What would you do if you were starting from scratch? - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #31
Vambo
Banned
 
Vambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,891
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
They've posted some shots on FB. I can't see if they are before or after, and worryingly I bet joe public feels the same about our v-rods.

Sent from my e1808_v75_jbaol1_5647 using Motorcycle.com App
And we should care about Joe public? But then, ain't this forum Joe public?
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #32
Outlander
Registered Full
 
Outlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,600
Images: 24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
that would be one ugly sombitch,
A second generation VRSCR could have been a sweet ride if HD would have forgone the being the leader in heavy motorcycles nonsense.

I haven't seen any interesting developments in the VRSC line since '07 and those only addressed known shortcomings.

Probably didn't intend it like this but you are right that every shot HD takes at making something sporty turns out looking like the motorcycle equivalent of an Olds Cutlass Ciera International.

Don't want to thread jack but most interesting mods have already been done. They really need to breath some life into this 11 year old platform.

That dude's hair would have hit a little too close to home back in the early 70's.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #33
Ernie82
boredom kills
 
Ernie82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,289
Images: 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would love nothing more than next generation VROD - a couple of lines, lightweight functional cruiser and touring bike. It is not going to happen. Pick a model then look at pictures of the HD bikes from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and this decade. All you see is slow sutle changes.
__________________

03 with lots of chrome
07 GT500 Convertible
disposable late model commuter cars
CBR954RR - sold
I edit typos not content
Ernie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #34
Louis
Posting From The Pub
 
Louis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,838
Images: 3
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie82 View Post
I would love nothing more than next generation VROD - a couple of lines, lightweight functional cruiser and touring bike. It is not going to happen. Pick a model then look at pictures of the HD bikes from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and this decade. All you see is slow sutle changes.
I'm not really interested in any form of stock Harley, too many cut corners and cheap components, ruined by the EPA, and even in Europe boringly common.
__________________
Louis

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.



2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #35
Outlander
Registered Full
 
Outlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,600
Images: 24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock doesn't need to mean starter kit. I'm doing progressive springs and shocks on my Street Glide this winter because the 'street' is exactly where it is the least enjoyable to ride it. The nose dive in stop and go traffic just wears me down so I stick to rural riding for now. In my experience every Harley I've ridden but the R and 1200x does this.

I was thinking about having the dealership perform this mod while its in winter storage and their recommendation? If I'm doing the springs now is the time to install the $550 chrome front end kit because there won't be any additional labor. Seriously? I'm telling you my stock suspension sucks and im spending $1200 in parts alone to fix it and you're trying to up sell me chrome?

Huh. Guess I was kind of keeping that one down. I've owned enough harleys that i should know the deal by now. Back to the vrod mods.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #36
Vambo
Banned
 
Vambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,891
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
A second generation VRSCR could have been a sweet ride if HD would have forgone the being the leader in heavy motorcycles nonsense.
I haven't seen any interesting developments in the VRSC line since '07 and those only addressed known shortcomings.
Probably didn't intend it like this but you are right that every shot HD takes at making something sporty turns out looking like the motorcycle equivalent of an Olds Cutlass Ciera International.
Don't want to thread jack but most interesting mods have already been done. They really need to breath some life into this 11 year old platform..
The clientele won't let it happen, period. We're lucky the V-Rod still exists in any form. Lucky it made it out of the prototype stage. We were lucky to have Buell for as long as we did. Harley is as you say the heavyweight king, but their faithful are lightweight in imagination. Again, HD makes what sells, makes on demand. It's worked well enough for 11 decades. What hasn't worked or sold, are the non traditional attempts. The R, Buell, XLCR, original Night Train, and in many ways the V-Rod itself.

For under $100 a set of Progressive front springs cures many ills.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #37
Outlander
Registered Full
 
Outlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,600
Images: 24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
The clientele won't let it happen, period. We're lucky the V-Rod still exists in any form. Lucky it made it out of the prototype stage. We were lucky to have Buell for as long as we did. Harley is as you say the heavyweight king, but their faithful are lightweight in imagination. Again, HD makes what sells, makes on demand. It's worked well enough for 11 decades. What hasn't worked or sold, are the non traditional attempts. The R, Buell, XLCR, original Night Train, and in many ways the V-Rod itself.

For under $100 a set of Progressive front springs cures many ills.
I'm going with their new monotube fork kit for baggers/softails and 944's in the rear.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #38
Vambo
Banned
 
Vambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,891
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
I'm going with their new monotube fork kit for baggers/softails and 944's in the rear.
On a V or a bagger?

The kit is nice, it's a great upgrade for relatively cheap.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:46 AM   #39
FABSTER
King of High C's!
 
FABSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,671
Images: 65
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
I'm going with their new monotube fork kit for baggers/softails and 944's in the rear.
Pics of the kit? Links?
__________________

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #40
Louis
Posting From The Pub
 
Louis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,838
Images: 3
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FABSTER View Post
Pics of the kit? Links?
Google harley progressive monotube.

Hmm. Does it fit the V-Rod? Any good? Real suspension costs more than 399 surely?

Sent from my e1808_v75_jbaol1_5647 using Motorcycle.com App
__________________
Louis

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.



2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #41
Vambo
Banned
 
Vambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,891
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Google harley progressive monotube.

Hmm. Does it fit the V-Rod? Any good? Real suspension costs more than 399 surely?

Sent from my e1808_v75_jbaol1_5647 using Motorcycle.com App
Not really. The front end kits work very well. Rear shocks are great "all around" suspension.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #42
Outlander
Registered Full
 
Outlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,600
Images: 24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
These parts aren't for the VRSC line.

Front:

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ube/index.html

944 rears:

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ies/index.html
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #43
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 865
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Yes I know their work well. Vambo can have a fit now because they are doing a Diavel. The 300 based one is nice, but would be horrid to ride and ruinously expensive with it. The other two are fine, but nothing people on here don't do regularly...

All this heavy modding makes the bikes worse, not better, so the fun is in the designing and wrenching, not the riding. If you just want to enjoy the riding, get a stock bike, change the pipe, fit a tuner and Arnotts, job done.
We must have completely different mindsets. Why would it be horrid to ride? Have you ever actually riden a vrod with a 300 conversion? I have a 260 on mine now on my DX and cant tell you there is almost no difference at all. I am curious why you think the heavy modding makes riding it worse.

To me the enjoyment is in the designing and riding. If you really think the fun is not in the riding, then why do you even have a bike at all? To me, the point of having a dream bike is taking it out and riding it... not hunched over turning a wrench and spending hours and hours in a garage opposed to an open road.
WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #44
FastVRJohnny
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Waukesha and Land O Lakes, WI USA
Posts: 2,209
Images: 13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If I were to do it again, I'd just buy a CVO and be done with it.
FastVRJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #45
FABSTER
King of High C's!
 
FABSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,671
Images: 65
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastVRJohnny View Post
If I were to do it again, I'd just buy a CVO and be done with it.



Lux's rant in 5,4,3,2,1....


__________________

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum