12/13 VRSCDX Recall - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #16
needspartsnow
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mine fell off after hitting a decent sized bump, broke my tail lights all to hell and almost lost my plate. Turns out the bike looks a lot better (to me) w/out all the plastic crap hiding my tire...nothing a 6 inch LED bar and a sidemount bracket cant fix
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	286.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	190440  
needspartsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
SickRick
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My information says the "kit" is 2 new bolts and locktite all 4 in (didn't specify RED or BLUE though).

I'm going to suspect that , since these are pretty small bolts - you'd probably want to go with BLUE if you ever expect to maybe have this assembly apart sometime in the future.

If yours HASN'T FALLEN OFF YET - I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting in there - R&R-ing the bolts, and locktite-ing them back on.

I haven't had the opportunity to see one of the new fender'd bikes APART yet - so I can't comment from personal experience the "difficulty level" of a DIY on this. I've had my '10 apart more times than I care to remember (for various mods, etc.) - but, from the parts drawings I've seen:

it's a totally different animal from the previous "dogs-ass" version...

Bolts in question are going to be #2 - 4863M - SCREW - M6 X 1.0 X12 #4 Hex Flange Head. I can't say for sure yet - whether they changed the spec on the 2 replacements the recall kit provides - or just assume that these have fallen out already on most bikes (LOL).

The "dogs-ass" on previous models (holding the turns, side reflectors, and license plate mount), bolts onto the rear fender strut assembly with bolts and nuts THROUGH the metal strut - while these appear to screw INTO the fender (again, I haven't seen one apart yet).

Rick

edit: To illustrate the difference between the turn/license (dogs ass) between the above and the previous model:

#5 is a metal plate with two studs that go on the INSIDE/THROUGH the inner fender strut - and #2 are the nuts that secure the plastic assembly TO the inner fender strut. The plastic part has brass pieces "cast into" the assembly to reinforce and keep the holes from "rounding out", where the bolts/studs go through.

The newer models are similar to the Muscle/F - where the stop lamp assembly secures to the FENDER ITSELF

While the side license plate mount also secures to the rear fender strut.

While I doubt the plastic turn/license mount actually WEIGHS that much - it's still a dumb design to secure it with 4 small (M6) bolts, and not locktite them in at the factory.

Rolling: Penske 8983NR/TD AK-20 Dual-Lyndall Rotors/Red+-Brembo P4/34 Calipers-BST CF's-Ceramic Brngs-Conti RA's- Microline Hydraulics

Looks: Polished SS Bolts-Rizoma Rearset/Pegs-Trucklite/LEDMirrors-LED Tail-BlueLED Gages-PVD Black Fork Tubes-Woodcraft Clip-Ons-NMC Windshield(s)-Cluster Relo- Valentine-1 - Blinder 905c
SickRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #18
goldpoacher
VRODing Some Where

Go my rear fixed,dealer was great but Harley Davidson weren't as helpful they feel that informing me of issue (after the fact) and that I was 1000km (600 miles) from nearest dealer was my Problem as far as expenses go.
Strange Consumer Protection and my Solicitor have a different View of Australia Law concerning Safety Recalls,a friends Toyota just got recalled and dealer is covering the cost.
Bassani Road Rage II B1 with SuperTrapp Disc,Sundowner Seat,PowerVision with Wide Band tune,The LeatherWorks Side Bags,killerVRod Foreward Controls,Progressive Front Springs,Arnotts Air,Oberon Adjustable Hand Levers,Stealth Cables,GPS Tracking,Skull Indicators,Mini FloorBoards,Cruise Mate,Parking Sensors,HogPro Hidden Axle,Burleigh Roller Bars
goldpoacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
2012txnrs
2012 NRS Vivid Black

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Checked mine out last night and all is tight and secure. I'll keep an eye on it but "won't" disturb it since it is perfect now.
2012txnrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
SickRick
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012txnrs View Post
Checked mine out last night and all is tight and secure. I'll keep an eye on it but "won't" disturb it since it is perfect now.
I would check your "born on date" - as they obviously recognized the issue on bikes PRIOR TO the 8/1/12 cutoff date on the recall notice.

If your bike was "born" PREVIOUS to that date - I would STRONGLY SUGGEST letting the dealer do the "update" - or DOING IT YOURSELF.

Don't wait until it becomes an issue. It's called PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE for a reason.

After hearing some of the stories RIGHT HERE - if I had one of these bikes - I would have gone into the garage and FIXED THIS IMMEDIATELY - before I put another mile on the thing.

It's not even really about the safety factor - but more, if this thing cuts loose on you, it could damage the wiring sub-harness, and do a lot more than just "fall off". Despite the fact that it would be under warranty - do you really want to risk the hassle?

Rick

Rolling: Penske 8983NR/TD AK-20 Dual-Lyndall Rotors/Red+-Brembo P4/34 Calipers-BST CF's-Ceramic Brngs-Conti RA's- Microline Hydraulics

Looks: Polished SS Bolts-Rizoma Rearset/Pegs-Trucklite/LEDMirrors-LED Tail-BlueLED Gages-PVD Black Fork Tubes-Woodcraft Clip-Ons-NMC Windshield(s)-Cluster Relo- Valentine-1 - Blinder 905c
SickRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #21
2012txnrs
2012 NRS Vivid Black

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Had a scheduled "Bike Nite" at the dealership and asked about the recall. It is NOT a recal but a safety advisory which means you HAVE to bring in the bike for them to do the work.
I'm 55 miles from the dealership (oneway) and when I arrived I checked and the assembly is still tight and NOT coming loose. According to the dealer you have to have them do the upgrade no matter what and we cannot do it ourselves. They have ordered kits for the Night Rods they sold and when the kits arrive they are asigning the kit to a name and will contact that person to come in and get the upgrade done. So now we know............

Rick, I appreciate your response and value your opinion but this is NOT my first rodeo. As they say "I got this". Thanks again........
2012txnrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #23
colt75
Registered Full

are people in australia just ringing them up?
or are they ment to be contacting us?

i just tightened up my 2 screws that were half out
colt75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #24
goldpoacher
VRODing Some Where

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt75 View Post
are people in australia just ringing them up?
or are they ment to be contacting us?

i just tightened up my 2 screws that were half out
I would ring your Dealer and Arrange for Fix,mine fell of and hit rear wheel on first trip on Bike leaving me stranded 700km from home.
Bassani Road Rage II B1 with SuperTrapp Disc,Sundowner Seat,PowerVision with Wide Band tune,The LeatherWorks Side Bags,killerVRod Foreward Controls,Progressive Front Springs,Arnotts Air,Oberon Adjustable Hand Levers,Stealth Cables,GPS Tracking,Skull Indicators,Mini FloorBoards,Cruise Mate,Parking Sensors,HogPro Hidden Axle,Burleigh Roller Bars
goldpoacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #25
shayno
my own fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpoacher View Post
I would ring your Dealer and Arrange for Fix,mine fell of and hit rear wheel on first trip on Bike leaving me stranded 700km from home.
happened to mine with less than 1000kms on it
Old 11-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #26
tof91
Registered Full

To late for me

tof91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #27
Andrew G
Registered Full

Has anyone had the "recall kit" as my dealer called it installed. When I asked the service manager what it would be he told me he has no idea because I told him I wasn't gonna ride it over there just for them to put some locktite on the bolts lol But he said he couldn't even order the kit until November 1, when I talked to him it was back in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #28
Baldursscv
VRSCADX Ryder

Checked mine and 2 seemed a little loose. I tighten them all up. I will go talk to them before my 5k which is only 500 miles away. Thanks for the info.
Baldursscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #29
Biker Bromley
Registered Full

Mine was falling off lost 3 of the 4 screws I put new screws in with blue lock tight and they stayed on even when the bike went off a cliff at canyon lake lol. Dont no what dealers will do but all you really need to do is put some lock tight on them or even some sealer would probably work.
Biker Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #30
Baldursscv
VRSCADX Ryder

@ Bromley: did you say go off the cliff? Well I am glad you didn't go down with it.
Baldursscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement