vrod un even front tire ware - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #31
SvFiat
Kidzap

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Most uneven tire wear is due to misalignment and improper inflation. Take your bike into a flat parking lot speed up to 30 mph and take your hands off the bars you should be going straight. If not your out of alignment. If you tend to go to the left the right side of the rear axle is usually too far back. To the right the opposite is true. Due to the slop in the right axle cam, your right side is usually more forward, as was the case with mine. Measure the distance from the center of the swing arm bolt to the center of the axle on both sides. Close doesn't cut it, they must be the same. There is an alignment tool made for this, but a tape measure and a little patience yields the same result.

SvFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #32
Rich Moran
Riding the good life

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not stupid at all, your becoming more perceptive to the road surface as far as being level or not.

You have to consider the crown in the road. Roads typically are sloped to the right to allow water run off and because of this will throw off your point of contact between the bottom of your foot and the roads surface causing you to balance the bike with the weight on one side which would be to the left.

This would be more prevalent on US and other roadways where traffic runs left to right when facing the roadway from a sidewalk or ditch.

If one ever goes to a country where the trafic runs reverso, beware when crsossing the street as when doing so if you do not look right firstyou just might get smacked by a vehicle.

I think the crown fact may have been posted prior as this subject has been hashed out many times since 2003 so I have not gone back to review postings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyvic View Post
This kinda sounds stupid, but I was riding today and while coasting behind traffic, took my left hand off the bars and noticed how the bike was leaning to the left to keep it balanced. I do this a fair amount in traffic and it made me think of this thread and whether it could have anything at all to do with this. How many of us do this?

Seems unlikely, but I thought I'd throw it out there...
Advertisement