Thinking about trading Road King for Vrod? - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
FastVRJohnny
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you like the bike and it fits you, go for it.
FastVRJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
Lady F
Nicole

About the only thing I could add (other than all the good comments already posted) is, as someone who rides both as a passenger and ride my own ... the RK bags rub the back of the calf muscle of your passenger so not all the comfy, but the V-Rod family ... one up bikes for sure unless you’re only going out for ice cream.
Lady F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #18
XKnight

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I went to the dealer yesterday and worked out a decent trade in deal on my RK and a good price on a new V-Rod. Unfortunately after the test ride I quickly realized that the V-Rod just isn't for me because my lower back was already causing me pain after only 20 minutes on the bike. If not for the lower back pain I would have bought the bike, it was light, handled well and had great power throughout the gears. I considered if risers and reach handle bars would help, but am hesitant to purchase a bike that just doesn't fit me from the start and then having to spend money for comfort upgrades that I don't know will even work for me. So, I'm keeping the RK for now.
XKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
slim_b_kool
Registered Full

The v-rod come with possibly the most uncomfortable seat ever. I have back problems and my seat is gonna be redone with gel inserts and foam to take some of the jolt out of the ride. I've done 500 miles a day or more with it. I moved the rear pegs lower to help my passenger. The v-rod is the Corvette of the HD line. The rk is in the Cadillac line of bikes. The 12 models do have a shorter reach to the bars and pegs. But the seat is a big deal breaker for alot of people with the v-rod.
slim_b_kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #20
Lady F
Nicole

For me ... I'll tweak for comfort ... I do a lot of parades and have family out west I'd like to ride out to see, so for me, I want liquid cooled more than any other factor.
Lady F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #21
phobby
Registered Full

I ride night train, Fatboy, soft tail classic, dyna, and RK of my fathers for ten years. Had my muscle for 6 weeks, went home and borrowed the RK for a ride with friends. I'd never go back to those airheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
phobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #22
alestex
Chrome Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OP I understand your concern... The first V that I considered buying was the Muscle. Absolutely loved the look of the bike, but after years of riding in an upright position I didn't feel comfortable (lower back). It just wasn't for me.

However, while I was there I tested out the VRSCAW and it felt perfect...for me. Best Harley I've ever owned. Many of the V models have a similar, more upright, riding position. I'd suggest you keep looking for the right one...
alestex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
pday
(Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoe View Post
Just rode my NRS 200 miles - including 90 miles in pissing rain - to Daytona at night (with full-face helmet). Bike tracked well and was very comfortable. Really, I didn't even think about the RK.
My lady (who runs a CVO FATBOY) rode it home - and liked it, though at 5-foot-3 she'd like the pegs in a different place.
She took the NRS home because I crashed my race bike on the infield at Daytona International Speedway, was knocked out cold - and screwed up my left knee.
Oops!
I hate it when that happens! Glad you survived with minimal damage.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #24
Daddie O
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by alestex View Post
OP I understand your concern... The first V that I considered buying was the Muscle. Absolutely loved the look of the bike, but after years of riding in an upright position I didn't feel comfortable (lower back). It just wasn't for me.

However, while I was there I tested out the VRSCAW and it felt perfect...for me. Best Harley I've ever owned. Many of the V models have a similar, more upright, riding position. I'd suggest you keep looking for the right one...

I can't stand the riding position of the muscle, but my VRSCSE fits me like a glove. The width of frame, position of controls, and reach to bars are different on different model years.
Daddie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #25
ELUSIVE 1
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleynurse View Post
Don't do it, you'll regret giving up the comfy RoadKing ride and fuel economy. The Road King gets 50 mpg, compared to Muscles 37 mpg(if lucky).

It's possible to increase your RoadKing speed with minimal money.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
BT
I lift heavy things.

Did we buy a Harley for fuel economy ?
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
phobby
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tony View Post
Did we buy a Harley for fuel economy ?
I will take my F in the rain over a Prius/similar car any day. Mpg is all in the throttle the vrod just makes it hard to say no

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
phobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #28
jmrapley
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKing View Post
tI traded my 2009 VRSCAW for a 2010 Road King in 2010. Had that RK 18 months - missed the V Rod from the day I traded it in. Eighteen months later I traded my 2010 RK in on my
09 VRSCAW (that the dealer never sold). My V Rod had 10200 miles on it when I traded it in and had the same mileage when I got it back.....Riding is so much more fun now.

The VRSCA/W line was the most comfy for me. I tried a Muscle but it just was not as comfy as the AW. I'm 6'1" 32" inseam. 34" sleeve. AW fits me perfect - I do not have to "reach" for the bars they are right where I needed them to be. I do not know why HD discontinued the AW - but they are my favorite.

Your right about the RK they are heavy, underpowered, run hot, and are slow - But they are "somewhat comfortable"

I don't miss that RK at all. Good luck - any VRod you choose will be a good choice.
Nice re-union story. I like it. Welcome back.

Life's Too Short
jmrapley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #29
Outlander
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I went to the dealer yesterday and worked out a decent trade in deal on my RK and a good price on a new V-Rod. Unfortunately after the test ride I quickly realized that the V-Rod just isn't for me because my lower back was already causing me pain after only 20 minutes on the bike. If not for the lower back pain I would have bought the bike, it was light, handled well and had great power throughout the gears. I considered if risers and reach handle bars would help, but am hesitant to purchase a bike that just doesn't fit me from the start and then having to spend money for comfort upgrades that I don't know will even work for me. So, I'm keeping the RK for now.
Does your RK have the 96 or 103? I had a '10 RKC with the 96 and it was on the slow side. I traded in on a '12 Street Glide and am much happier with it.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #30
slim_b_kool
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
Does your RK have the 96 or 103? I had a '10 RKC with the 96 and it was on the slow side. I traded in on a '12 Street Glide and am much happier with it.
I have to agree the 11s or newer have the 103. It runs better than the 96. Stage 1 with a nice of SE 255 or 265s really wake those 103s up. With the 265s you will get around 100hp/100tq. So it has the potential to make good power. Some head work and some stronger valve springs and you can make some good power out of a 103s. With the right work you can get close to 120hp/120tq out of the 103s. But I wouldn't ride it in a parade but they make parade fans for the air cooled bikes to keep them from melting down. I have rode mine in 4 parades and I never had any problems. The water-cooling is nice but I think you would be happier with the AW model as it is a relaxed riding position. It would be real easy to turn it into a road rod or v-king than a dx or f model as they are more aggressive seating position than the AW model. I think it would be better suited to what you want to do.
slim_b_kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement