cam advise please - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Hi-Performance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #16
The Broker
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks guys will keep my head spinning just looking for enough track horse power!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
The Broker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
vrunner79
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Broker View Post
Thanks guys will keep my head spinning just looking for enough track horse power!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
Your gonna have pleanty of Track HP on paper my tune was 128hp and the first time on the track with my "F" my best time of the day was 11.35 @119.85 mph
Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
5aint
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by VrodPete View Post
I can say it's very streetable at 150HP, but that took a 1402 motor and SE II cams. If you are talking about a NA motor you'd be getting on the short side of reliable in that range (IMHO). You'll either be going to bigger pistons or an even longer stroke, and both have seen some reliability issues. Now if you turbo it with a mild engine upgrade (and def. NOT SE II cams!) you might see it and have it be reliable. Rod (Member RSC) is the turbo king around here. Lane (Member Lane) can tell you each and every one of a turbo'd bikes limits
So basically what I got out of all this is if I intend on a supercharger, do not supercharge with stage 2 cams. Why is that? That doesn't seem like its pushing the engine too much. What about 58mm throttle bodies? Are they ok to run with a supercharger? I'm pretty much done cosmetically with the bike so now it's time to soup it up.

maybe i need to approach my question this way. what can i do performance wise with a supercharger? headwork? stage II cams? 58mm throttle bodies? 26t pulley? are there other options ( i dont mean a turbo or big bore)?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Current: Kreater carbon kit, BSTs w/ ceramic wheel bearing, Swan composite rotors, K&N Topless, Bub 7 2-1, Daytona Twin Tec, Progressive 440's, MS Biketec upper fork covers, Arlen Ness Deep Cut grips and pegs (powder coated), Arlen Ness RAD III mirrors, HD reduced reach handlebars, Figure custom derby and clutch cover, HD Black LED headlamp, Porsche horn cover.

Ordered:

Planned:Rotrex supercharger

For Sale:PC V (08 retro fit), Sundowner seat

Go big or go home
5aint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Assuming the original cam is competent (and it does seem to be) all another one can do is move the power around the rev range. Presumably you have a Road Rod for sports touring, and all the aftermarket cams are designed to move the power up the rev range (which of course means more of it). So... Why do you want another cam?

I haven't got them, but the Harley stage II cams seem very competent. You'll get more top end performance at the expense of the midrange. If that's what you want.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #20
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Supercharger, ie. forced induction, basically negates the need for more radical cams and larger TB's.

The reason for those mods is to put more charge into the cyclinder which a SC or TC do naturally.

Typically for an otherwise stock engine a good SC or TC install provides some of the most HP with the least additional wear of engine components than radical cams, and an engine that doesn't run finicky at low RPM's
Old 11-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #21
VrodPete
Elephant Motors Rock

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4man View Post
Supercharger, ie. forced induction, basically negates the need for more radical cams and larger TB's.

The reason for those mods is to put more charge into the cyclinder which a SC or TC do naturally.

Typically for an otherwise stock engine a good SC or TC install provides some of the most HP with the least additional wear of engine components than radical cams, and an engine that doesn't run finicky at low RPM's
^^ Here's your explanation. The SE II CAMS have a long duration and a lot of overlap - so with forced induction you're going to essentially just push more of your charge right out the exhaust before you compress it. Take a look at some of what Jan-Dirk has done, using only stock cams. With cam timing and some creativity you can build a great top end for an FI motor with no more than stock cams.

EDIT: I'd also add that (IMHO!) a big bore motor puts more charge into the cylinder "Naturally", there's nothing at all natural about a blower !

HD SE II Cams, 3/8" Falicon Crank, Carillo Rods, CP Pistons, DA Fitz Engine Brace, Destroyer Injectors, Doherty oil pan, DA Fitz Head Port/Polish/+1mm Valves+springs, DA Fitz 58mm TBs, ARP studs, V&H 2nd Gear+Shift Shaft, Motohouligan Airbox, Wegner 2->1 Exhaust with Supertrapp V5

152.77 HP, 101.06 TQ

Other Toys: '01 BMW K1200LT, '76 Honda CB550F, '81 Mooney M20J

VrodPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #22
Boost
Back in Black

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
also most people are running turbo not supercharger. There is a difference, do some research on supercharger before you spend the $.

My bikes pictures click here
04 b 50 wet nos lowered chromed out slamed
07 dx blacked out, engine redone!
03 European gsxr 1000 over 200 hp sold to buy 08 Buell 1125r
Founder of NightMare's NightRiders!
Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #23
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrodPete View Post
^^ Here's your explanation. The SE II CAMS have a long duration and a lot of overlap - so with forced induction you're going to essentially just push more of your charge right out the exhaust before you compress it. Take a look at some of what Jan-Dirk has done, using only stock cams. With cam timing and some creativity you can build a great top end for an FI motor with no more than stock cams.

EDIT: I'd also add that (IMHO!) a big bore motor puts more charge into the cylinder "Naturally", there's nothing at all natural about a blower !
SC's and TC's are compressors and by the "nature" of their operation they compact more a higher pressure charge into a given space

Personally love and believe in Turbo's. Had T'bird Turbo coupe in 80's and turbo diesel truck now. Simple reasonably trouble free devices which give alot of additional performance without excess strain on valve train components.
Haven't felt the need to add one to my Rod, but my Mazda 3 on the other hand, hmmmmm..........
Advertisement