Should be easy, but not changing 2010 VRSCA rear tailight - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCA , VRSCAW
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
spiritwarrior
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Should be easy, but not changing 2010 VRSCA rear tailight

Embarrassed to admit this but something that should be simple is defeating me.
Bought a new Kisan decaying tail light to help keep vehicles behind me alert.
The book says you stick a small screw driver in a hole right above the license plate holder push up forward this tab and then pop the tail light housing out. Well tried big screwdrivers, short ones etc. Finding a metal tab and can feel that I'm pushing this thing up and forward but the tail light housing is not budging. I can twist it a little and tell that the tab is there but can't get it to let go.

From looking under the fender looks like I could take the dogs ass off and maybe that would make it easy to change. Was not that desperate, my tail light works just want to get a little more attention. I change my own oil have installed quite a few parts myself but at the moment that tail light housing is not coming off.

Appreciate any ideas.
spiritwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
darkdx
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You would probably be better off removing the passenger pillion and then removing the rear fender to access the tail light it might take you 5 minutes to remove the both of them....The metal tab on the tail lightis pretty frail and sometimes tends to break if your not careful.
darkdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
spiritwarrior
Registered Full

I looked underneath and maybe I can remove the plastic shield that protects the light. Was getting late so stopped for tonight. Rain tomorrow so will have plenty of time to look at it. Thanks.

Just found a link and it looks like pulling the whole fender off is easier. Can't make the tabs at the top as you mentioned:

Old 11-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
ELUSIVE 1
Lifetime Premium

It takes more practice. Push the screw driver in with more pressure. No twisting.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Take the fender off the first time so you can see how it works. Five minute job. Don't mess about prising things, it is frustrating, and only too easy to break something.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
darkdx
Registered Full

I believe that video is mob boss RSC (member here,killer service inc.) Check out all of his videos...they are a big help with doing service on your bike....Rods a really great guy too!
darkdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
spiritwarrior
Registered Full

Thanks.

Thanks to all. Tomorrow when I have the hardware to mount my baseplate, luggage rack, Hepco & Becker storage box, I will put the new light in while I have it all apart. Once again I have discovered the Harley Owners Manual and even the Maintenance Manual don't have the easiest way to accomplish something documented..
Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
spiritwarrior
Registered Full

Took the fender off. Takes ten extra minutes. Louis is right your can see the metal tab but most importantly the tiny thin plastic tabs at the top that would break in a heartbeat if you pulled on the top without having the metal tab pressed tightly in. Installed the base plate and luggage rack. Ran out of time will put the storage box on sometime this week and then post a picture. Just for reference my base plate is used did not want to pay what Harley is asking for new ones. I could see some corrision in the luggage rack mounting holes. Used some anti-sieze when I put the bolts in. Bad design should be some plastic caps or something to moisture from getting in the threads. Maybe a dab of clear RTV on top of each screw as protection. Wrong Kisan bulb. I need a bayonet mount and the one I bought is a wedge. Thanks for the good advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement