoy every minute on it with the exception of my last ride to Arizona, and only because my arthritis was acting up. So piss off all of you nay sayers it's a great bike.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobby at Paradise Cove 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	191500  
Night Rod Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #80
SvFiat
Kidzap

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Rod Rider View Post
Well, I am 69 years young and have ridden every thing from early Honda's to Triumphs, BSAs, Sportsters, Softails Baggers and I currently have the '07 Nightrod Special. I consider it the Harley of the future. It does everything I like in a precision machine. I still race, love the twisties and thoroughly enjoy every minute on it with the exception of my last ride to Arizona, and only because my arthritis was acting up. So piss off all of you nay sayers it's a great bike.

Bob
You got 9 years on me but I got to say you look pretty good for an old F... LOL.

SvFiat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #81
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
"Squids"

Quote:
"Squids?" Well, I am 69 years young and have ridden every thing from early Honda's to Triumphs, BSAs, Sportsters, Softails Baggers and I currently have the '07 Nightrod Special. I consider it the Harley of the future. It does everything I like in a precision machine. I still race, love the twisties and thoroughly enjoy every minute on it with the exception of my last ride to Arizona, and only because my arthritis was acting up. So piss off all of you nay sayers it's a great bike.

Bob
squids, HD soldiers, rubs, posers, weekend warriors, it's all about the "other guy"!
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #82
RodKing
The Crusades

Quote:

Bob
Ditto on all your rides and also on Arthritis! LOL

65 here.....I have had my 09 AW twice I traded it in 2010 for a 2010 Road King....18 months of a Road King was enough for me. Traded that overweight hot and slow HOG in for my original 2009 VRod - dealer never sold it. I missed it from the day I traded for the RK.

It is everything that the RK was not - fast, lightweight, different, reliable and a lotta fun.

I have almost 16k on the V now and won't let it go again. Love it!

My airhead buds keep telling me that the V "is a young man's bike"
and you are and old guy - why not ride something more comfy - That's the best they can come up with!

I've had nothing but compliments from most HD riders.
RodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #83
BT
I lift heavy things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKing View Post
I have had my 09 AW twice I traded it in 2010 for a 2010 Road King....18 months of a Road King was enough for me. Traded that overweight hot and slow HOG in for my original 2009 VRod - dealer never sold it.
Wow !!!!
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #84
boscoe
Registered Full

To the op: You won't find many V-Rodders at the traditional Harley haunts. V-Rodders are the REAL rebels of the H-D family since they actually think outside the box, look forward, not to the past - and generally ignore what is socially acceptable in the H-D family/cult.
As for V-Rodders being squids, nah. While you can be a squid at any age, most H-D customers are too old for that - and going fast is relative. Squidly behavior is limited to young sportbikers, which is as cool in that culture as a nice do-rag and wallet chain in cruiser world.
boscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #85
boscoe
Registered Full

Quote:

Bob
What class/type of bike do you race?

I race mostly CCS 600cc supersport (at age 63). Still recovering from an October crash on the infield at Daytona International Speedway. Was lucky. No broken bones/no surgery. But knocked out for long time and my left leg was FUBAR.
Just got back riding two weeks ago - on my V ROD. STILL can't bend my left knee enough to ride the sportbikes.
boscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #86
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

I will state it again, there is no HD production bike that is fast enough to deem the rider a "Squid".
Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #87
ellundo
Lifetime Premium

63 years old here with 43,000 miles on my 05 SE CVO bike that I bought in the summer of 05. It is my first Harley but I've been riding since 1965 on all kinds of jap bikes. At the last super Saturday at Hoosier Harley in Elkhart IN this year I went out to my bike to leave and four guys were standing by it. When I went to put my key in one of them said they had been waiting for the owner to come back, wanted to talk about the bike. Said almost everyone that walked past stopped and checked it out. that drives my riding buddy that has a very nice Softail Duece crazy because when we are parked together most of the people that make any comments about our bikes are usually talking about mine. I've mostly had nice compliments about my bike and if anyone says it's not a real Harley I just say it's not a real slow Harley. There are riders and then there are owners and my experience is that the riders appreciate the Vrod and I could care less what the owners think.
05 Orange SE, Rineharts w/double length Stealth baffles, Race tuner, Topless/K & N air filter, equal length velocity stacks, Metzlers (200 rear), Corbin Young Guns seat, Rick's tank, Ultimate Touring windshield w/modified mounting, 08 slipper clutch, Progressive fork springs and 440 shocks, HD LED tail light and rear running light module. Remember like Jim said "No one here gets out alive."
ellundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #88
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellundo View Post
63 years old here with 43,000 miles on my 05 SE CVO bike that I bought in the summer of 05. It is my first Harley but I've been riding since 1965 on all kinds of jap bikes. At the last super Saturday at Hoosier Harley in Elkhart IN this year I went out to my bike to leave and four guys were standing by it. When I went to put my key in one of them said they had been waiting for the owner to come back, wanted to talk about the bike. Said almost everyone that walked past stopped and checked it out. that drives my riding buddy that has a very nice Softail Duece crazy because when we are parked together most of the people that make any comments about our bikes are usually talking about mine. I've mostly had nice compliments about my bike and if anyone says it's not a real Harley I just say it's not a real slow Harley. There are riders and then there are owners and my experience is that the riders appreciate the Vrod and I could care less what the owners think.
Spot on, from what I can tell those that get all Up In Arms when people say rubbish like "Thats not a Real Harley" or other nonsense are the people who bought it Because it was a Harley as the most important reason. As you say, when I am faced with the same "Conversation" I say "I know thats why I bought it".
Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #89
Dr Dave
Buy American!

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwingding View Post
When I get the occasional "that's not a REAL Harley" I respond with "that's why I bought it!" Never, ever have had a good comeback to that. However, most Harley owners are seriously intrigued and impressed by my V, I almost never get shit about it.

Ride it like your life depended on it.
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #90
RodKing
The Crusades

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoe View Post
To the op: You won't find many V-Rodders at the traditional Harley haunts. V-Rodders are the REAL rebels of the H-D family since they actually think outside the box, look forward, not to the past - and generally ignore what is socially acceptable in the H-D family/cult.
As for V-Rodders being squids, nah. While you can be a squid at any age, most H-D customers are too old for that - and going fast is relative. Squidly behavior is limited to young sportbikers, which is as cool in that culture as a nice do-rag and wallet chain in cruiser world.

Wow! Most excellent analogy.

I like this kind of thinking. However, I never thought of myself as a real "rebel" until now and then it dawned on me that your are correct. But even though I now consider myself a "rebel" - I'm not gettin' no stinkin' doooorag..Period!
RodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement