What would you do if you were starting from scratch? - Page 4 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #46
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FABSTER View Post

Lux's rant in 5,4,3,2,1....

Come on He bought an R, of course he would buy a CVO.
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #47
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
Come on He bought an R, of course he would buy a CVO.
Yeah but his avatar makes that "R" sin forgivable

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #48
FastVRJohnny
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maybe I should buy a used 2002 Tin Foil Edition (TFE) for 122.99?
FastVRJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #49
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastVRJohnny View Post
Maybe I should buy a used 2002 Tin Foil Edition (TFE) for 122.99?
Nah that would be like a blind man buying the Mona Lisa, can own it but never really appreciate it.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #50
FastVRJohnny
Banned

Quote:
Nah that would be like a blind man buying the Mona Lisa, can own it but never really appreciate it.
A blind guy can sit on a Stratolounger and its just as useless as a motorcycle as an A model is.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #51
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastVRJohnny View Post
A blind guy can sit on a Stratolounger and its just as useless as a motorcycle as an A model is.
and my Point Proven.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #52
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sharpen my pencil (first step when you start from scratch)

Actually the 2002 "TFE", was and is a piece of art from a company that had (has) little imagination to do anything more than change trim and paint schemes and rechristen any one of two basic models (Sportster or Big Twin) as something new.
It's superfluous as to whether it perfoms as a proper motorcycle or not as it stands alone.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #53
FastVRJohnny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4man View Post
Sharpen my pencil (first step when you start from scratch)

Actually the 2002 "TFE", was and is a piece of art from a company that had (has) little imagination to do anything more than change trim and paint schemes and rechristen any one of two basic models (Sportster or Big Twin) as something new.
It's superfluous as to whether it perfoms as a proper motorcycle or not as it stands alone.
Art is about form, not function. Ducati is just about the only company to master a motorcycle as both.

That said, I'd still buy a CVO, they're pretty.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #54
FastVRJohnny
Banned

Quote:
and my Point Proven.
Lux, you'll never have to worry about me soiling the A model.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #55
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee View Post
We must have completely different mindsets. Why would it be horrid to ride? Have you ever actually riden a vrod with a 300 conversion? I have a 260 on mine now on my DX and cant tell you there is almost no difference at all. I am curious why you think the heavy modding makes riding it worse.

To me the enjoyment is in the designing and riding. If you really think the fun is not in the riding, then why do you even have a bike at all? To me, the point of having a dream bike is taking it out and riding it... not hunched over turning a wrench and spending hours and hours in a garage opposed to an open road.
Three main problems with the V-Rod are flat midrange, an overweight rear wheel and no ground clearance. Take a stock bike, fit a good 2-1, tune it, and fit lighter tyres and it's fine. You can even get away with going to 260 (which I've done). What most people do is make the rear wheel heavier and reduce the clearance and suspension movement, which will make it horrid to ride, and a lot of them fit 2-2s, which will sap even more power (an overweight rear wheel will stuff you up with usprung weight to ruin the ride and handling, and rotational inertia to stuff the acceleration, less suspension movement will shake your fillings out, less clearance will mean riding round corners like your granny). Now this is OK if they are making an ornament - like my Softail, with 36" bars to make you a parachute, and a combo of a rock hard seat, terrible suspension and an upright riding position to wreck your spine - oh, and no clearance at all, but that's stock. I love the Softail, it's great for posing around on. If I want to ride though, for long distances at speed, I use something else. Often my V-Rod, which has been modified as much for practicality as aesthetics.

Making impractical bikes is fun, and turning the wrenches is part of it. Riding them can be less rewarding, unless "riding" means posing about on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #56
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Three main problems with the V-Rod are flat midrange, an overweight rear wheel and no ground clearance. Take a stock bike, fit a good 2-1, tune it, and fit lighter tyres and it's fine. You can even get away with going to 260 (which I've done). What most people do is make the rear wheel heavier and reduce the clearance and suspension movement, which will make it horrid to ride, and a lot of them fit 2-2s, which will sap even more power (an overweight rear wheel will stuff you up with usprung weight to ruin the ride and handling, and rotational inertia to stuff the acceleration, less suspension movement will shake your fillings out, less clearance will mean riding round corners like your granny).
My bike makes 150whp/90 ft-lbs tq. It has no problem with midrange or taking corners either, even with a 260 in the rear. Suspension isnt a problem at all with air ride.

Still my question was.. have you ever actually ridden a vrod with a 300? You seem to be talking pooly about something you may not really know anything about. I have been on a friends bike with a 300 and my own, there is almost no noticable difference what so ever in handling or acceleration. It hardly can be called a horrid ride.
WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #57
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Quote:
My bike makes 150whp/90 ft-lbs tq. It has no problem with midrange or taking corners either, even with a 260 in the rear. Suspension isnt a problem at all with air ride.

Still my question was.. have you ever actually ridden a vrod with a 300? You seem to be talking pooly about something you may not really know anything about. I have been on a friends bike with a 300 and my own, there is almost no noticable difference what so ever in handling or acceleration. It hardly can be called a horrid ride.
No. I've ridden a 180, 240, and 260, each an obvious retrograde step. Given V-Rods are wildly short on clearance, even mine with Arnotts, which is what I assume yours has too, I'd be interested in what you call "no problem" taking corners. Mine are taken in a shower of sparks. All good fun though! My V-Rod makes nowhere near 150bhp. I have a sports bike for that - 150bhp and 200lbs less. No way a V-Rod is ever going to be fast or go round corners well, but they are good enough. Until people ruin then with heavy wheels, lowered suspension and rubbish pipes. Then they stop being good enough and become a bit of a pain.

Sent from my e1808_v75_jbaol1_5647 using Motorcycle.com App

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
Old 11-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #58
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

I would call BS on you being able to notice a difference between a 240 and 260. I think several members here would argue with you as well about this comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
No way a V-Rod is ever going to be fast
I think my big bore dx is plenty fast. Not it isnt Busa fast, but can still out scoot most any car on the road.

But really until you have actually ridden a vrod with a 300, a decent set of wheels and some power, I dont believe you can accuratly comment on it being a "horrid" ride.
WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:29 AM   #59
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Quote:
I would call BS on you being able to notice a difference between a 240 and 260. I think several members here would argue with you as well about this comment.

I think my big bore dx is plenty fast. Not it isnt Busa fast, but can still out scoot most any car on the road.

But really until you have actually ridden a vrod with a 300, a decent set of wheels and some power, I dont believe you can accuratly comment on it being a "horrid" ride.
You are kidding me! I switch from 240 to 260 from time to time - I always use a 260 in the Summer for bike shows, but I sometime use a 240 in the Winter (didn't bother this year, the bike will be apart most of the Winter anyway, so I won't have worn it out before next year's rallies), and the difference is obvious.

Almost any bike will annihilate any car, that's largely why I ride. Interesting you pick a Busa though, that's a pretty slow bike in anything except a straight line. 150BHP is nothing these days, here's my cheap old 2006 sports bike - 150BHP, 421lbs. It is always going to leave any V-Rod standing. However, I generally ride my V-Rod, it's fun. It would not be much fun with less clearance and more unsprung weight though. It's marginal on those already.

What are you calling "decent wheels"? Lightest wheel I know for the V-Rod is the Muscle (excluding exotica like BST and 18" fronts from Buell), and I'm just off to see the bloke who is machining some for me...

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
Old 11-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #60
BT
BiaTches

BT is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement