What eBay is for... - Page 5 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #61
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I didn't need to be in the boardroom, Willie G himself has described it as a "Harley for people who don't like Harleys". Something designed to garner a new market in other words. Trouble is, it didn't go quite far enough.

It was easy to sell the bike to people, like you, who like Harleys, think in terms of cruisers, and ride in America. But there are is a whole huge market of people who don't ride in the US and/or would not normally consider a cruiser and/or have never considered a Harley. And the V-Rod just slipped past them, unnoticed. Sill too heavy, still not enough power. Which is a shame, because more power and lower weight were easily achievable, Harley just didn't try. 115BHP, 650lb might have been a miracle to you, but to most other people it was nothing exciting. If it had been 130BHP, 520lb, then nobody could have ignored it. It would have been right up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
LOL! Louis you talk design goals and customer demographics like you were in the boardroom when the V-Rod was conceived, discussed, rehashed, shelved and reopened, and you no doubt were still in daddy's nut sack when this bike was first discussed. This bike, in one form or another, and called whatever, and progressed however thru the years in one form or another, was in Willie G's imagination since the 70's, maybe before. A lot of history, a lot of experience, a lot of thinking was done between then and now, I'm sure he and HD achieved exactly what they set out to do given unforeseen obstacles, Whether or not it pleases the Portuguese market I'm sure was on the bottom of the list.

***And yes Loius, you are correct, it was 10 years ago. And ten years a 115 HP Harley was a focking miracle. Remember all the hype? The industry was buzzing about it. A115HP cruiser which could do 11's was basically thee benchmark then, so your theory has leaks. 20 more HP would have been great but they "shocked the world" regardless.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #62
Outlander
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ybbogus View Post
Comparing the FZ to the Rod is ludicrous. I very much doubt that was the market HD was going for.
All things technical aside, the original VRSC was a visually stunning bike with very respectable performance.
Did they miss the mark? I don't know. I don't think it was ever to be a "common" bike, which is just fine with me. Choices are great. You want a fast plastic bike? You got it.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
Yes, my personal experience is ludicrous. I should have forgotten everything I knew about motorcycles in over 30 years of riding by 2002 and just accepted the V-Rod on aesthetics, respectable performance and ignored the fact that it was a pretty miserable ride and that there were a lot of better bikes available.

I'd bought a second one a couple years ago was because they'd depreciated so dramatically that it was cheap to pick one up and go after the issues as a project. Sure it looked good but the chasis couldn't back up the engine so I got bored and moved on.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #63
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Just a little 411, lbrown bike weights in at 525lbs

oh it kills me when this information is on the forum and people are more interested in trolling than learning.
VrodG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #64
Outlander
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrodG View Post
Just a little 411, lbrown bike weights in at 525lbs

oh it kills me when this information is on the forum and people are more interested in trolling than learning.
What is a lbrown bike?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #65
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
One thing I have discovered in my short 6.5 year of motorcycling is that 90% of the people who own bikes not only own the Best Bike that does everything (including windows) but its also better then everyone else's. Louis is very truthful in his breakdown of the bikes he owns and what each does in his environment. I know for a fact that the 2002 VRSCA is the Best goddamned VROD ever released. Best Tech? Not a chance, Tech has improved greatly over the 10 years, but its still the only damned bike I ever did see that I said "I have to have that goddamned thing" and got one.
What is it that the teach law enforcement? The Eye witness is the least credible source of finding out the truth of a matter? Someone plunks down some serious cash for a Thing and of course their mind has to make it the Best choice in the world. Just like everyone thinks their kids are the smartest and best looking etc... but yet the world is full of idiots.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #66
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
What is a lbrown bike?
Come on you've been around since 04 and don't know who lbrown is?

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=28
Old 11-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #67
Outlander
Registered Full

Quote:
You're talking to terminal patients looking for a new cure.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #68
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

I stand corrected its 532lbs
Old 11-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #69
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
You're talking to terminal patients looking for a new cure.
terminal patients that got the job done.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #70
Outlander
Registered Full

Quote:
terminal patients that got the job done.
I'll admit that dropping 80 lbs is impressive.

My VFR1200 weighed about that but, while it has been panned for being heavy for a sport bike, it was a blast to ride in the corners. I suspect lbrown's was still scraping parts around 30 degrees of lean angle.

Admittedly the R is a better tool for the job but you're still looking at putting it on a weight loss program to get it where it could/should have been originally. I'd buy a modern R.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #71
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

The reason I posted the info is because dumbo said it couldn't be done.

I won't compare sports bike to Vrods, they are 2 different animals.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #72
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Quote:
I stand corrected its 532lbs
Won't be street legal though. On the other hand he didn't get a say in the design of the core components. The numbers I picked, 520lb and 130BHP, were only off the top of my head. 550 and 140 might be nearer it. Either way, the chassis could have been considerably lighter without greatly raising cost or changing the looks, and 135BHp (claimed) would have been a doddle - they already claim 125 for the current stock bikes, and stage 2 cams, which plenty of people are using without howls of rage about lost torque, would have added another 5 to 10. And at that point it would have been noticed by people other than those looking for a Harley cruiser.

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #73
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

what do you mean not street legal?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #74
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Quote:
what do you mean not street legal?
I doubt the exhaust hits noise regs just for starters.

However, I am certain it can be done though. The solid wheels weigh a ton, fit Muscle wheels. The rotors are heavy, they don't have to be, the Galfers are light enough. The Akropovic exhaust is, I think, capable of hitting noise regs with the baffle in, and it is very light (but expensive...). The rear subrame is insanely heavy (couldn't believe it when I handled one), make it in alloy. Amd no effort has been made to ligten anything else. Then, the engine is heavy. Porsche, who re-engineered it from the race engine, clearly didn't bother about weight and that will have been Harley's choice. And finally weight has clearly not been an issue anywhere - everything could be a bit lighter, and it all adds up.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
Old 11-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #75
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I doubt the exhaust hits noise regs just for starters.

However, I am certain it can be done though. The solid wheels weigh a ton, fit Muscle wheels. The rotors are heavy, they don't have to be, the Galfers are light enough. The Akropovic exhaust is, I think, capable of hitting noise regs with the baffle in, and it is very light (but expensive...). The rear subrame is insanely heavy (couldn't believe it when I handled one), make it in alloy. Amd no effort has been made to ligten anything else. Then, the engine is heavy. Porsche, who re-engineered it from the race engine, clearly didn't bother about weight and that will have been Harley's choice. And finally weight has clearly not been an issue anywhere - everything could be a bit lighter, and it all adds up.
Did you even look at lbrown's bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement