What would you do if you were starting from scratch? - Page 5 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #61
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tony View Post
aaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #62
BT
BiaTches

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
aaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!
Bit nibblish..............
BT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #63
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
You are kidding me! I switch from 240 to 260 from time to time - I always use a 260 in the Summer for bike shows, but I sometime use a 240 in the Winter (didn't bother this year, the bike will be apart most of the Winter anyway, so I won't have worn it out before next year's rallies), and the difference is obvious.

Almost any bike will annihilate any car, that's largely why I ride. Interesting you pick a Busa though, that's a pretty slow bike in anything except a straight line. 150BHP is nothing these days, here's my cheap old 2006 sports bike - 150BHP, 421lbs. It is always going to leave any V-Rod standing. However, I generally ride my V-Rod, it's fun. It would not be much fun with less clearance and more unsprung weight though. It's marginal on those already.

What are you calling "decent wheels"? Lightest wheel I know for the V-Rod is the Muscle (excluding exotica like BST and 18" fronts from Buell), and I'm just off to see the bloke who is machining some for me...
The difference you think you feel is caused by different treads, not the 20mm difference. Vast majority of harleys on the road cannot keep up with a decent sports car. 150 BHP is definatly something on a NA Harley. I also have a R1 with 50 shot of nitrous and yes it toasts my dx. But if you bought a vrod for its cornering ability in the first place... well that was your first mistake.

By decent wheels, I was actually referring to the muscle wheels, though the BST or Buell wheels are even better. Even widened to 10.5 inches, the F wheels are still lighter than stock DX wheels. If you are so worried about weight, maybe a diet is a better idea than crying about a 300 tire.

Still my point stands. Unless you actually ride a vrod with a 300, you cant really talk about how horrid it rides. Yes it will be different, but it doesnt mean it is less enjoyable.

WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #64
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee View Post
The difference you think you feel is caused by different treads, not the 20mm difference. Vast majority of harleys on the road cannot keep up with a decent sports car. 150 BHP is definatly something on a NA Harley. I also have a R1 with 50 shot of nitrous and yes it toasts my dx. But if you bought a vrod for its cornering ability in the first place... well that was your first mistake.

By decent wheels, I was actually referring to the muscle wheels, though the BST or Buell wheels are even better. Even widened to 10.5 inches, the F wheels are still lighter than stock DX wheels. If you are so worried about weight, maybe a diet is a better idea than crying about a 300 tire.

Still my point stands. Unless you actually ride a vrod with a 300, you cant really talk about how horrid it rides. Yes it will be different, but it doesnt mean it is less enjoyable.

To get the specifics out of the way, what makes old tyres feel worse is the profile changes: I'm riding in conditions where the profile stays much the same. In fact mine wear out more on the shoulder than the centre. Even so, go from a worn 240 to a fresh 260 and the handling is clearly worse. Not dire, just worse. And the same applies to weight - mine and the bike's. Unsprung weight is the enemy, sprung weight is much less of an issue. A big heavy tyre and wheels are an issue.

So, returning to the general, you need to pull the two ideas together. Of course a V-Rod doesn't go round corners or go as fast as our sports bikes, nor is it as comfortable as a tourer, or my adventure bike. It is not as "good" a bike. But it looks better, sounds better, is more of an adventure to ride. The question is, how far do you want to go down that road? Because eventually you end up with some of the specials around here which are horrid heaps of shite to ride, but very pretty.

For me, the stock bike is an acceptable compromise, but it is limited by money. So spend a little money upgrading some bits (suspension, wheels, rotors) and you can head a little down the impractical road (lower saddle, 260 tyre) and still stay in the sweet spot. However no way would I lower it, because clearance is already a massive issue, nor go as far as a 300, because unsprung weight is the other. Hence my list of mods in the opening message - you end up with a bike that works as well as the stock bike, but looks better.

I'd not let Badlands at it, because they are doing what has been done to my Softail - compromising the bike so far that it becomes a toy. A toy is great if you also have bikes, but it is a different thing to what I was talking about originally.

And, when it comes to toys, I like to make my own. Giving Badlands a big cheque and getting back a bike that works less well than the bike you gave them is not my idea of fun. I'd rather do it myself. I get a real sense of achievement when a clever mod works, and I'd be reluctant to give that up. It's a hobby. There is no point in paying someone else to do it for me.

Messing about with bikes is very close to what I do for a living (computer networks). The big difference is no one is on my arse about the bike. Just ran into a brick wall today machining the Muscle wheel - the meat is not there to machine off. Oh dear. But it's a challenge, not a problem - nobody cares, no one is shouting at me, there is no real deadline, I can think about it while I walk the dogs and next week we'll try another way. All very relaxing... Meantime, all my bikes are fun to ride as they are.

And again, hence the OP. A list of do-able, interesting mods that can be done by the home mechanic over a couple of lazy Winters to produce a bike that works a bit better than stock, looks way better than stock and, if you did the wrenching yourself, can fill you with pride. Now what can be wrong with that?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #65
Vambo
Banned

Walk away WhosUrBuddiee, just walk away!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #66
BT
BiaTches

Must be winter in Portugal ?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #67
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Question

Quote:
What's that?

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #68
BT
BiaTches

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABSTER View Post
What's that?
Opposite of summer.

Bet u love the humidity ?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #69
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Quote:
Opposite of summer.

Bet u love the humidity ?
Yup!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #70
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Yup!

Huh-oh.......it's rubbing off! Osmosis?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #71
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
I think it's Philthy vacationing abroad.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:09 AM   #72
BT
BiaTches

Quote:
Yup!

You do like skulls don't you ?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #73
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Talking

Quote:
You do like skulls don't you ?
That's the wife's ride and yes, she likes skulls and also to kiCK the ass of anyone who has a problem with that

Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #74
Ernie82
boredom kills

Fabster please no pictures of scenic PR without some Chicas inadvertantly captured in the background.

03 with lots of chrome
07 GT500 Convertible
disposable late model commuter cars
CBR954RR - sold
I edit typos not content
Ernie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #75
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
Walk away WhosUrBuddiee, just walk away!
Touche Vambo
WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement