Windshield - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #16
luxlamf
Sanctimonious
 
luxlamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 44,117
Images: 105
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by capncarp View Post
Seriously, I bought the Harley windshield, don't know which one offhand, but like it and I'm 6'2' and love it. It is quick detachable (four quick clamps) and on in three minutes, off in 30 seconds.

Just don't force the clamps to close.....the triggers are pot metal and if you have to use too much pressure to close you have something misaligned and they will break.........$35 bucks a clamp to replace.

Ignore luxlamf: I don't feel that a windshield truly destroys the "look" as bad as he makes it out for.

Sometimes, Function TRUMPS Form.........and he often misses this fact.

I don't believe I said anything about looks form or function. This is how shit starts.
__________________
I Ride My Bike To Trailer Rallies.
luxlamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #17
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium
 
CPTJAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 10,371
Images: 21
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Try a supersport first. Used, around 150 or so. If not high enough, the touring windshield is nice. I ride alot. I do 500 mile days. Day after day. I would not be able to do that without a wind shield. Rode 50 miles with a friend, who does not have one. He suffered. I did not.
This time, David was helpful and factual. As he points out, everyone is different, and where the wind is directed to is huge. On him, not so good. On you, might work. Try it! Joe
__________________
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
.
CPTJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #18
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks
 
Nas3car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kannapoils NC
Posts: 5,936
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by capncarp View Post

Ignore luxlamf: I don't feel that a windshield truly destroys the "look" as bad as he makes it out for.

Sometimes, Function TRUMPS Form.........and he often misses this fact.
I said it.
__________________
Chuck
1981 SuperGlide
2007 VRSCDX the rarest of the DX one year only 1130cc.
Any Edit is to fix spelling
Hunt and Peck its a way of life
Still no Facebook just older
BUMPER beats HELMET every time.
They removed my soul to fit in all this sarcasm
Nas3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
rc4man
EXCELSIOR
 
rc4man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Out there
Posts: 6,944
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
HD sells the "QD" quickly detachable Ultimate Touring model but for less money you should look at Memphis Shades for a QD unit.
They go on/off in seconds.
__________________
"V" Rod Forman, '04 Anodized "B", 50th B-day gift from wife. http://www.mem.com/Story.aspx?ID=2528706
rc4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #20
H-D Heathen
Asatruar
 
H-D Heathen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere betwixt Findlay & Bellefontaine,Ohio.
Posts: 1,703
Images: 28
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTJAM View Post
Try a supersport first. Used, around 150 or so. If not high enough, the touring windshield is nice. I ride alot. I do 500 mile days. Day after day. I would not be able to do that without a wind shield. Rode 50 miles with a friend, who does not have one. He suffered. I did not.
This time, David was helpful and factual. As he points out, everyone is different, and where the wind is directed to is huge. On him, not so good. On you, might work. Try it! Joe


Plus I feel that the H-D SuperSport shield's shape fits the lines of a V Rod better than most other options.

Here's an example...an older picture of rsc's bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RSC1.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	189150  
H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
Philthy
Registered Full
 
Philthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 9,332
Images: 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a Supersport Windshield on my R. It works fine for me. For us R riders, the riding position with our feet underneath us and our torsos leaned forward a bit puts our helmets a lot closer to the windshield than with other models of the V-Rod with forward controls. We do not have the buffeting or wind down our necks some riders complain of, nor do we notice air coming up from underneath because we don't have our legs out in front of us acting like air deflectors. On my R I can cruise along at 100 mph effortlessly, and sometimes out in the desert here I can do that. I couldn't do long trips, high speeds or even make routine trips to LA in the winter without it. Sometimes beauty is as beauty does.
__________________
The pilot is always the first person at the scene of the crash.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #22
ALV10ROD
2012 V-Rider 10th AE
 
ALV10ROD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 80
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by capncarp View Post
Seriously, I bought the Harley windshield, don't know which one offhand, but like it and I'm 6'2' and love it. It is quick detachable (four quick clamps) and on in three minutes, off in 30 seconds.

Just don't force the clamps to close.....the triggers are pot metal and if you have to use too much pressure to close you have something misaligned and they will break.........$35 bucks a clamp to replace.

Ignore luxlamf: I don't feel that a windshield truly destroys the "look" as bad as he makes it out for.

Sometimes, Function TRUMPS Form.........and he often misses this fact.
Part of the deal when I bought my vrod is the harley windshield. I have a 2012 Vrod 10yr anniversary. You're right about the handlebar clamp, it breaks easy and I found that out but the most ignorant thing I learned is that, the clamp cannot be ordered separately so they're going to warranty the whole thing and replace the whole thing instead of just ordering the clamp that I need. Don't make sense at all...
__________________
ALBCareful
"No matter what it is, it's always better to enjoy a safe ride"

ALV10ROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #23
bermuda
Registered Full
 
bermuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 148
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a Super Sport windshield and I don't think it detracts from the looks of the bike.
Maybe I'm just used to it.
Here's a pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	retouchedfront.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	856.1 KB
ID:	190868
bermuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #24
Philthy
Registered Full
 
Philthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 9,332
Images: 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALV10ROD View Post
Part of the deal when I bought my vrod is the harley windshield. I have a 2012 Vrod 10yr anniversary. You're right about the handlebar clamp, it breaks easy and I found that out but the most ignorant thing I learned is that, the clamp cannot be ordered separately so they're going to warranty the whole thing and replace the whole thing instead of just ordering the clamp that I need. Don't make sense at all...
Hmmm. I have bought clamps as spares. No problem either. The part number is 57788-01. Good luck and let us know what you find.
__________________
The pilot is always the first person at the scene of the crash.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum