06 VRSCR Rear Tire Recommendations - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCR
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #16
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoygeha View Post
I've tried the Dunlops, Metzlers, and Avon's....
The Metzlers got the best mileage.
The Avon's are the best grip in all conditions, Mileage was still better than the Dunlops.
Bridgstone makes a tire for our bike, I have not tried it.
I was not even aware that Pirelli even made tires for our bikes, I'll look into those...
Pirelli owns Metzler so that does not surprise me. Their lines pretty much overlap now, sharing carcasses. Bridgestones sound interesting. The more product choices for our bikes the better.
Now, if we could get rid of this nitwit air conditioning bubba CEO and replace him with a true motorcycle rider, but I digress..............
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
stevea

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The Dunlops are the worst tire I have ever ridden. I cannot begin to say how much I hate them. I would go with the Avons or the Metzlers.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
Xoygeha
Where's Max?

In my post above I forgot to mention tire life...
I always run my tires at 40/40 front and rear, I do a lot of 2-up riding, and I'm no small man. I can and do handle my own in the corners, I like to take them frequently. Look at NM 152 between Hillsboro and Silver City if you want an example, just zoom in close enough to see the hairpins...

Dunlop - Flat spots developed after 4500 miles and replaced with Metzlers.
Metzlers - Rode these for 10k miles before the wear bar was visable on the rear. Replaced with Avon. The first 3500 miles on the metzler were pre-turbo, the last 6500 miles were post turbo. I'd like to mention that the only reason I went with the Avon's originally was because I found them for ~$15 dollars difference from a local retailer, (aparently he couldn't sell them and was damn near taking a loss)
Avon Cobra - I have had these tires on my bike now for 13k miles. The back was replaced after 2k due to a large sharp scrap of metal protruding from it, but the front is still WELL within specs for safe riding.

I do not think that I will be using another tire for the V-Rod, unless michelin can be convinced to make their Pilot Road 2ct tires in our sizes.
"WTF" 2006 Kawasaki ZX14R: Muzzy M-10 4:1 megaphone, K&N, PC-V

In memory of those Loved and Lost...
Rest in Peace

Melissa Dardar: June 14, 1968 - August 29, 2010
Taken from this world too soon, You will be missed dearly!
Xoygeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #19
Philthy
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoygeha View Post
In my post above I forgot to mention tire life...
I always run my tires at 40/40 front and rear, I do a lot of 2-up riding, and I'm no small man. I can and do handle my own in the corners, I like to take them frequently. Look at NM 152 between Hillsboro and Silver City if you want an example, just zoom in close enough to see the hairpins...

Dunlop - Flat spots developed after 4500 miles and replaced with Metzlers.
Metzlers - Rode these for 10k miles before the wear bar was visable on the rear. Replaced with Avon. The first 3500 miles on the metzler were pre-turbo, the last 6500 miles were post turbo. I'd like to mention that the only reason I went with the Avon's originally was because I found them for ~$15 dollars difference from a local retailer, (aparently he couldn't sell them and was damn near taking a loss)
Avon Cobra - I have had these tires on my bike now for 13k miles. The back was replaced after 2k due to a large sharp scrap of metal protruding from it, but the front is still WELL within specs for safe riding.

I do not think that I will be using another tire for the V-Rod, unless michelin can be convinced to make their Pilot Road 2ct tires in our sizes.
Avon and Dunlop both last less than 4800 miles on my R, ridden solo, bone stock engine and exhaust, no burn outs or other abuse. No track days. All are highway and back road miles.
I have a very hard time believing claims of five figure rear tire mileages on these bikes.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #20
Xoygeha
Where's Max?

LOL, Well there you have it. I have lied to you all.

As I stated in my previous post, I _PERSONALLY_ have gotten those miles from these tires. If your experience is different, then that is your experience. I have nothing to gain by lying, so please stop insinuating such.
"WTF" 2006 Kawasaki ZX14R: Muzzy M-10 4:1 megaphone, K&N, PC-V

In memory of those Loved and Lost...
Rest in Peace

Melissa Dardar: June 14, 1968 - August 29, 2010
Taken from this world too soon, You will be missed dearly!
Xoygeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
FastVRJohnny
Banned

Lux had a great post on the dif between the Avon and the Metz. He showed pics of both tires after about 5-6k I believe and the Avon looked brand new yet.

I went with the 200 Metz and have zero complaints after about 2700 miles, but that 2700 isn't 5000 yet. My stock Duncraps made it 6300 before having to replace, and they were about 1000 over what I should have gone.
FastVRJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #22
Veeon
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Avon and Dunlop both last less than 4800 miles on my R, ridden solo, bone stock engine and exhaust, no burn outs or other abuse. No track days. All are highway and back road miles.
I have a very hard time believing claims of five figure rear tire mileages on these bikes.
Okay, now I understand why Dunlops suck. I love mine for how they stick, not for how they wear. I replace at 4K. I get antsy if the mileage on them gets near 4500. I have ridden Metzlers on BMW's. Great mileage, scary slippery though. I prefer a soft sticky compound because I value my butt. Unfortunately they go off song faster then the hard compounds.
Veeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #23
jsopiela
Registered Full

Thanks guys. I now have no idea what tire to buy! LOL
From all the posts, it seems like different people have had different experiences from different tires. Although my Metzlers have gone slick on the sides after 4500 miles of canyon riding, there is no cupping and overall I am happy with their handling characteristics.
Looks like I'm going with another set of them . . . maybe upgrade with a 200 rear.
jsopiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #24
bcrichard
bcrichard

Brazilian Metzlers

I found this concern on the "Harley Tech Talk" site re: Metzler made in Brazil. I know this is a different model and size than the Vrod but since Metzlers are now being fitted to the 2011 Harleys I wonder if this might be a possible problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_tire_2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	158906   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_tire.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	158907   Click image for larger version

Name:	66383_166859496664660_125159740834636_596212_1717704_n.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	158908  
bcrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #25
AOW
K.I.A. '07 AW

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
jsopiela: two other CA based 'A' owners have used dunlops & Metz but swear by Avons for longevity and handling. Lux has 80k on his bike and is on his 3rd set of Avons I believe, shudude has 180k on his and Avons are his tires of choice. Give Avons a try, these two high mileage CA residents swear by them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrichard View Post
I found this concern on the "Harley Tech Talk" site re: Metzler made in Brazil. I know this is a different model and size than the Vrod but since Metzlers are now being fitted to the 2011 Harleys I wonder if this might be a possible problem.
that was an isolated incident with tyres manufactured about 3 years ago.
High/low beam mod
"1130cc classifieds" are your friend
embrace the "google search" function.... site:1130cc.com:
HOW TO pull codes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero
Nobody cares about your shit like you
Fuel gauge? We don't need no stinking Fuel gauge!!!
AOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #26
Dancing Dogs
Locktite Queen

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Thanks for the info..i believe I am riding with the Avon Venoms on 17 in Buell wheels and they are awesome on the R. I couldn't be happier with the tires.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #27
thegreyman
Registered Full

Well folks I read all the input. Let me refresh this post. I am now also in the need of new tires. I have the Dunlaps with 8K on them. They need to go asap, as they are slippery as hell.

I am not a drag racer nor a big burnout guy. I need a good "sticky/grippy" tire that will work well for commuting in wet conditons.

Please send me the best tire for the above formula. Ohh and I ride an 06 VRSCR.

thanks in advance.

2006 Street Rod
2009 Guzzi Griso
2011 Yamaha Stryker (sold)
thegreyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #28
streetrodder06
Thread Killer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I only ran Metzelers on my R.. the 200 fits perfectly with ZERO modifications to put it on the bike. The wet weather grip is very good and the dry grip is great. Even with way too many burnouts at the strip, I got over 7,000 miles on the rear..

Michael
2012 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC: 167hp

2007 & 2012 KC Rally "stock" 1130cc Dyno Shootout Champ

Proud member of the 07 4am club!!
streetrodder06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #29
thegreyman
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodder06 View Post
I only ran Metzelers on my R.. the 200 fits perfectly with ZERO modifications to put it on the bike. The wet weather grip is very good and the dry grip is great. Even with way too many burnouts at the strip, I got over 7,000 miles on the rear..
Thanks-metzler it is! How did you like the 200 as compared to the 180?

2006 Street Rod
2009 Guzzi Griso
2011 Yamaha Stryker (sold)
thegreyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #30
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I found the Avon grip better, wet or dry. Both of mine wear them, and my ST has storm 2 ultras by Avon. I vote with my dollars.
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
CPTJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement