Front motor mount - Page 4 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #46
myvrodrocks
myvrodrocks

Feedback Score: 24 reviews
This picture shows my mew mount installed with this old plate and the rubber donut still in place. It did not fit right and after confirming with Max, I took it out and cut it off...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mpount.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	81510  
myvrodrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #47
myvrodrocks
myvrodrocks

Sorry... 16307 is the rubber mount that you need to order. 05 or later...

16311 is the plate that you do not need to buy, you can peel your old one...
Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #48
myvrodrocks
myvrodrocks

One more thing that I want to mention that Max did not clarify in the very first post. (At least I didn't understand, you all might ) Those 2 black pieces that you see in the first picture is not just the mount that you are replacing. Max is also showing the bracket that bolts to the engine. (That is the black plate with the 4 holes in it) You do not need to order and replace this piece. Only the rubber circle that you see poking through. The rubber mount that you are replacing attaches to this bracket with the 2 large allen screws. You really can't see in this picture what the piece looks like. My old one is shown here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4595.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	81512  
Old 06-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #49
capthero5
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
got it figured out. this site is awesome. thanks!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #50
capthero5
Registered Full

Motor mount

well i finally tackled the front motor mount change. like all have previously stated...this job was a muther! this job requires serious patience! it took me about 7 hours. i do NOT want to do this anytime soon! that bolt on the left side is very hard to get at. my 03's motor mount was cracked half way, so i seriously recommend anyone with the older models to get it checked.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #51
mustanggt
Will Work For Mod $$

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
It took over an hour to get the old mount out. The rubber mount looks like new with about 9600 on the bike. The new version should be here this afternoon from Zanotti, so I'll upgrade to be on the safe side.

Yes, the two bolts that hold the bracket to the engine on the shifter side were a bitch. Without the proper tools and a lot of patience boys & girls, it's not an easy job. Plus it's about 89 degrees here with high humidity and the sweat was dripping into my eyes during most of the job......

Another 1 1/2 hours to get the new one in and bolted up.....my advice to anyone who is going to do it, DO NOT snug any of the bolts down, including the large bolt that goes through the mount until all of the bolts have started in their proper locations......

Max, if you did the complete job in 1 1/2 hours, you are my hero.....

'02, Weld Charger 5 Chrome Front & Charger 5 8.5" Chrome Rear Wheel w/ Metz 240, Trick Tank, 12" Smooth Ride Shocks, Keyless Ignition, CFR Pipe w/cone, PCIIIUSB, SE Filter, Top-Less, HID Low Beams, Air Horn, HD Drag Bars, SE Custom Solo Seat, Doc's Stage 1 Light w/ Strobes, LED Rear Turn Signal Strip, Side-Mounted License Plate Holder, $50 clunk nut & Lots of Shiny Chrome.

'09 Street Glide, Black Pearl, Cruise, Security, ABS & Monster Ovals.
mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #52
windtemplar2003
Registered Full

Great job boys I'm starting to feel a little old school with a 2003 model
Old 12-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #53
andrew
Registered Full

Myvrodrocks,

Did you leave the doughnut off the frame bracket when you completed the installation of the new front motor mount, and if it's possible can you provide a few pics showing the completed upgrade?

Thanks,
Andrew
Is it possible for you guys to provide a few pics on the new front motor mount installation that you have performed, especially one showing the frame bracket without the doughnut.

Thanks
andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #54
Max
Color me Gone

Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew
Myvrodrocks,

Did you leave the doughnut off the frame bracket when you completed the installation of the new front motor mount, and if it's possible can you provide a few pics showing the completed upgrade?

Thanks,
Andrew
Is it possible for you guys to provide a few pics on the new front motor mount installation that you have performed, especially one showing the frame bracket without the doughnut.

Thanks
When your done there is no way to tell early from late design when bolted up. If yo look at the very first post in this thread you will see new and old top bracket. When you pry the washer and rubber off the old looks just like the new one.

The road of life sometimes seems full of potholes. RIP Jeannie, Alex and Brian. I'll never forget any of you.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #55
Rabbi
Registered Full

I just changed my upper motor mount and like everyone else I hope I never have to do it again. I did find an alternate method of loosing the left side bolt without taking the radiator off, you still have to loosen the bottom of the radiator for enough working space but you don't have to have the mess of taking the radiator off.

I pulled the battery and was able to get a 8mm long ball hex drive with an 3/8 extension on the bolt while I used a 15mm socket to take the nut off. The hardest part was scraping the old rubber off the top bracket.

The old style mount was still good (no cracks that I could find) after 38000 miles, but still glad I made the change to the new style.
Courage in our own.

Adam Lindsay Gordon. (1833–1870)
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #56
BT
Gone

Holy thread revival.............
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #57
Rabbi
Registered Full

LOL yea I know,
But I wanted to share my alternate method of getting to the left side bolt without taking the radiator off, just might help someone who has to tackle this job in the future.
Courage in our own.

Adam Lindsay Gordon. (1833–1870)
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #58
Cheatin
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Damn, I bought the new mount a few years back and still haven't put it in!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #59
HoneyB
Pat (Patrick!)

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatin View Post
Damn, I bought the new mount a few years back and still haven't put it in!
Slacker!
Tiger Racing belt guards, Pondo's pivot bolt covers & 'V' valve stem caps, Tyson's black riser and foot levers, Metzler ME 880's, black 5 spoke '08D wheels and rear pulley, Mini LED rear signals, Progressive suspension, Jeannie Guardian Bell!(so far!)

1978 Honda XL350 (w/4300 miles on it!)

Jedi:"It's free to be a member, but it'll cost your ass in the end..."
HoneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #60
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
One tell tale indication the front mount is sagging is to look at the junction of your header and the third volume and see if the clamp is touching the frame. I discovered this trying to suss out a vibe between 4-5K and noticed the clamp from the header to the third volume was digging a nice hole in the removable frame member. Roundabout chasing that problem I came to suspect worn engine mounts. When the old ones were removed, the front mount was obviously distorted. With new mounts, and a new frame down tube, the exhaust no longer touches the frame.
Advertisement