Radiator grill guards - Page 56 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Classified Section > Classified - For Sale - Parts
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-19-2010, 01:25 AM   #826
Schiller59
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
eBay Grill info

FYI I would of rather gotten them from Dan!

Item 120610906257 HD Radiator grille $82.50
Murry Enterprises
www.lilemerydesigns.com
murraytim_@hotmail.com
eBay ID akashic_rec
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maggs and Rob on Harley 9 17 10 465.jpg (783.1 KB, 44 views)
D&D Fatcat 2-1 W/CFR Fueler
Powder Coated Muscle Wheels
260 Rear Metz
CNC Sidemount plate
Buckeye Fork Tube Covers
Front/Rear Axle covers and Pivot Bolt cover
Contoured Trim Visor and Zanotti Headlight
Quick release sport touring windshield
Security system
Reduced reach handle bars
Engine light kit
Radiator grill
guards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
USMC Retired
Schiller59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 AM   #827
jmrapley
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dan, how are they fitted?

Life's Too Short
jmrapley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #828
rippie74
1130cc is enuff 4 me

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeufamoz View Post
I GOT A FUNNY FEELING ABOUT THIS TOPIC...I HAVE ACTUALLY READ THE WHOLE ENTIRE POST...ALOT OF YOU GUYS HERE HAVE DONE SOME HOMEWORK CHECKING INTO THESE ALLEGATIONS AND CAME UP EMPTY HANDED. HAS ANYONE EVER GAVE IT SOME THOUGHT MAYBE HE IS EBAY...
You have 30 posts... Whoever is the eBay guy, it really doesn't matter. We aren't buying his stolen idea, ever. Now that you mention it... I wouldn't be suprised if the eBay guy was you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories

LMAO!

Iceberg Blue 8K H.I.D. Conversion
Sundowner
Fender Base Plate/Low Sissy Bar/Luggage Rack
UE Trick Tank
Keyless Ignition Upgrade
Slipper Clutch
Drilled Belt Guards
Superchicken covers
100th Anniv. Windshield
Topless
SE2 Cams
Chromex Coated CFR
Amsoil
Metzeler
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner

http://vreelandsharley.com/?page_id=674
rippie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #829
markmdz
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippie74 View Post
You have 30 posts... Whoever is the eBay guy, it really doesn't matter. We aren't buying his stolen idea, ever. Now that you mention it... I wouldn't be suprised if the eBay guy was you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories

LMAO!
Rippie,

I think you found the guy that scared Dan away. Note the last sentence on the auction "This item carries a US Patent". IMHO, you don't state something like that unless you're concerned with people "stealing" or illegally replicating (and profiting from) "their" idea. That said, if I spent the but-load of cash to get a patent on something, I could understand wanting to protect it, so I can't blame them for any scare tactics they might have employed.

I also admit those are probably worth the $100 considering the fit and finish of them, but there's absolutely nothing stopping any of us from making our own. Granted a DIY set won't be quite as clean, but it'll still look very good.

I'm happy to share how I made mine.

I'll start a thread on it as soon as I take better pics.

...but in a nut-shell, go to Home Cheapo and in the gutter section you'll find a piece of 6"x36" aluminum gutter guard. There's a slight curve to the material, but it's very soft and easy to flatten. It's aluminum, so there's no need to paint or coat it unless you really feel like it.

Remove the screw from the lower part of the radiator shroud on each side (allen head bolt). Remove side shrouds by pulling the bottom portion toward the back of the bike with a slight upward pull as well. Then you'll need to swing the brake master out of the way on the right side, and the O2 sensor plug and other wiring on the left side. This will expose 3 screws/bolts on either side (I think it's 3, but may be 2). Remove these screws and the whole rad cover slides right off the front.

Next, lay it face down on a protected surface and remove the screws holding the chrome (or black if you're rockin' an NRS/DX) bezel on.

Get yourself some thick cardstock or thin cardboard and cut a template to fit slightly loosely in the bezel. Hint: You only need to do this on one side. The other side is an exact mirror image so you can just flip the template over.

Then lay the template on the aluminum gutter guard and use a crayon or thin-tipped sharpie to trace the template on the aluminum.

Get your pair of tin-snips and snip out the shape. Take your time and don't get frustrated. You'll likely have to keep the snips handy and have to put the piece in the bezel and take it out a dozen times, snipping ever-so-slightly to get a good fit.

When you're happy with it, leave the mesh in the bezel and put everything back together just like you took it apart.

I'd be happy to scan my template and e-mail a pdf with a scale on it if anyone wants to get at least close instead of making their own template from scratch.

In total, it took me about 1.5 hrs from start to finish, which included making the template and snipping the stock to fit.

Definitely not as clean as the patented ones for $100, but I'm all-in at about $4 so I'm not going to complain. I may actually end up buying the $100 ones at some point, but I don't like to spend $$ on something unless I know I'm going to like it.

Pics:

markmdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #830
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Great post! What I did for the template was copy the picture of the ones on eBay (do it before they remove the picture after this post, LOL!) enlarge it in a copier a couple times till I got the right size putting it inside the chrome trim, cut it, mark it in the stock mesh and cut the mesh, followed by the dozen fittings described above to make them fit the best possible way. Be careful not to scratch the chrome trim in the fitting! Obviously, a pdf or copy of the actual template would be far-off better! Will try to put some pics of mine and the link where I ordered the mesh, since in my local Home Cheapo's they had none!!!

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #831
rippie74
1130cc is enuff 4 me

Rippie,

I think you found the guy that scared Dan away.

Yup all its designed to do is scare him. nothing more, nothing less. (I have attorney friends who deal with this stuff all the time)

I just wrote to him through his auction link. Here's what I said:

"$100.00 for that? It costs less than $7.00 to make them. You stole the idea from a forum member on 1130cc.com & went & put a US Patent on them? LOL.

FYI We are still making them & distributing them amongst one another. So I guess we are violating your "U.S. Patent" ehhh?. Come & file a lawsuit against us. hahahahaha"

Sundowner
UE Trick Tank
Keyless Ignition Upgrade
Slipper Clutch
Drilled Belt Guards
Superchicken covers
100th Anniv. Windshield
Topless
SE2 Cams
Chromex Coated CFR
Amsoil
Metzeler

Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #832
markmdz
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippie74 View Post
Rippie,

I think you found the guy that scared Dan away.

Yup all its designed to do is scare him. nothing more, nothing less. (I have attorney friends who deal with this stuff all the time)

I just wrote to him through his acution link. Here's what I said:

"$100.00 for that? It costs less than $7.00 to make them. You stole the idea from a forum member on 1130cc.com & went & put a US Patent on them? LOL.

FYI We are still making them & distributing them amongst one another. So I guess we are violating your "U.S. Patent" ehhh?. Come & file a lawsuit against us. hahahahaha"
Yeah, so that might be stirring a pot that doesn't need to be stirred, but to-each-his-own I guess.

The thing is, his product does go above and beyond what I did and what most of us that plan to DIY this, will do. After making my own, I can say that $100 is really not a bad deal. Think about it, it cost me less than $10 for material, but I picked it up and did not have it delivered. I spent about an hour tinkering and fighting with the material to get it to fit just right.

...and at the end of the day, I don't have nicely finished/soldered borders around mine, and do not have a chrome finish. Instead I have a snip-cut raw aluminum mesh. ...oh and that time/material doesn't take into account the epic amount of money he/she dumped into legal and patent agency fees to get the patent granted on the product.

I know I argued earlier in this thread that it was a scare tactic, but if there is an actual patent protecting that ebay product, then there could be some validity in threatening suite on someone for profiting from a design they've spent a ton of cash to protect.

I'm not trying to talk out of both sides of my mouth, but merely trying to see things from all points of view.
markmdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #833
rippie74
1130cc is enuff 4 me

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmdz View Post
Yeah, so that might be stirring a pot that doesn't need to be stirred, but to-each-his-own I guess.

The thing is, his product does go above and beyond what I did and what most of us that plan to DIY this, will do. After making my own, I can say that $100 is really not a bad deal. Think about it, it cost me less than $10 for material, but I picked it up and did not have it delivered. I spent about an hour tinkering and fighting with the material to get it to fit just right.

...and at the end of the day, I don't have nicely finished/soldered borders around mine, and do not have a chrome finish. Instead I have a snip-cut raw aluminum mesh. ...oh and that time/material doesn't take into account the epic amount of money he/she dumped into legal and patent agency fees to get the patent granted on the product.

I know I argued earlier in this thread that it was a scare tactic, but if there is an actual patent protecting that ebay product, then there could be some validity in threatening suite on someone for profiting from a design they've spent a ton of cash to protect.

I'm not trying to talk out of both sides of my mouth, but merely trying to see things from all points of view.
He's not ever gonna file suit against anyone. It's total

Sundowner
UE Trick Tank
Keyless Ignition Upgrade
Slipper Clutch
Drilled Belt Guards
Superchicken covers
100th Anniv. Windshield
Topless
SE2 Cams
Chromex Coated CFR
Amsoil
Metzeler

Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #834
mwdhand
Gone

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Deleted
Hermaphrodite 2:1 adjustable exhaust, PCIII, Works Street Trackers, Racetech fork springs and cartridge emulators, JE Illusions 300C rear fender, D headlight nacel, Joker machine mirrors, Fitzgerald 26T pulley, 260 metz, various spare parts laying around in my oil pan.
mwdhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #835
mwdhand
Gone

PS I have Dan's guards myself and they are great.
Hermaphrodite 2:1 adjustable exhaust, PCIII, Works Street Trackers, Racetech fork springs and cartridge emulators, JE Illusions 300C rear fender, D headlight nacel, Joker machine mirrors, Fitzgerald 26T pulley, 260 metz, various spare parts laying around in my oil pan.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #836
mwdhand
Gone

Unbelievably (to me anyway). V-Rod grille screens actually are patented. Wow. I'm going to patent my cock next. Ridiculous to me that a ****ing screen is innovative enough to patent. I'm pretty sure Ford model As had radiator screens.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/7422081
Old 10-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #837
rippie74
1130cc is enuff 4 me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdhand View Post
Unbelievably (to me anyway). V-Rod grille screens actually are patented. Wow. I'm going to patent my cock next. Ridiculous to me that a ****ing screen is innovative enough to patent. I'm pretty sure Ford model As had radiator screens.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/7422081
In order for a law firm to even consider going after someone for violating a patent. You have to be making a decent $ off what they hold the patent for. The offender/violator would have a business set up that distributes them on the basis of mass quantity.

Neither apply here in this case. We are talking about 1 guy in an specific forum to and exclusive motorcycle. Who was charging mostly for shipping & nowhere near $100.00 for radiator grill gaurds. For $100.00 you could pick up 10 sets of gaurds not 1, lol.

So in the end it is not worth it (financially) for the plaintiffs law firm to actually file suit against any one of us.

We are not distrubution conglomerates who reach the 4 corners of the globe.

We are not mass producing the radiator grill gaurds & making a profit.

All they'll do is spend the $ on an FED EX overnighted envelope with a letter inside from the firm saying (in fancy legal terms) stop selling "said item" or you will face legal action, blah blah blah.

It's all they'll do because its not a corporation distributing "said items" So its barely worth the letter they overnighted to "said" offender. It's a scare tactic & you can take that to the bank & cash it.

Sundowner
UE Trick Tank
Keyless Ignition Upgrade
Slipper Clutch
Drilled Belt Guards
Superchicken covers
100th Anniv. Windshield
Topless
SE2 Cams
Chromex Coated CFR
Amsoil
Metzeler

Old 10-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #838
Shaggyhou
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdhand View Post
Unbelievably (to me anyway). V-Rod grille screens actually are patented.
Actually it does not appear patented in the link you have but it has been applied for which means that it is patent pending. Which is actually worse because while it is pending then anything that is considered close enough to be a variation of the original design in form, fit or function is covered as well.... But the good news is that it was filed for in Jul 2005, if Dan were to file with proof that he has been making these prior to the original file date then he can sue them for stealing an idea and try to make profit off his intellectual property. That being said if Dan could show proof to the patent office his existed prior to Jul 2005 then the patent office would throw out the application and not grant an actual patent.

Chrome Arnotts(Talk to 02man for purchasing at best price),
Ricor 49 MM Intiminator,
Super Brace,
Engineering Artisan Forearms,
"F" wheels,
"F" Exhaust,
Chrome O-ring Footpegs and Shifter,
Sundowner Seat (Rider and Pillion)
and seat baseplate with the Smooth backrest installed.
Shaggyhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #839
mwdhand
Gone

There's a patent number shown at the top. Patent # 7422081.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #840
Shaggyhou
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Your right my bad... got into reading the meat of it and skipped the heading....

Chrome Arnotts(Talk to 02man for purchasing at best price),
Ricor 49 MM Intiminator,
Super Brace,
Engineering Artisan Forearms,
"F" wheels,
"F" Exhaust,
Chrome O-ring Footpegs and Shifter,
Sundowner Seat (Rider and Pillion)
and seat baseplate with the Smooth backrest installed.
Shaggyhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement