Holy Loud TABs Batman! - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #16
Highstepper
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKing View Post
This was the baffle into the 3d volume I was talking about - I got the pic somewhere on this forum a few years ago. I've got some V&H baffles identical to what is shown and I'm going to try it.

Looks like a great solution.
After going for another ride I have a few questions for you:

1) If I install baffles into the 3rd volume will I need to re-tune to bike?
2) Are there any stock baffles in there already?
3) Is there a place to mount the baffles? Or do I have to drill a hole myself to secure them into the 3rd volume?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

HS

** Too Many Damn Mods To Fit In Signature **

- 09 VRSCAW Black / Silver *Sold*
Highstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #17
RodKing
The Crusades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highstepper View Post
After going for another ride I have a few questions for you:

1) If I install baffles into the 3rd volume will I need to re-tune to bike?
2) Are there any stock baffles in there already?
3) Is there a place to mount the baffles? Or do I have to drill a hole myself to secure them into the 3rd volume?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

HS
1. I have not done this mod YET! I am going to just have not had time

2. No the barrel is empty

3. You will have to drill a hole for each baffle.

As far as a re-tune - Here is my take:

I installed TAB baffled slip-ons on my 09 V. I DID NOT! USE A K&N AIRCLEANER.! ( EMPHASIS ADDED)

I had done a lot of research on tuner's. And decided not to use the
Tuner as the ECM on the newer bikes adjust's itself automatically
to small air/fuel changes. I figured if I did not change the air inlet flow things would be OK - and they are.

I have now ridden the V without the Tuner for almost 1000 miles - No Problem at all gas mileage increased by 6mpg and the bike is running cooler and richer. No stutters, hiccups, or backfires, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Runs as well as it did prior to the Slip-ons.

I know that goes against the rules for VRods that all the experts here go by, but I tried it and it worked - has worked very well for mine at least
RodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
Highstepper
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKing View Post
1. I have not done this mod YET! I am going to just have not had time

2. No the barrel is empty

3. You will have to drill a hole for each baffle.

As far as a re-tune - Here is my take:

I installed TAB baffled slip-ons on my 09 V. I DID NOT! USE A K&N AIRCLEANER.! ( EMPHASIS ADDED)

I had done a lot of research on tuner's. And decided not to use the
Tuner as the ECM on the newer bikes adjust's itself automatically
to small air/fuel changes. I figured if I did not change the air inlet flow things would be OK - and they are.

I have now ridden the V without the Tuner for almost 1000 miles - No Problem at all gas mileage increased by 6mpg and the bike is running cooler and richer. No stutters, hiccups, or backfires, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Runs as well as it did prior to the Slip-ons.

I know that goes against the rules for VRods that all the experts here go by, but I tried it and it worked - has worked very well for mine at least
I keep going back and forth on this issue.... as it stands now, the Tabs are on, and the bike is Dyno tuned. There is also a SE High flow air filter installed and some parts of the airbox cover have been modified (snorkle has been cut off). The bike pulls very stong through the powerband. There is decel popping however, it's not rediculous, but it is kind of annoying.

Initally, I was taken back by the loudness of the pipes, but again, I have been riding around with the stockers for the better part of 2k miles. I've put a hundred or two miles on her since and for the most part have gotten used to the sound of them. I was hoping to possible lower the loudness a few decibels, but like i said I am getting used to it now. I also had hoped to get rid of some of the popping. So I ordered the 4" baffle found on ebay, it's on it's way. I also have been trying to do research on they old school "lollipop" trick with a washer welded to a stud. The goal is to increase back pressure and hopefully alleviate the popping a bit... but I don't want to drop the cash required for another dyno tune so soon. I'm also hesitant to drill into the stock exaust headers.

For now and for my wallet's sake I will probably live with it as is, the popping is not bad, the sound is badass but louder than I would have liked. When the bike pops it does not spudder or loose power, it only really happens at 0% throttle while engine breaking... from what I've been reading it's pretty normal and a sign of a slight lean condition. It's not backfiring, just some pops here and there. I am very interested in your progress on this mod however, and would appreciate if you'd check in with your results after the mod!

Thanks Again.

HS

Old 08-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #19
Duke_On
Registered Full

I have the slash cuts with SE filter and topless. I love the sound. Not too loud, not too quiet. Sounds best over 4k rpm.
Duke_On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #20
Highstepper
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_On View Post
I have the slash cuts with SE filter and topless. I love the sound. Not too loud, not too quiet. Sounds best over 4k rpm.
I'd have to agree, it doesn't sound too bad at 3k-4k range either! For some reason though the sound it makes at 4k make it sound like it's working harder than it really is... i find over 4k into the 5's sounds smoother..

HS

Old 08-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
RodKing
The Crusades

Quote:
I'd have to agree, it doesn't sound too bad at 3k-4k range either! For some reason though the sound it makes at 4k make it sound like it's working harder than it really is... i find over 4k into the 5's sounds smoother..

HS
I really like the IDLE - WOW!!!!

It does not sound like a HD at idle - it sounds similar to the ProStock
motorcycles. It is really loud at least for me - cruising at 70-80mph
that's where I'm having difficulty - even with good ear plugs. To me that's when the V's need a 6th gear - the motor does not sound like it is straining - it's just that constant loudness

Love that big "cam lope" that's what keeps them on for me -

We are going for another long ride this Saturday - that will tell the tale for me - regardless, I'm going to put those baffles in the 3d volume - and if ! Well let's just take it one step at a time...!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #22
Rift
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a set of turnout tips, while not tabs they are similar. The sound is loud but my buddy's 09 DX is louder with a baffle in his v&h 2:1.

I have been having trouble tuning out all the pooping of mine as well. I didn't get the TAB turnouts and instead just got some nice turnout tips without baffles. But I would assume the tuning would be pretty similar, if someone has some good luck with this I'd love to see a pcv map to compare to my PV maps.

Rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #23
Highstepper
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I have a set of turnout tips, while not tabs they are similar. The sound is loud but my buddy's 09 DX is louder with a baffle in his v&h 2:1.

I have been having trouble tuning out all the pooping of mine as well. I didn't get the TAB turnouts and instead just got some nice turnout tips without baffles. But I would assume the tuning would be pretty similar, if someone has some good luck with this I'd love to see a pcv map to compare to my PV maps.
If I remember correctly when I had the PCV and Autotuner on my 09AW the way I corrected the popping was to ADD fuel on the 0% thottle positions on the table. I'm not 100% sure however, because another forum member helped me tune it out. But I do remember adding fuel at the bottom of the table is what we did.

The problem I have now is that I am not using a a PCV instead I have Harley's Super Tuner. I don't have the software or the cable, so I'm stuck with dyno tunes. I had hoped that a good dyno tune was all I would need... kind of a "set it and forget it" situation... So far I must say I am very pleased at the performance of my tune, but I know some of the more annoying stuff like popping can't be helped much without spending more money. Hence the reason I'm looking into some other options.

But I must say after my morning ride today... I am growing to love the sound of these pipes! They simply sound badass! So I'm getting used to the volume well enough... we shall see whats up when Rodking installs his baffles... i got them in the mail today!

HS

Old 08-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #24
Highstepper
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post

Actually, now that I think of it.... I might have my old map from my 09AW still archived on my computer! I can send them to you if you want to check them out.... if I remember correctly I have 2 maps.... 1 with topless, airfilter, and Tab Pipes... the other is the same except BUB7 2 into 1 pipes. The one for the Bub7 is the one that we messed with the fuel at 0% thottle (if I'm remembering correctly).

So I can send them to you when I get home if you like... let me know!

HS

Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #25
Krishnadas
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Yeah, it's growing on me! Now I just need it to stop raining so I can really stretch her legs! Had to take it easy on the way home from Harley with the rain and all....
HS
I had the same issue. Called TabPerformance and they suggested to get Big City Thunder Monster QQ (Quality Quiet) Baffles. The first picture is of the baffle itself and the second is where it must be installed. This will quiet the baffled Tab Slash Cut pipes some more. I'm waiting for them now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thunder baffle.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	191148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thunder QQ Baffles.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	191149  
Krishnadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #26
RodKing
The Crusades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnadas View Post
I had the same issue. Called TabPerformance and they suggested to get Big City Thunder Monster QQ (Quality Quiet) Baffles. The first picture is of the baffle itself and the second is where it must be installed. This will quiet the baffled Tab Slash Cut pipes some more. I'm waiting for them now...
Thanks, that is exactly what I was after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement