2008 v 2007 wheels. - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
2008 v 2007 wheels.

OK, so I've made hash of this. The idea is to turn an 08 (Muscle) wheel into an 07 (AW) wheel.

I was given to understand the total width of the 08 hub was the same as the 07. So, get an 07 inner spacer, two 07 bearings, machine the pocket deeper on the narrow bearing side of the 08 wheel until a 2007 bearing butted up against the 07 spacer, and Robert is your uncle's brother.

This is not working out.

The 07 internal spacer fills the gap between the 08 bearings fine. The hub would appear to be narrower, by the difference in width of the 08 and 07 bearing.

Q1 (the wheel is at the machine shop so I can't check), which is the narrow bearing side?

Q2 - you can't machine the pocket, there is not enough meat in the wheel. OK, so my machinist says "What's the problem? Just have the 07 bearing sticking out a bit - saves making a spacer anyway." I can't help feeling this won't work. But why?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
andycg
day dreaming...

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
louis, this is info i gathered from the forum, but never did it myself:

muscle wheels / 12+ DX wheels on pre-08 bikes

front wheel setup:
- use 25mm front axle p/n 41628-08
- use 25mm bearing p/n 9276A
- use front wheel inner sleeve p/n 41748-08
- reuse stock front wheel spacer

rear wheel setup
-use 1” wheel bearing that fits the narrow pocket: http://www.snowmobilebearings.com/62...x15-Sealed.htm
- use rear wheel inner sleeve p/n 43704-08
- reuse your stock rear wheel spacer, comp bowl, and pulley

to answer your q:

1. 08+ wheels has the same pocket depth on both side
2. well, it might works, so you'll make a thinner spacer? my concern is on the rear wheel brake side, stock spacer is thin enough. Not sure if you can make it thinner without compromising the strength.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycg View Post
louis, this is info i gathered from the forum, but never did it myself:

muscle wheels / 12+ DX wheels on pre-08 bikes

-use 1” wheel bearing that fits the narrow pocket: http://www.snowmobilebearings.com/62...x15-Sealed.htm
- use rear wheel inner sleeve p/n 43704-08
- reuse your stock rear wheel spacer, comp bowl, and pulley

to answer your q:

1. 08+ wheels has the same pocket depth on both side
2. well, it might works, so you'll make a thinner spacer? my concern is on the rear wheel brake side, stock spacer is thin enough. Not sure if you can make it thinner without compromising the strength.
Aha! That would explain a lot! This wheel came cheap off ebay. One side, I think, has been machined, but badly. We finished the job properly. The other side, I think he found what I have, no meat. I bought the snowmobile bearings, but lost them in a house move (Eva has been tearing the house apart for me again today, no joy). Maybe I buy them again, but first I wonder what the consequences are of the pulley side bearing protruding a bit from the pocket. Maybe I should press them in and offer it up...

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Stop. Buy the standard bearings for the 08 wheel. Put them back in. buy the 25mm axle. buy the pulley bearing that fits that axle. Bolt together. Don't you remember the machining nightmare I went through in 08 with my 08 D wheels? You have to put a .4mm sleeve on the brake so it wont rattle on the axle. Then, BOB's YOUR UNCLE! Joe
Bore size of the bearing pocket is the same for the 07 and 08 and up bearings - only thickness is different. You have not hurt anything, but you will if you leave too much bearing out of that wheel. .020 is ok, but more is prone to failure. I have seen several sets of snowmobile bearings fail. Just say no!
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
CPTJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTJAM View Post
Stop. Buy the standard bearings for the 08 wheel. Put them back in. buy the 25mm axle. buy the pulley bearing that fits that axle. Bolt together. Don't you remember the machining nightmare I went through in 08 with my 08 D wheels? You have to put a .4mm sleeve on the brake so it wont rattle on the axle. Then, BOB's YOUR UNCLE! Joe
Bore size of the bearing pocket is the same for the 07 and 08 and up bearings - only thickness is different. You have not hurt anything, but you will if you leave too much bearing out of that wheel. .020 is ok, but more is prone to failure. I have seen several sets of snowmobile bearings fail. Just say no!
It's the thickness - pocket depth - that we are talking about.

You are probably right, but I'd like to work with what I have...

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
You can, just buy the 25mm axle, spacers and bearings, and bolt it up. I spent more in machining than a new wheel would cost, but, back then, there was no alternative. There is now. The stock parts work perfectly together. Joe
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
CPTJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Louis
Posting From The Pub

S'what I mean. Buying the Harley parts means picking them up late January.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement