Difference between 06 and 07 engines - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Turbovtwin
Lifetime Premium
 
Turbovtwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Difference between 06 and 07 engines

Hello fellow riders. I'm trying to find out if anyone out there knows of any difference between the 2006 and 2007 engines. I have one of each engine for a turbo build. They look the same to me but Harley said they have different part numbers for the engine case. I know 07 is when they went to the 240 tire but I don't know if there's a performance difference between the two or a weak link in one or the other. Please let me know if anyone out there might have some information for me. Thanks. I just don't want to put a ton of money into the wrong engine, if there is one.
Turbovtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Philthy
Registered Full
 
Philthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 9,332
Images: 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wonder of the different part numbers are for different finishes, such as the wrinkel black used on the R, D, and DX while the cases of the X and AW were a high gloss gunmetal powder coat?
__________________
The pilot is always the first person at the scene of the crash.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Turbovtwin
Lifetime Premium
 
Turbovtwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I never thought of that aspect. I guess that could be the reason. I asked Harley and they didn't even know the answer.
Turbovtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Philthy
Registered Full
 
Philthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 9,332
Images: 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have access to 2006 and 2007 V-Rod parts manuals? My 2007 parts manual shows the "platinum" case for the VRSCAW having a 2005 part number (the part numbers end with a "-05K" suffix), the wrinkle black cases for the VRSCR, VRSCD and VRSCDX also having 2005 part numbers. Only the silver case for the VRSCX has a 2007 part number (the X was also a 1250 where the other V-Rods for 2007 were 1130 cc engines). 2005 was the year the rear engine mounts changed and HD deleted the bushing in the rear of the engine case for the swingarm shaft. I believe that was the only major change in the cases other than exterior finishes until 2008 when everything became a 1250.
Meditate on this. The R and D had narrow 180 rear tires, while the DX has a 240 rear tire. But, the 2007 D used the exact same frame as the 2007 DX and AW along with the same swingarm used by the AW and X models.
__________________
The pilot is always the first person at the scene of the crash.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Turbovtwin
Lifetime Premium
 
Turbovtwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the info and your time. I don't have a V-Rod parts manual, but I should probably look into getting one. I guess that answers my question. I'm guessing dimensionally they are both the same. I just have to pick one and get building. Thanks again for your time. I appreciate that.
Turbovtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Philthy
Registered Full
 
Philthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 9,332
Images: 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbovtwin View Post
Thanks for the info and your time. I don't have a V-Rod parts manual, but I should probably look into getting one. I guess that answers my question. I'm guessing dimensionally they are both the same. I just have to pick one and get building. Thanks again for your time. I appreciate that.
An engine case from an X model will be bored to accept 1250 cc liners while the other engines will be bored for 1130 cc liners.
__________________
The pilot is always the first person at the scene of the crash.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
Turbovtwin
Lifetime Premium
 
Turbovtwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The X models are the Screaming Eagle bikes right?
Turbovtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
mikeinatlanta
relaxed and happy
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: tyrone ga
Posts: 1,006
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pulley maybe?
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
Vambo
Banned
 
Vambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,891
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbovtwin View Post
Hello fellow riders. I'm trying to find out if anyone out there knows of any difference between the 2006 and 2007 engines. I have one of each engine for a turbo build. They look the same to me but Harley said they have different part numbers for the engine case. I know 07 is when they went to the 240 tire but I don't know if there's a performance difference between the two or a weak link in one or the other. Please let me know if anyone out there might have some information for me. Thanks. I just don't want to put a ton of money into the wrong engine, if there is one.
There is no wrong engine, LOL!

The 2007 X model had slightly bigger cylinders, CNC ported heads and higher lift cams. It is a 1250 displacement. I'm fairly sure "1250" was stamped on the heads. The standard in 06 and 07 was an 1130cc. The 1250 became standard I think in 08. Either one should prove more than effective.
Post the part numbers, there is usually a difference at the end like a B or C for black or chrome as an example. Might be all that is to it.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
Philthy
Registered Full
 
Philthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 9,332
Images: 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbovtwin View Post
The X models are the Screaming Eagle bikes right?
Yeah, that was the Screaming Eagle V-Rod for 2007.

__________________
The pilot is always the first person at the scene of the crash.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
Philthy
Registered Full
 
Philthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 9,332
Images: 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
There is no wrong engine, LOL!

The 2007 X model had slightly bigger cylinders, CNC ported heads and higher lift cams. It is a 1250 displacement. I'm fairly sure "1250" was stamped on the heads. The standard in 06 and 07 was an 1130cc. The 1250 became standard I think in 08. Either one should prove more than effective.
Post the part numbers, there is usually a difference at the end like a B or C for black or chrome as an example. Might be all that is to it.
The cases for the 2007 R, D and DX are identical and the aprt number has a -05K suffix. The X cases have a -07 part number. I will have to look at my parts manual tonight after work to see if the X had different cams than other V-Rod models that year.
__________________
The pilot is always the first person at the scene of the crash.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
stever975
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 4,982
Images: 7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbovtwin View Post
The X models are the Screaming Eagle bikes right?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Yeah, that was the Screaming Eagle V-Rod for 2007.
There were no SE V-rods in 2007. Calling it a SE bike just confuses things.

The VRSCX has Screamin' Eagle graphics and it's a limited production "numbered" bike but it was a regular production model not one of the CVO SE bikes.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Philthy
Registered Full
 
Philthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 9,332
Images: 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stever975 View Post
No.

There were no SE V-rods in 2007. Calling it a SE bike just confuses things.

The VRSCX has Screamin' Eagle graphics and it's a limited production "numbered" bike but it was a regular production model not one of the CVO SE bikes.
So it cannot be a "Screaming Eagle" model unless it is also a CVO model? Could have fooled me. Numbered, limited production and SE graphics, but it's not an SE model?



Sorry but I have to wave the flag.
__________________
The pilot is always the first person at the scene of the crash.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
stever975
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 4,982
Images: 7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
So it cannot be a "Screaming Eagle" model unless it is also a CVO model? ....
Yes. SE bikes are made by the CVO and have an "SE" in the model name. The VRSCX doesn't qualify.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 865
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^^^ He is correct
WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum