Sell ?? or pack away for future - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
markcus58
V-rodVette

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sell ?? or pack away for future

I have a '05 VRSCSE in my garage that is getting very little use so I am starting to question if I should let her go to another rider or pack it up for possible future changes in life that may bring her into more use. She sits up now cuz like all of us I have only so much freedom away from domestic duties, and the time I do have is taken with my Corvettes and guitars - plain and simple too many toys....

So, sell or put it cold storage ???
markcus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

With the low in the market it may be smarter to hang on to it. Make it long term storage ready with a full service and drain. I think at some point the domestic duties slow down time frees up and ridding becomes more forefront. With it being a SE bike its not a normal production machine like most others. I dont think now SE means more cash but in a few years it may. Look at the cheezy Dodge Omni with the Shelby stickers on it. Worth 10x more than any other Omni. That was junk and the SE isnt (unless you ask Lux who will say its a circus bike and only a clown is looking for one.) Seriously unless you have someone offering some "right" money for it now, I would hang onto it. Anything could change.
Any Edit is to fix spelling
Hunt and Peck its a way of life
Still no Facebook just older
They removed my soul to fit in all this sarcasm
BUMPER beats HELMET every time.
Nas3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Boost
Back in Black

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
yea now is not the time to sell unless you want to loose some $

My bikes pictures click here
04 b 50 wet nos lowered chromed out slamed
07 dx blacked out, engine redone!
03 European gsxr 1000 over 200 hp sold to buy 08 Buell 1125r
Founder of NightMare's NightRiders!
Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Place it on the battery tender till April 2013,then post for sale
03VRSCA sold after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
markcus58
V-rodVette

Thanks guys for the responses. I agree if I was to sell it next spring would be the time to list it (same goes for the boat). But my real issue is should I hold it till life takes a turn that frees up more time or send it onto someone that may use it some... Keeping it does not really cost any money so long is it requires only minor work to bring it back into form after sitting up (big question mark). Of importance also is the issue of maintaining the chrome. It is covered & in an insulated garage but chrome likes to tarnish and rust. I have seen some chrome sealant products so I will need to investigate them some...Then again I could sell in the spring and buy again if / when the future presents the need. Yea, this may be the best course.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Outlander
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcus58 View Post
Then again I could sell in the spring and buy again if / when the future presents the need. Yea, this may be the best course.
Your choice of when but in your situation I'd sell.

You're not in a hurry so advertise it on the high end. If and when someone comes along willing to pay more than you value it at its a pretty easy decision to let it go.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I guess the question is do you expect your life to change and permit more riding? If so, and this is just a temporary hiatus from riding, I would hang on to it. Consider how hard an identical bike would be to find when you resume riding, assuming you love your V-Rod as much as I do.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
mikeinatlanta
relaxed and happy

I just started a five+ year stint in Australia and will get less than 2 months of riding a year during that time. No way I’m getting rid of my R.
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #9
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
It always comes down to money and/or convenience. Can you afford to keep it without hurting yourself or family?
Is storing it going to be an inconvenience?

Keep it. After many years of riding, many miles, there were a few times I was preoccupied, traveling, didn't care or didn't have time and eventually sold my scoot. Always after a few years you wish you had it, if even for just a short Sunday run around town. Been many years since I've been without, I've learned, and even if the bikes just sit, there will always be at least 1 in the garage. Always.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
Domvrodder
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Chrome will pit

Yes sitting around the chrome will pit for sure, I had a 2003 fat boy in heated storage and sold it in 2011 7 miles on it and the chrome was starting to peel, so unless your going wipe it down once a month I would sell it, They are selling for around $10000-$12500 maybe more, Good Luck
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcus58 View Post
Of importance also is the issue of maintaining the chrome. It is covered & in an insulated garage but chrome likes to tarnish and rust. I have seen some chrome sealant products so I will need to investigate them some..
I'm wondering if anybody gave their chrome a good winterized spit shine, then covered with clear "SILICONE" for preservation??? Then "PEEL " off the silicone in the spring.
03VRSCA sold after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sell it. One day you want to ride it again go buy another one, they will be cheaper by then and there will be much better ones available if you are not stuck on the way that thing looks.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domvrodder View Post
Yes sitting around the chrome will pit for sure, I had a 2003 fat boy in heated storage and sold it in 2011 7 miles on it and the chrome was starting to peel, so unless your going wipe it down once a month I would sell it, They are selling for around $10000-$12500 maybe more, Good Luck
I have found the best protectant for chrome storage is wd-40. Saturate the entire bike in it 3 or 4 cans spray everything. Soak it well. Dont wipe any off let it sit for a day or two then cover it with a soft cloth blanket and then a bike cover. Come back 3 years later in a brick garage with no door and uncover wash it off and it looks like it was put away last night.
Any Edit is to fix spelling
Hunt and Peck its a way of life
Still no Facebook just older
They removed my soul to fit in all this sarcasm
BUMPER beats HELMET every time.
Nas3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
markcus58
V-rodVette

Slim chance I'll find another like this one, but there are lots of great Vrods / HD's out there and always will be (in my lifetime). This is becoming a real flopping fish story now. I gotta find out if the WD40 trick works cuz if that keeps it looking new and I fog the engine that pushes things in the "keep it" zone. I mean I bought a then classic car in '76 and am happy as shxx I still got it, and it has seen it's share of down years. Well, I guess I got time till the spring to ponder the what if's. Maybe I'll call the local HD shop and talk over the long term sitting up requirements.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
alestex
Chrome Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've been looking for a '05 SE for my neighbor.

ASKING prices are all over the board right now across dealers, individuals and geography. It's a tough season to be selling right now with the holidays approaching. You've got the benefit of being in the Republic of Texas as far as weather and riding season.

There aren't many of these bikes out there and there will only be fewer in the future.

I think the biggest selling issue is that you have a very finite market...that would appreciate the uniqueness of the bike and the value.

If you don't need the cash I'd at least hang onto the bike till next spring... Just my 2 cents.

p.s. As you know, Houston can kill any metal as I learned after one season with anything metal in my garage...just about everything that could rust or corrode did...
alestex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement