Tires - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCD
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
Redcap
Rocky Mountain Rider

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtalbot View Post
Are they out of stock. I went through Amazon and also got free shipping. Just go to amazon and type in the brand and size and they should come up. Steve

I just went to Amazon and typed "METZELER ME880 MARATHON XXL RADIAL REAR" scroll to the bottom the last size on the right click on it then click on 3 new and it comes up.
That says 100/50 R18 ... is that the same as the ZR?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2006 HD Night Rod VRSCD
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
swtalbot
She f...in Hates me!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcap View Post
That says 100/50 R18 ... is that the same as the ZR?
You meant 200/50 R18 right? If indeed it is not a ZR just the R its the speed rating. I just went to the Metzler site and the difference is the R is rated to 130MPH and the ZR is rated to 149MPH.
2006 Night Rod
PC III, K & N filter
Forward controls
5 Gallon UE tank
Vance & Hines Double Barrel Exhaust
200 Metzler, Progressive 440 rears
Custom swing arm pivot caps By Superchicken
Custom Derby And Clutch cover from Superchicken
swtalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
Redcap
Rocky Mountain Rider

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtalbot View Post
You meant 200/50 R18 right? If indeed it is not a ZR just the R its the speed rating. I just went to the Metzler site and the difference is the R is rated to 130MPH and the ZR is rated to 149MPH.
Woops that's what i meant.... 200/50 R18. Thanks for the reply!!! I am now ready to order since I rarely exceed 130 hehe

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2006 HD Night Rod VRSCD
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #19
swtalbot
She f...in Hates me!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcap View Post
Woops that's what i meant.... 200/50 R18. Thanks for the reply!!! I am now ready to order since I rarely exceed 130 hehe
The other thing is that the higher speed tire is a little sticker but will not ware as well. Good luck. Steve
2006 Night Rod
PC III, K & N filter
Forward controls
5 Gallon UE tank
Vance & Hines Double Barrel Exhaust
200 Metzler, Progressive 440 rears
Custom swing arm pivot caps By Superchicken
Custom Derby And Clutch cover from Superchicken
swtalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
Yarvis
Official bike nut

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Got my rear Metzeler from www.RevZilla.com for $175.00 shipped with some discounts I had. Me and my buddy did the rear change because I caught a flat and he is blessed to have a pro bike lift and EVERY TOOL known to man. I see why bike shops charge what they do, because this was NOT an easy task! Thanks to RCSROD and his wonderful videos, we used them as a great starting point and did the change recently. I am not sure if I would want to do it again though, It was LOTS and LOTS of work. Alot of stuff to keep track of and keep together. Another mutual friend swung by and we did her rear tire on her BMW in less than 1 hour, while mine took in excess of 3 with several breaks thrown in.
The ride home was an adventure as it was POURING and I now have a new slippery tire on the rear! The next day my friends at work who knew I was going to tackle this myself, come up to me and ask why I didn't do the front, "you have wear showing on your front tire Yarvis." Sure enough, the front tire is showing signs of cupping on the left side and I never really bothered to look at it because I was so concentrated on the rear. WTF??? Granted these tires had a little more than 10k on them and the bike has just under 17k on the speedo. So again, will be ordering from RevZilla but am asking, is the front tire EASIER and quicker to replace than the rear?
2001 BMW R1200c Phoenix

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ---John Lennon.
Yarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #21
Yarvis
Official bike nut

I'll answer my own question here about replacing the front tire. You better believe it's A LOT easier than the rear! I just searched for RSCROD's video for replacing the front and it's going to be a breeze compared to the rear. My only issue might be my moto lights which are attached to my calipers. They are heavy being milled out of billet aluminum and are wire tied along my front brake lines. I will definitely need some type of bungee cords to hold all of the weight up and out of the way.
2001 BMW R1200c Phoenix

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ---John Lennon.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #22
Malcomx
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4man View Post
Bridgestone Excedra are a good bargain and the front wears evenly but no 200 is available.
The Metz is a good all round wear and grip and not priced too badly if you shop them around. And it's available in a 200 rear if you choose.
Order online if you can to save and find a local Jap bike shop to change them cheap.
American Motorcycle Tire online is good source.
I like the Excedras, got about 7k on them and they both still look good. Bridgestone does make 200 rear, it's an OEM for the V-Max. I'm going to try it next time.
Malcomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
Yarvis
Official bike nut

Should have my new front tire on Monday. Really is bad up front with a cupped tire.
2001 BMW R1200c Phoenix

Old 10-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #24
davidg68124
DavidG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just got my new Metzelers on today. All I can say is wow. This bike is so much easier to handle with these on now that I had to stop overcorrecting because I had to work much harder to get a lean out of it on curvies.

I will be traveling this week so I will get a better feel for them. I did go with the 200mm rear. I may have to do some mods on the inner fender but we will see.

David
2006 VRSCD
davidg68124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #25
davidg68124
DavidG

I have run into clearance problems with the bagger bars so I need to remove them. Then I will get more miles on them to decide.

David
Old 10-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #26
Sled Dog
Registered Full

This is great info. My 2007 also needs new tires and it sounds like the original Dunlops are not the tire to get. It also sounds like you guys are putting a different rear tire on. Does this fit with no mods and what are the advantages/disadvantages?
And keep in mind I'm a very inexperienced rider and so am NOT gonna be riding aggressively!

Oh yeah, and is there a video on how to take off the front and rear tire?
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #27
davidg68124
DavidG

Alot of the people here like the metzelers or better yet, Avons. I went with the Metz's because of the overall view on them. I have to agree, it is a different bike. If you get the stock width, no problems, I went with the 200mm rear so I had to modify/remove the bagger brackets for clearance.

The bike feels different. I am almost overcorrecting when leaning in turns it is so much easier to lean now. When the winds break and it warms a bit, I will be on it alot more. It got COD here!

David
Old 10-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
Yarvis
Official bike nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Dog View Post
This is great info. My 2007 also needs new tires and it sounds like the original Dunlops are not the tire to get. It also sounds like you guys are putting a different rear tire on. Does this fit with no mods and what are the advantages/disadvantages?
And keep in mind I'm a very inexperienced rider and so am NOT gonna be riding aggressively!

Oh yeah, and is there a video on how to take off the front and rear tire?
Sled:
This is my second set of Metzelers I placed on this bike. Bridgestone makes a tire, I believe the 850 & 851 as well. They cost quite a bit less than Metzelers but I have never used them and maybe someone else here can chime in with an opinion? The Metzelers though I have had on two other bikes along with the night Rod and I can't speak highly enough of them! They LAST a long time and handle fantastic in every type of weather. I just got 11k plus out of the front (was at the wear limit and starting to cup) and believe it or not, the rear still looked decent, only reason I removed was because of a nail. I took it off and it is sitting in my friends garage as a spare if I ever need one. I do understand the Avon's are great also but they cost a little more than Metzelers. I would go with whatever is more readily available in your neck of the woods.
We have a member here named rscrod. He has a TON of videos on YouTube and believe me, they are GREAT to look at to help you along. I felt confident enough to tackle the tire job this go round. (but it is kind of tricky and alot of work and has me thinking to let the pros do the rear)
I like the stock sizes although you can go with a 200 out back, you might need some mods or get lucky and need none. Good luck and welcome aboard!
2001 BMW R1200c Phoenix

Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #29
Sled Dog
Registered Full

From my research on this site Metzelers seem the way to go, stock size. I have seen RSCROD's videos on youtube, they are great. I'm sure I'll have no problem doing it my self after watching them!
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #30
free bird
Registered Full

I have been very pleased with Metzlers on numerous Harley's and Buells
Advertisement