Thinking of getting an HID light kit from DDM, but which one? How bright? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
vrodmiuwtant
Brian

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Thinking of getting an HID light kit from DDM, but which one? How bright?

Hey all,

I haven't been on here in a while as work interferes, but I was thinking of getting an HID kit from DDM for my 2004 "A" model. What I don't know is What bulb type? Wattage? And bulb color? Anybody have any issues with DDM? I've looked through some threads on here and seen mixed reviews about them. Also, what about an LED tail light? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help!

Brian
vrodmiuwtant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Heres a thread with a link of the install and a screen shot of what I ordered. I liked it a bit more Blue then others. I have had no troubles with my set up.
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=ddm
Old 11-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
sammy
# 12/50 Ignite LE

Just get the 35W slim ballast from DDM, you will be amazed at how much llight comes off of it, no need for 55W unless you want to piss people off. For the color, be advised that 5K (pure white light) has the most lumens of all the colors. I prefer the 6K, just has a touch of blue to it, although it lights the ground in white and has an insignificant amount of lumen reduction. As far as the quality of DDM HID's the first kit I have used from them was in my V-ROD and that was about 5 years ago and I have had zero issues with it. Also have installed several for others and never heard of any complaints.

Don't be scared. We haven't lost tradition...... we've gained technology!

2004 VRSCA
Two-tone Smokey Gold with Vivid Black
SE 16G Double Barrel Exhaust
SE Airfilter
97% Pure Harley Davidson
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

I hate HID retrofits. Not only are they illegal, they just dont look good. You should consider doing a DOT legal LED upgrade or retrofit projectors.

You should consider the Truck-Lite Phase 7 LEDs. Direct swap, no hiding of ballasts, no changing of bulbs, they are legal, they dont have as much glare to oncoming vehicals.

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/tlc27270c.html
WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
Just get the 35W slim ballast from DDM, you will be amazed at how much llight comes off of it, no need for 55W unless you want to piss people off. For the color, be advised that 5K (pure white light) has the most lumens of all the colors. I prefer the 6K, just has a touch of blue to it, although it lights the ground in white and has an insignificant amount of lumen reduction. As far as the quality of DDM HID's the first kit I have used from them was in my V-ROD and that was about 5 years ago and I have had zero issues with it. Also have installed several for others and never heard of any complaints.
I have the DDM kit for the Sporties and DX models, I am going to try and fit it to my new Triumph Scrambler.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
capngeo
George

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I did mine shortly after Luxie... Went 55w, 6k for both buldb, and the low beam always on mod. Other than the. "Bulb Bucket" being a wee bit toasted, no issues...

The World's ONLY "Firefighter Special Edition" V-Rod

Ol' Bubba, Popes of Hell MC

You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot o' experience...
The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck
capngeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
lastinline
on the hwy to hell

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post

totally agree, I'm only running the 35w low beam no real need for a high, plenty of light, the LED lights don't fit the F bucket so never considered them and they're ugly
Old 11-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
vrodmiuwtant
Brian

Question This is what I'm going with...

Ok, so I see that Lux went with the 55w but I think I'll go with the 35w one. Same bulb as Lux, the H11 in 6k. Capngeo, you did both bulbs? Hi and Low? Did it make that much difference in you hi beam?

Thanks all for the info, much appreciated!

Brian
vrodmiuwtant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

I did both bulbs at 55. Love it, I can see people up the road Thinking about turning left in front of me stopping until I pass because of the light.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee View Post
I hate HID retrofits. Not only are they illegal, they just dont look good. You should consider doing a DOT legal LED upgrade or retrofit projectors.

You should consider the Truck-Lite Phase 7 LEDs. Direct swap, no hiding of ballasts, no changing of bulbs, they are legal, they dont have as much glare to oncoming vehicals.

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/tlc27270c.html
Do these just drop in the DX mount? Presumably they don't work for the A?

Sent from my e1808_v75_jbaol1_5647 using Motorcycle.com App

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
capngeo
George

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrodmiuwtant View Post
Ok, so I see that Lux went with the 55w but I think I'll go with the 35w one. Same bulb as Lux, the H11 in 6k. Capngeo, you did both bulbs? Hi and Low? Did it make that much difference in you hi beam?

Thanks all for the info, much appreciated!

Brian
I did both and have the always on low beam (needed if you go HID as there is a ramp-up time for the low beam to come back on and you're left in the dark)...

Like Lux said, I see people all the time getting ready to pull out then stopping as they see the light. It's so bright on high that I see light reflecting on street signs in broad daylight, and small children hide behind their mothers. I keep the high beams on full time all day with no wire/battery/alternator issues.

The World's ONLY "Firefighter Special Edition" V-Rod

Ol' Bubba, Popes of Hell MC

You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot o' experience...
The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck
capngeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
I did both and have the always on low beam (needed if you go HID as there is a ramp-up time for the low beam to come back on and you're left in the dark)...

Like Lux said, I see people all the time getting ready to pull out then stopping as they see the light. It's so bright on high that I see light reflecting on street signs in broad daylight, and small children hide behind their mothers. I keep the high beams on full time all day with no wire/battery/alternator issues.
Yup I so the same, brights all day long and it's excellent
Old 11-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
sullivancorner
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
I did both bulbs at 55. Love it, I can see people up the road Thinking about turning left in front of me stopping until I pass because of the light.
The reason they wait is not because of the head light but the anodized bike itself.
sullivancorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement