Holy shift light Batman! - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Hi-Performance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #31
Stovetop535
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks for the pic. I put a call into the dealer but "guy I needed to talk to" was already gone for the day. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to get ahold of them.

I ended up just running it off the rear coil. I used the yellow/blue wire and the light works perfectly. I even re did the connection to the ecm before I tried the coil wire. The rear coil is very easy to get to and for my application, gives a much better reading.

So the light is up and running and I am happy. Thanks for troubleshooting and bouncing ideas around with me.

I did get ahold of Raptor today. He said he did not know what they would be using that pin for, but he said he would look into it. I told him no big deal, as by then I had wired it into the coil and I will most likely leave it there.
Stovetop535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #32
vrunner79
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovetop535 View Post
Thanks for the pic. I put a call into the dealer but "guy I needed to talk to" was already gone for the day. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to get ahold of them.

I ended up just running it off the rear coil. I used the yellow/blue wire and the light works perfectly. I even re did the connection to the ecm before I tried the coil wire. The rear coil is very easy to get to and for my application, gives a much better reading.

So the light is up and running and I am happy. Thanks for troubleshooting and bouncing ideas around with me.

I did get ahold of Raptor today. He said he did not know what they would be using that pin for, but he said he would look into it. I told him no big deal, as by then I had wired it into the coil and I will most likely leave it there.
Glad you got it working Let us know what you find out about the #3. Post a photo of your light
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #33
Stovetop535
Registered Full

I will get some pics up of it tomorrow. I can tell you this much I absolutely love it though. So much better than trying to see the factory one. You sure won't miss the automated one when it lights up. It is very bright.

If anyone is looking to order one, check eBay. I picked mine up for about $125 shipped.

Sent from my iPod touch using MO Free
Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #34
Stovetop535
Registered Full

Some pics of the light.

And one last pic of it, since I cleaned it today.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #35
vrunner79
Registered Full

Very nice I have the same light BUT I had a Aluminum bracket made since the Autometer one had a big crack going through it, plus a new bracket moved it lower to the cluster. Ill get a photo of it up
Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #36
Stovetop535
Registered Full

Yeah it would be nice to have it mounted a little closer to the cluster. my only complaint with the setup would be the mount. It seems pretty cheap. I do think it looks better painted black, bit that doesn't take away from the fact that it's still a plastic mount.

Sent from my iPod touch using MO Free
Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #37
vrunner79
Registered Full

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1349459996583.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	189658
Heres the solution to the plastic mount. And its set lower
If I get a few requests for them I could get them made at a lower price

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 10-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #38
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Questions:

1) If I wire the shift light to the same wires that go to the tach, it's supposed to work right?
2) did any of you guys had to program the light to make it work?

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #39
vrunner79
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABSTER View Post
Questions:

1) If I wire the shift light to the same wires that go to the tach, it's supposed to work right?
2) did any of you guys had to program the light to make it work?
Good question actually. I would think if you tapped into the wire going right to the tach I would think so, otherwise the #3 PIN on the ECM..OR.. The Negative wire on the coil of your choice.

2 - I believe the Autometer light I had to set to 1.5 pulse setting, i'll have to look in the instructions again but each light usually has a base setting for what your needs are
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #40
DanSola

Good stuff! Thanks vrunner for the picture and guide on how you install your shift light from autometer.
DanSola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #41
vrunner79
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSola View Post
Good stuff! Thanks vrunner for the picture and guide on how you install your shift light from autometer.
Thank you If I can do it I think anyone can do it if you have basic automotive knowlage. I was intimidated when I tried it, lets face it your going into the ECM which basically controls everything and your worried your gonna make a BIG mistake. Every shift light I ever seen is the same, 3 wires Red,Black,Green . so the only wire you need to "wory" about is the green wire. Switch hot Red and Ground Black. As always, read the instructions and either dissconect your battery or pull the main fuse when doing any kind of electrical work, in the Service manual it has you cutting off power for any work you do. Anyone else adding a shift light, post up photos of your work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement