Cooler weather=lower mpg??? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Mxdad430

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cooler weather=lower mpg???

So this summer I was getting nearly 40mpg. Now the cooler weather hits and I can barely get 25-30. Granted I've gotten more comfortable on this VRSCDX of mine but dropping 10-15mpg? It's an 07' with 5200 miles on it. Any O2 sensors on this thing? Any thoughts would be a great help...
Mxdad430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
HoneyB
Pat (Patrick!)

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
FWIW: My '04 runs stronger in cool weather, so I tend to twist the throttle more, leading to worse mileage!
In the Northeast we also have Oxygenated Gas, in the colder months, which leads to poor mileage.
Tiger Racing belt guards, Pondo's pivot bolt covers & 'V' valve stem caps, Tyson's black riser and foot levers, Metzler ME 880's, black 5 spoke '08D wheels and rear pulley, Mini LED rear signals, Progressive suspension, Jeannie Guardian Bell!(so far!)

1978 Honda XL350 (w/4300 miles on it!)

Jedi:"It's free to be a member, but it'll cost your ass in the end..."
HoneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
lastinline
on the hwy to hell

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Mine likes the hot weather better than the cold but then so do I as far as mileage I just gas up when it needs it

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Slower warm up times with related longer enrichment period, harder running as breakin progresses could be possible causes.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Mxdad430

Well I'll just keep putting the gas in it. I bet the govt loves that winter blend.... Lower mileage and higher gas use... I'll see what happens come springtime. It's to fun not to ride all winter...
Mxdad430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
gator582
Retired, Not SLOW!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxdad430 View Post
... Any O2 sensors on this thing? ...
No O2 sensors on stock '07 models.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxdad430 View Post
Well I'll just keep putting the gas in it. I bet the govt loves that winter blend.... Lower mileage and higher gas use... I'll see what happens come springtime. It's to fun not to ride all winter...
Cold air influences a lot of things. Oil is thicker robbing some power, iat richens the mixture and short trips keeps the engine in rich mode longer. That along with winter grade fuel with ethenol all add up to less milage. My cars milage takes a big dump during winter also.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
ELUSIVE 1
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyB View Post
FWIW: My '04 runs stronger in cool weather, so I tend to twist the throttle more, leading to worse mileage!
In the Northeast we also have Oxygenated Gas, in the colder months, which leads to poor mileage.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Philthy
Registered Full

Richness of mixture is affected by coolant temperature. The colder the coolant the richer the mixture. Winter blend fuels are more volatile than summer blends and have more ethanol, reducing fuel mileage some more. I see a 5-8 mpg drop in mlieage during the winter months on the V-Rods and the fuel injected BMWs, but not on the carbureted R-80G/S.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
BowtieNut
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah, I'm betting it's the winter blend gas. Around here they have 10% ethanol year-round, and I can usually average 39-40 mpg (I'm usually a pretty mellow rider). This year when I went to Sturgis my mileage jumped to 45-47 mpg. I'm sure part of it is riding with those slow air-heads too though. Got back home and it went right back to 40 mpg. Weather very similar both places, so I think it's gas more than the weather, for me at least.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
Philthy
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieNut View Post
Yeah, I'm betting it's the winter blend gas. Around here they have 10% ethanol year-round, and I can usually average 39-40 mpg (I'm usually a pretty mellow rider). This year when I went to Sturgis my mileage jumped to 45-47 mpg. I'm sure part of it is riding with those slow air-heads too though. Got back home and it went right back to 40 mpg. Weather very similar both places, so I think it's gas more than the weather, for me at least.
I'm not sure the degree to which coolant temperature affects the lenght of time the fuel injector is open, or "pulse width", but on my fuel injected BMWs with liquid cooling, the coolant temperature can lengthen or shorten the pulse width by up to 40% depending on temperature. It has a major effect on fuel mileage beyond the effect of winter gas.

The fuel mileage of my Street Rod tracks that of the K-100RS quite closely winter to summer, while the fuel mileage of the R-80G/S, which is carbureted, does not change appreciably. I have to attribute the decrease in mileage to colder temps and colder coolant temperatures more than the change in fuel blend.
Advertisement