dechroming a a model rod - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCA , VRSCAW
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
langwilliams
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dechroming a a model rod

I picked up a 02 v rod for a good price that needs a few things. He previous owner was a chrome fanatic. I'd like to slowly change some stuff to non chrome but don't know how it will look with the silver frame. I'd like to have gotten a b with the black frame but I couldn't pass this one up for $4100.

has any one done this an have pics?

This one came with chrome solid wheels an belt guard I may replace an sell. I may get a black plastic belt guard set an swap the shocks to ones with black springs.

just lookin for thoughts an ideas an maybe pics if you've done it.
langwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Looks fine. look in the gallery. You can have the frame powdercoated any color you want. Lots of folks would trade polished for chrome, and then you have them powdercoated. Don't PC chrome parts! You have all winter to play. Joe
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
CPTJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Ernie82
boredom kills

$4,100 is a fantastic price. What kind of mileage?

Are you handy? Can you take off old parts and replace them if needed? Can you strip the bike down to the frame yourself, have the frame powder-coated and reassemble?

Your riding season is over make the most out of it.

03 with lots of chrome
07 GT500 Convertible
disposable late model commuter cars
CBR954RR - sold
I edit typos not content
Ernie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
langwilliams
Registered Full

Ernie it got laid down but no major problem. 19,000 miles. v mod exhaust. I'm pretty decent at mechanics. I had to replace the clutch master cylinder lid an have the foot control mount rewelded to the lower frame section an it's rideable. Little stuff got scuffed up like foot pegs an left grip. bars were slightly off. I'm replacing damaged stuff with used stuff as I find it. for about $4700 I got it on the road. Then I changed the bars for the wider ones I got for $90 an got a 6" longer clutch line from J&p clearance for $26. I have a softail too that I got as an unfinished project that I finished the way I wanted. If I go big time into the v rod like wheels an stuff I'll have to sell it to fund it.
langwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement