(Possible) new guy here - help! - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Baggers
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
hoz88

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Possible) new guy here - help!

Ok, I have a 2007 dx located and am considering getting it and Road Rodding it, but have a few questions before I dump a bunch of money.

First, I am 6'3" and am a little concerned about keeping the wind off me without buffeting. I had a Road Glide and I never could get the buffeting figured out even after trying 8-9 different windshields. I only owned that bike for a year for just that reason.

Second is handlebars. Again, being taller I want the bars higher but don't want apes that stick a foot above the fairing. No offense to people that like the look, but it isn't for me. What is out there for bars that would be around the height of the top of the fairing (not the windshield)?

Third, the rear fender. I know the CV extension is functional, but has anybody used anything else? I would like to find something that looks a little less added on.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give!
hoz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
cowan924
jockrod

I have been looking at some front end protection also...so far I'm torm between the Bob Dron fairing and the Memphis Shades Batwing from V-Mod.I already put Kuryakan swing wing peg to add some legroom...works great
cowan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
knucklehead15
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I used Corbin beetle bags on my 11 dx road rod
knucklehead15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
gator582
Retired, Not SLOW!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I have no answers for your questions but anyway.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Demthios
To boost or not??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I would suggest checking out the bagger section. Alot of guys are doing some awesome stuff over there.
Demthios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Daniii
Geezer

Having tried four windshields, and two on the bat wing fairing, I have found that the best solution is to keep your head in clear air, wear a fullface or at least mostly full screen helmet. And other soultion results in noise, turbulence, and a sore neck after a few hours in the saddle. I have mounted a low screen on the batwing, and the slipstream hits just below the helmet, which I have found is the best compromise. The lower fairing I have mounted along with the batwing have eliminated the dreaded updraft that results from the forward foot location, and air riding up your legs to cause turbulence. Of course, not everyone is thrilled with the final look, but it's my bike, dahmit. And its darn comfortable on 1000 mile days.

This is as amusing as watching chimps in a zoo, only without having to dodge flung poo. (Coonass)
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
kevbob
Registered Full

Yea, what's up with that damn updraft? Just started riding an 03 VRSCA with an aftermarket tall windshiled, ( on H-D brkts). and the updraft really sucks. Getting tired of riding down the interstate with my hands flat out on front of my knees. Does anyone make anu deflectors that mounnt to the frame under the air box that would block that wind? Been thinking about a way to make some. Any suggestions? Thanks.
kevbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Daniii
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbob View Post
Yea, what's up with that damn updraft? Just started riding an 03 VRSCA with an aftermarket tall windshiled, ( on H-D brkts). and the updraft really sucks. Getting tired of riding down the interstate with my hands flat out on front of my knees. Does anyone make anu deflectors that mounnt to the frame under the air box that would block that wind? Been thinking about a way to make some. Any suggestions? Thanks.
See previous post.

They really work (looks, however are in the eye of the beholder.) I tried Memphis Shade lowers, and a custom lower windscreen. Neither was really effective.

The lowers, however, along with the batwing, have eliminated the updraft.

This is as amusing as watching chimps in a zoo, only without having to dodge flung poo. (Coonass)
Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoz88 View Post
Ok, I have a 2007 dx located and am considering getting it and Road Rodding it, but have a few questions before I dump a bunch of money.

First, I am 6'3" and am a little concerned about keeping the wind off me without buffeting. I had a Road Glide and I never could get the buffeting figured out even after trying 8-9 different windshields. I only owned that bike for a year for just that reason.

Second is handlebars. Again, being taller I want the bars higher but don't want apes that stick a foot above the fairing. No offense to people that like the look, but it isn't for me. What is out there for bars that would be around the height of the top of the fairing (not the windshield)?

Third, the rear fender. I know the CV extension is functional, but has anybody used anything else? I would like to find something that looks a little less added on.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give!
Welcome! I use a klock werks 16". no buffeting. I am 6'2", but sit tall (short legs). With the DX riser, any bars HD makes fit. You will need longer cables and hoses, but they are available. Few commercial rear fenders are available. Might be a DIY thing. Depending on the bags you use, you might not need an extension. Corbin bags look fine. F bags do, too! Cyclevision bags are great, too. Have fun, and go! Joe
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
CPTJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
matt2007
Registered Full

Thumbs up

Daniii,your bike looks great to me in fact I like it better than most other Road Rods.
matt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
Daniii
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2007 View Post
Daniii,your bike looks great to me in fact I like it better than most other Road Rods.
Thanks. It is an attention getter, it seems. And it actually works.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement