Update on my hiccuping B - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
XvtxCrewzr
Crash Bandacoot

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Update on my hiccuping B

First off, I'd like to give a BIG THANKS to all who responded to my earlier post on the issue I had with my B.

I had been on the road a few days in my Big Rig and asked my son to take a look at the B. I told him her symptoms and the suggestions members from this great forum responded with,on what to check.

I told him to install the plug leads from a trickle charger a friend gave to me onto the battery and then remove the upper and lower parts of the air cleaner to check the three ground wires to see if any were loose or frayed or damaged somehow and then to plug in the charger to charge the battery abit.

He sent me a text not long after saying as he was about to install the trickle chargers leads to the battery,the bolt/nut that holds the ground wire to the battery was so loose,that the wire had enough room to wiggle/flop about on the bolt! He said he then tightened the bolt and plugged in the trickle charger. He said the charger showed a bit of charging then the green light came on indicating the battery was fully charged. So I am assuming that after almost 7 yrs,the battery is still in ok shape cause it didnt take much time to be fully charged.

He then proceeded to back her out of the garage and take her for a spin thru the back roads,grabbing handfulls of throttle,letting the bike stay at different rpm's then twisting the throttle hard,to see if he could replicate the situation i was able to do just a few days prior,to try and make her hiccup and fart and buck..he said he couldnt make her misbehave

So tomorrow,I will take her out myself and give her a work-out If it was truly just a "loose wire" I'll be buyin' the beers!

Decemeber 22 I will have had this bike 7 yrs. Not alot of miles on her...23k,bought her with 10 miles on the clock. By springtime I will have the 3rd set of sneakers on her,and still have the original battery in her.Changed brake pads once.
countless oil/filter changes..still have the original spock plugs in her Other than this "fart period" but was still able to make it home,the ONLYproblem I had after I put new wheels and tyres on her,I didnt have the drivebelt adjusted properly,and it snapped less than 2 miles from the house
I have been out to Utica NY from here in CT 4 times..Allentown PA 3 times,Thru VT and NH twice,and to hell and back countless of times and getting 45 mpg to boot!
When I first saw the V in '02 I thought H-D went off their rocker,fugliest ride on two wheels etc etc etc.. and here I am now
with what I consider a very FAST,agile,and comfy,and GREAT LOOKING scooter!! I will never give her up without a fight!
And THANKS to all who helped getting her in top form once again,you guys are the best!
'05 VRSCB,Sundowner seat with pillon,chrome side covers,chrome switch housings,chrome fuel cell covers,chrome brake/clutch resevoir covers,chrome engine kit,luggage rack,chrome swingarm,chrome upper/lower belt covers,pivot covers,power commander III with SE slip-ons and SE airfilter,and more chrome
Also a vintage '72 750 Norton Commando,and a Yammi XJ700 Maxim X
Now I'm REALLY
XvtxCrewzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
Luvmy04VRod
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Glad to hear that's all it was!
Now go change your spark plugs.
PROUD Member Post #149 Las Vegas, NV.

Lord forgive me for what I am about to do but these b@sterds must die!
I will NEVER apologize nor waste my time defending my God-given right to keep and bear arms; The more and bigger the arms, the better
!!
Luvmy04VRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
XvtxCrewzr
Crash Bandacoot

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy04vrod View Post
glad to hear that's all it was!
Now go change your spark plugs.
:d :d :d
'05 VRSCB,Sundowner seat with pillon,chrome side covers,chrome switch housings,chrome fuel cell covers,chrome brake/clutch resevoir covers,chrome engine kit,luggage rack,chrome swingarm,chrome upper/lower belt covers,pivot covers,power commander III with SE slip-ons and SE airfilter,and more chrome
Also a vintage '72 750 Norton Commando,and a Yammi XJ700 Maxim X
Now I'm REALLY
XvtxCrewzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
James Houk
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Same thing happened to me but the bike would not start and it was my only transportation at that moment. Since it was a starting issue the first place i looked wast the battery and sure enough the negative battery bolt was loose. After I found a screwdriver and tightened it up I was back on the road. Glad you had the same result.
James Houk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Loose ground wires are a real common problem with the V-Rod. It's the place to start if you have intermittent electrical problems or strange symptoms.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. - Mark Twain
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement