Rear brake light switch - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #16
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogger View Post
I just replaced my switch for the second time. 1st time the dealer replaced it with OEM part. Lasted about a year before acting up again - no light and leaking. This time I replaced it myself with a switch from Auto Zone. Duralast part # RB401, $8.99 with a lifetime warranty.
It's a little larger, but fits no problem. SCREW the dealer OEM CHEAP parts!
ALL of these type switches are garbage,always have been,always will be,but what the hell,NASA uses them.Cost is around 3 cents when they roll outa the machine in China.I'll bet I've changed thousands of oil senders on Chevy engines in my life.Thousands more inside transmissions that use a sender,(aka transducer) to convert a hydraulic signal to an electric for the TCM to read.Mopar Torque Flite transmissions have the highest failure of any switch I have ever seen! They list for $120 each,+ diagnostic labor,+ the labor,fluid to change it and my lunch.Carries a 90 day warranty!
Best way to keep a brake light sender working for a long time on a V-Rod is to make a new line and relocate the sender away from the heat.
ElrodontheV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #17
T-Squared
"That just happened"

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What about a piece of heat shielding material cut to fit the switch and wiring? A couple of stainless tie wraps, or some safety wire to hold it down? This is one of my "projects" for over the winter....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-350118/?rtype=10
T-Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #18
bcrichard
bcrichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Squared View Post
What about a piece of heat shielding material cut to fit the switch and wiring? A couple of stainless tie wraps, or some safety wire to hold it down? This is one of my "projects" for over the winter....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-350118/?rtype=10
this is what I am now trying, changed the switch this summer and I just slipped a piece of the heat shield wrap over the switch and the wires (its a hollow tube and doesn't need any tie wraps to keep it in place, mine hasn't moved at all)
bcrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
b14fair

Brake Light Switch

I own a 2009 VRSCAW Nov 2011 the brake light switch went bad. Replaced it with the 72023-51D from Harley. Now its Nov 2012 and I am replacing it with a 72023-51E from Harley. Let's see how long this lasts. I'm in Hawaii and I needed it fast but I will definitely look aftermarket for the next. I have gotten better at taken off the exhaust though.
b14fair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #20
CBTBruce

Rear Brake Switch

Thanks for the info gang. I picked up a 2006 Night Rod 3 seasons ago and now with over 10K miles the rear brake sensor is shot. Will replace with RB401 and use the heat shield material.
CBTBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #21
pScyko
Jarhead

I used the accel one off of eBay last month. The exhaust had to be removed in order for me to get the original off. I used a 1 inch open ended wrench. You have to use the hex side.

Vintage 2002 Harley Davidson V-Twin_Racing_Street_Custom_A_Model_V-ROD

De-badged vivid black & chrome
Weld Racing Charger5 wheels w/ matching pulley
Semi-topless
16Ga Screamin EagleŽ headers
Screamin EagleŽ Race Tuner
Unlimited Engineering 5.3 Gal gas tank
pScyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
rony_espana
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Hey just about to attempt to replace my rear brake switch today, do I need to bleed the rear brake? I was told that if I apply a tiny bit a pressure to the lever and hold after I remove the old switch and while installing the new one I can avoid bleeding. I know I should take it to the dealer, but $120 seems crazy to me.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #23
TaxmanHog
Noel

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rony_espana View Post
Hey just about to attempt to replace my rear brake switch today, do I need to bleed the rear brake? I was told that if I apply a tiny bit a pressure to the lever and hold after I remove the old switch and while installing the new one I can avoid bleeding. I know I should take it to the dealer, but $120 seems crazy to me.
Yes, you will end up getting air in the line, flush it through, $120 is well worth it if you are not comfortable doing this work
ET: 9.661
Mph: 139.34
TaxmanHog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #24
pScyko
Jarhead

I agree with $120 being alot to bleed brakes. Bleeding brakes is not difficult. However, if you have ABS you can't do it in one shot without the dealer's service tool.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #25
pScyko
Jarhead

You could bleed it normal and go for a couple of short rides and trigger the ABS to get the old fluid and any air pushed out of the ABS passages into the main line.
[Edit]
... I know, not the safest way but it works dangit.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #26
SvFiat
Kidzap

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by b14fair View Post
I own a 2009 VRSCAW Nov 2011 the brake light switch went bad. Replaced it with the 72023-51D from Harley. Now its Nov 2012 and I am replacing it with a 72023-51E from Harley. Let's see how long this lasts. I'm in Hawaii and I needed it fast but I will definitely look aftermarket for the next. I have gotten better at taken off the exhaust though.
09 VRSCF with 44K just replaced the switch with the 72023-51E part. BTW this is the first mechanical failure for the bike.

SvFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement