What eBay is for... - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #16
BT
I lift heavy things.

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrman View Post
Yawn!
hahaha
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #17
Sweetas
Registered Full

I can help here!

Get a test pot of back denim paint then paint the bike on those pages with a fine brush of course... Then its a true v rod!

Book value will increase 10 fold!
Sweetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #18
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
The A - What Was.

It was truly a work of art, no doubt. It still holds a bit of nostalgia for me. But like all relationships between great art and artists the best is always yet to come. Yet to be drawn or even imagined when that article was written. Yet to know the depth of imagination and creativity that HD could eventually produce. Who knew then? Who knew what paint would do, what heights the V-Rod would reach?

and then it happened:

Enter the CVO's, the SE's and those gawdamn gorgeous paint schemes.
Enter tons of chrome
Enter the choice of color
Enter the R with optional ergonomics and more nimbleness and handling on those demanding California valleys.
Enter the D with optional foot placement, the 5gl tank, tire choices
Enter more HP yet
Enter the 1250

And then it happened, enter the DX which brought it all together and saved the Revo line, saved the V-Rod from the A's eventual fate!!!!
We'll stop there. Tony, take over.

Yes, the A was a ground breaker, especially for HD. But we have all moved on, it's been 10 years. The model A is appropriately named. It is reminiscent of and will forever be linked to the famous Henry Fords model A as the beginning of what eventually became greatness!
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 AM   #19
BT
I lift heavy things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
It was truly a work of art, no doubt. It still holds a bit of nostalgia for me. But like all relationships between great art and artists the best is always yet to come. Yet to be drawn or even imagined when that article was written. Yet to know the depth of imagination and creativity that HD could eventually produce. Who knew then? Who knew what paint would do, what heights the V-Rod would reach?

and then it happened:

Enter tons of chrome
Enter the R with optional ergonomics and more nimbleness and handling on those demanding California valleys.
Enter more HP yet
Enter the 1250

And then it happened, enter the DX which brought it all together and saved the Revo line, saved the V-Rod from the A's eventual fate!!!!

Yes, the A was a ground breaker, especially for HD. But we have all moved on, it's been 10 years. The model A is appropriately named. It is reminiscent of and will forever be linked to the famous Henry Fords model A as the beginning of what eventually became greatness!
Brought tears to my eyes......
Old 11-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #20
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tony View Post
Brought tears to my eyes......
Yes, emotional wasn't it?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #21
BT
I lift heavy things.

Unbelievable.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:

and then it happened:

Enter tons of chrome
Enter more HP yet
Enter the 1250

It was a missed opportunity. If they had made the engine 30lbs lighter (which Porsche would happily have done) and the frame 100lbs lighter (which is easy, have you lifted the exhaust or the rear subframe?) and the unspung weight s0lbs lighter (try Muscle wheels and galfer rotors) and the engine a 1250 stage 2 (130 BHP), and raised it just a fraction, then they would have had a bike no one could ignore.

As it was, and is, you only look at a V-Rod if you want a Harley and / or want a cruiser.

I'm not knocking the V-Rod, I love mine: but then I wanted a Harley, otherwise I'd never even have noticed it. But if it had been, in 2002, 130BHP, 520lbs and an inch higher, even people who would never have touched a Harley with a bargepole would have been interested.

Since 2002 it has got fatter and wobblier, and is now of even less interest to people who never wanted a Harley. In 2002, as launched, it was not modern enough to appeal to people who did not want a Harley, and was too modern to appeal to people who did. So it has sold OK, but was / is not the breakthrough product it could be.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
Ernie82
boredom kills

Louis - well said. I am sure someone will slam you for not kneeling and crossing yourself in front of the almighty bar and shield.

My take away is the people in product design just don't think along the lines of being competitive from a functional standpoint.

03 with lots of chrome
07 GT500 Convertible
disposable late model commuter cars
CBR954RR - sold
I edit typos not content
Ernie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #24
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
It was a missed opportunity. If they had made the engine 30lbs lighter (which Porsche would happily have done) and the frame 100lbs lighter (which is easy, have you lifted the exhaust or the rear subframe?) and the unspung weight s0lbs lighter (try Muscle wheels and galfer rotors) and the engine a 1250 stage 2 (130 BHP), and raised it just a fraction, then they would have had a bike no one could ignore.As it was, and is, you only look at a V-Rod if you want a Harley and / or want a cruiser.
I'm not knocking the V-Rod, I love mine: but then I wanted a Harley, otherwise I'd never even have noticed it. But if it had been, in 2002, 130BHP, 520lbs and an inch higher, even people who would never have touched a Harley with a bargepole would have been interested.Since 2002 it has got fatter and wobblier, and is now of even less interest to people who never wanted a Harley. In 2002, as launched, it was not modern enough to appeal to people who did not want a Harley, and was too modern to appeal to people who did. So it has sold OK, but was / is not the breakthrough product it could be.
Wow, all that sounds so damn easy Louie. Fact is, to make any real difference to "that" crowd it would have to have another 50-60 HP, eliminate the rake and long wheelbase, lighten it up feather-like, jack it's azz up well past the R and then what the fock would you have???? The V-Rod would be gone and the world would have yet another fockin' generic sports bike that Harley people wouldn't buy anyway, remember the Buell?.

Many of us are more than happy with it, it's plenty modern, the HP is respectable and adequate for the street, the weight complaints are a joke, and to me can be an advantage at speed in certain conditions, besides are we more concerned with 1/4 mile times or recreational riding on the STREET? The handling is respectable and the lean is average or better numbers for a true cruiser.

***In other words they hit the mark for that market.
If you need it to be something else, that's on you, but in my eyes it's just as advertised so I see no legitimate bitch here. If you want to bitch, I'd start with the price of that Fat Boy and what you got for the money. Wobble?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #25
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie82 View Post
Louis - well said. I am sure someone will slam you for not kneeling and crossing yourself in front of the almighty bar and shield.

My take away is the people in product design just don't think along the lines of being competitive from a functional standpoint.
They can think it, they can dream it, they can know it, shit it and eat it............but this is HD. The customer base, the faithful's wants and desires and most importantly the bottom line is what determines what they build. Sad but true. It's amazing the V made it out of the board room. It really is.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #26
cycorod
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Of course people want more power, better handling, lighter, etc...besides all the haters (typical FAT, HD AIRHEAD DIRTBAGZ, so many people love the look of the VROD, Especially the DX line. I let a couple of HA fruitcakes ride my DX, they were talking a little smack before the ride, when they got back (I wasn't planning on getting it back) they couldn't believe the power & handling.
cycorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #27
Ernie82
boredom kills

Quote:
............ The V-Rod would be gone and the world would have yet another fockin' generic sports bike that Harley people wouldn't buy anyway, remember the Buell?. ...........
Sport bikes sell when they are competitive. Period, end of story.

No one buys a slow race bike. The Buell always was inadequate due to the extremely heavy Sportster engine it was saddled with. In 2008 Buell dropped Harley's engine, and began to make some headway, they had some type of a reflash to the ECM in the first model year. In 2009 the finally 'had it right', even gaining accolades in the Motorcycle press, the new CEO from Johnson Controls made an accounting decision and closed Buell right when it had something to offer.

03 with lots of chrome
07 GT500 Convertible
CBR954RR - sold
I edit typos not content
Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #28
Ernie82
boredom kills

Quote:
They can think it, they can dream it, they can know it, shit it and eat it............but this is HD. The customer base, the faithful's wants and desires and most importantly the bottom line is what determines what they build. Sad but true. It's amazing the V made it out of the board room. It really is.
Couldn't agree more.

03 with lots of chrome
07 GT500 Convertible
CBR954RR - sold
I edit typos not content
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #29
FastVRJohnny
Banned

Ebay is also good for finding those tough to get custom covers for only 100.00!!

FastVRJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #30
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie82 View Post
Sport bikes sell when they are competitive. Period, end of story.

No one buys a slow race bike. The Buell always was inadequate due to the extremely heavy Sportster engine it was saddled with. In 2008 Buell dropped Harley's engine, and began to make some headway, they had some type of a reflash to the ECM in the first model year. In 2009 the finally 'had it right', even gaining accolades in the Motorcycle press, the new CEO from Johnson Controls made an accounting decision and closed Buell right when it had something to offer.
Exactly my point. The V-Rod will never compete in that market. Why do people insist it should? The Buell, even with the 130 some HP was relatively slow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement