What eBay is for... - Page 7 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #91
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by VrodG View Post
If lbrown was to replace the buell wheels with carbon fiber he would be well below the 520lbs. If we can do it HD shouldn't have any problem with reducing weight.
Ya well we are not trying to produce a bike for the masses. Wasn't that Louis's original point? T o make it more appealing to a broader mass? With that in mind HD must include things like rear seat's, rear pegs suspension to handle 2-up and turn signals are a must for instance, HD is also strapped with an exhaust that must meet EPA noise limits which will be long, multiple pieces and heavy, something we do not have to adhere to.
Reducing weight I'm all for but to expect 520 STOCK is a pipe dream. I've gone all aluminum skins which also include much smaller fenders (180-R and sport-F) than stock DX and modified 180 seat pan , replaced the crappy steel pegs and mounts with billet, saved 20 or so on the exhaust, lighter wheels, stripped DA and reflectors, smaller billet turns, replaced the heavy nacelle with original headlight, modded and drilled belt guard and so it goes and 520 is a long ways off.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #92
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
Frame integrity? Please feel free to find where I wrote that. How many times have I read others complain about your posts where you put words in their mouths. Here we go again.
Well my mistake then. Pray tell what you meant by "the frame doesn't back-up the engine".
Old 11-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #93
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
Ya well we are not trying to produce a bike for the masses. Wasn't that Louis's original point? T o make it more appealing to a broader mass? With that in mind HD must include things like rear seat's, rear pegs suspension to handle 2-up and turn signals are a must for instance, HD is also strapped with an exhaust that must meet EPA noise limits which will be long, multiple pieces and heavy, something we do not have to adhere to.
Reducing weight I'm all for but to expect 520 STOCK is a pipe dream. I've gone all aluminum skins which also include much smaller fenders (180-R and sport-F) than stock DX and modified 180 seat pan , replaced the crappy steel pegs and mounts with billet, saved 20 or so on the exhaust, lighter wheels, stripped DA and reflectors, smaller billet turns, replaced the heavy nacelle with original headlight, modded and drilled belt guard and so it goes and 520 is a long ways off.
Wheels, rotors, rear subrame (alloy one perfectly plausible, if mass produced by Harley), exhaust (only bit that is expensive, titanium and cf), and then the general lightening of which you speak. Now we are at 550, probably quite a lot less. The engine is way heavier than my similar KTM motor, it is hard to avoid thinking this is because no one much cared. 30lbs to go there.

Harley wanted a bike to break into a new market, but when they came to do it they ended up being happy to just beat their own bikes. A missed chance. 520lbs/130bhp would have been easy, if they had made it a firm target.

I like the bike fine as it is. But outside the Harley and Harley knock off sector (what you call Cruisers) nobody has ever heard of it. Shame, it deserves better.

Sent from my e1808_v75_jbaol1_5647 using Motorcycle.com App

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #94
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
You have a lot more work to do because you bought a fat bike.
VrodG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #95
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Wheels, rotors, rear subrame (alloy one perfectly plausible, if mass produced by Harley), exhaust (only bit that is expensive, titanium and cf), and then the general lightening of which you speak. Now we are at 550, probably quite a lot less. The engine is way heavier than my similar KTM motor, it is hard to avoid thinking this is because no one much cared. 30lbs to go there.

Harley wanted a bike to break into a new market, but when they came to do it they ended up being happy to just beat their own bikes. A missed chance. 520lbs/130bhp would have been easy, if they had made it a firm target.

I like the bike fine as it is. But outside the Harley and Harley knock off sector (what you call Cruisers) nobody has ever heard of it. Shame, it deserves better.

Sent from my e1808_v75_jbaol1_5647 using Motorcycle.com App
I agree HD could produce a lighter bike and meet epa regs but HD build bikes like JD builds tractors.
VrodG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #96
Vambo
Banned

Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #97
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrodG View Post
You have a lot more work to do because you bought a fat bike.
I sure don't stress over it and there isn't another V I'd rather have or would have. I do what I can if it's fairly cheap and easy regarding weight. If I thought a light weight bike built for speed was the end all I would have went with Buell or 1 of dozens much better choices than a V-Rod or an HD. No? Sure they can be lighter and more HP, what couldn't? Never really said different, just that 520 is a little crazy and another 20 or so horsies won't put you at the top of the food chain either. 520# STOCK is getting to be funny.

some of the competition, and all are heavier -

Vulcan Classic: 761#
V-Max: 683#
Boulevard: 765#
Rocket: 704#
Honda Saber: 664
Sponsored Links
Advertisement