Thinking about trading Road King for Vrod? - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #31
Outlander
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_b_kool View Post
I have to agree the 11s or newer have the 103. It runs better than the 96. Stage 1 with a nice of SE 255 or 265s really wake those 103s up. With the 265s you will get around 100hp/100tq. So it has the potential to make good power. Some head work and some stronger valve springs and you can make some good power out of a 103s. With the right work you can get close to 120hp/120tq out of the 103s. But I wouldn't ride it in a parade but they make parade fans for the air cooled bikes to keep them from melting down. I have rode mine in 4 parades and I never had any problems. The water-cooling is nice but I think you would be happier with the AW model as it is a relaxed riding position. It would be real easy to turn it into a road rod or v-king than a dx or f model as they are more aggressive seating position than the AW model. I think it would be better suited to what you want to do.
I've had two A's and I'm happy with my FLHX. I'm not one for parades.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #32
slim_b_kool
Registered Full

Parades are a no no for an air-cooled bike. I ride in them but I live in a small town and our parades aren't very long. I honestly think you can't go wrong with either bike but if you decide on a road king I think that HD has put a radio on them now so you can have tunes with your ride. The 103 is a good motor with OK power for an air-cooled one. I rode my uncle's ultra classic with a 80inch evo and I didn't think the thing had enough power to pull itself out of the driveway but it did. It was the weakest bike I was ever on. My vrod stays with it and I never get above 4,000 rpms unless we get on the interstate but I just stay close and let him lead so I don't runoff and leave him.
slim_b_kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #33
LL Cool K
Insane inda membrane

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_b_kool View Post
Parades are a no no for an air-cooled bike. I ride in them but I live in a small town and our parades aren't very long.
You've got to be kidding.

I don't know how you can say an air-cooled is a no-no. That's utterly ridiculous. HD's perform daily service in police duty in stop-n-go traffic day in and day out around the country. Part of Harley's durability testing is based around parade duty, because they do it all the time.

The only problem I ever had with my bikes was the voltage regulator overheating because we were idling around and doing low speed stuff all day long with all the lights running. The bikes never overheated in my 12 years of riding them.

In loving memory of Betty Boost! 1929-1996
Winner of the 2012 Midwest Thunder7 Johnny Hotfoot Award... Best Rat Bike!

LL Cool K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #34
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Big Twins have been used for parade duty for decades.

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..."
H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #35
Lady F
Nicole

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL Cool K View Post
You've got to be kidding.

I don't know how you can say an air-cooled is a no-no. That's utterly ridiculous. HD's perform daily service in police duty in stop-n-go traffic day in and day out around the country. Part of Harley's durability testing is based around parade duty, because they do it all the time.

The only problem I ever had with my bikes was the voltage regulator overheating because we were idling around and doing low speed stuff all day long with all the lights running. The bikes never overheated in my 12 years of riding them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-D Heathen View Post

Big Twins have been used for parade duty for decades.
As the only one riding liquid cooled in my group, parades have been harder on those with air cooled. If we are not the lead in parades a lot of Air Cooled H-D friends will not go. We were stuck in a very "s l o w" moving parade and the Hogs were popen, and older ones smoken. The new 103 has some sort of shut off to protect it but even they were worried. I ride with two full flags on the bike I have now and plan to keep her just for parades as she is all set up for it and has custom paint to show support for our troops. Got her when my son was serving in Iraq. Flags’ on tank with field cross that reads "Freedom isn't Free" and POW/MIA side covers. I love Liberty for parades.

Lady F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #36
Lady F
Nicole

Wink

Old 11-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #37
XKnight

Update! I ended up trading my Road King for a new 2013 Wide Glide. The 103 engine combined with about 150 less pounds than my RK gives me plenty of get up and go and still pretty comfortable for longer rides. I might still get a V-Rod some day, but it just wasn't in the cards this time around. Thanks again for all the advice.

Here's the new WG if anyone wants to see her.

XKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #38
Lady F
Nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
Update! I ended up trading my Road King for a new 2013 Wide Glide. The 103 engine combined with about 150 less pounds than my RK gives me plenty of get up and go and still pretty comfortable for longer rides. I might still get a V-Rod some day, but it just wasn't in the cards this time around. Thanks again for all the advice.

Here's the new WG if anyone wants to see her.

Congratz on the new bike ... I hpe you get many happy mls on her
Old 11-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #39
boscoe
Registered Full

enjoy
boscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #40
ELUSIVE 1
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Awesome choice!!! see you around airhead
Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #41
RodKing
The Crusades

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrapley View Post
Nice re-union story. I like it. Welcome back.
Good to be back - Thank You.
RodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #42
Outlander
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeV View Post
Congratz on the new bike ... I hpe you get many happy mls on her
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #43
Ernie82