It is with a sad heart.... - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #31
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
[quote=H-D Heathen;2358260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Moran View Post

Pffft ! The Yamaha Venture Royale had that in 1983. ^ Sarcasm noted.
If Yamaha had given the Venture's components a better fit and finish, it would have put every other touring bike to shame. I was surprise how fast and good handling a basic Venture was back in the mid 1980's. They sounded delicious. Much better than potato-potato. Even today a well maintained Venture puts any current Harley Davidson touring bike to shame with the sole exception of paint and chrome. Comfort, performance, handling, brakes and yes, even sound, the Venture makes a Harley feel very old fashioned and crude.
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #32
Philthy
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Congrats!
Funny response from many..... When I posted that I bought a BMW K1600, I got a lot of trash talk from the haters... I guess the aprillia is more loved?
No. The Beemer you bought plays in a market HD competes in, big expensive touring bikes. That it is so much better in every way than a HD bagger just makes the bandanaheads all the more insecure. By buying one you poked a finger in their eye and made them feel rejected. And you advertised the fact on the internet. Oh, the horror!

An Aprilia, by comparison, is a hard edged sport bike. HD doesn't play in that sand box, so you just jumped off the deep end but no insult to the bagger crowd. You're just a squid now, lol. Now they look down on you rather than feeling threatened. Same thing when some other members bought BMW S1000RRs. The few that understand admire them, the rest dismiss your choice and return to their beers and tattoos.

I cross shopped the Aprilia Falco along with a couple of Beemers when I bought the R. For me, no regrets, and that is coming from someone who had owned nothing but Beemers for 2 1/2 decades before buying the R. And, I'll never sell that R, ever, for any reason. It will be passed along in my will.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #33
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Philthy,you and I have had this conversation & we both agree, but Yamaha dropped the ball when they restyled the XVZ to look like a H-D bagger.

I've two neighbors with Ventures,one has the newer style,to be fair he had 2 of the older ones first & the other neighbor has the old one plus a VRSCD in his garage.

XVZ Yamaha Venture one of the best motors I've ridden.
1983--1986, 3yrs/50,000 miles living here in Ohio. Was sorry to see it go.

"Not everybody likes us...but we drive some folks wild ! "- Hank III

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..."
H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #34
Philthy
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-D Heathen View Post
Philthy,you and I have had this conversation & we both agree, but Yamaha dropped the ball when they restyled the XVZ to look like a H-D bagger.

I've two neighbors with Ventures,one has the newer style,to be fair he had 2 of the older ones first & the other neighbor has the old one plus a VRSCD in his garage.

XVZ Yamaha Venture one of the best motors I've ridden.
1983--1986, 3yrs/50,000 miles living here in Ohio. Was sorry to see it go.
I look at that grey Nova with the fairing that ended up on the FXRT in the Harley Museum, remember how the Venture felt and sounded riding it, and shake my head at what could have been. HD fit and finish on that power train. I would still buy one if HD would build it. I know, I know, wish in one hand and deficate in the other and see which one is filled the fastest ..............

Now you can begin to understand my post on the R thread about the Hannigan fairing. Well, maybe some can.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #35
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Looks more fun to me
http://youtu.be/SCkK6aHwNqA

Advertisement