Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

things i need to know please

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Dr Dave 
#1 ·
i just bought a 09 Vrod NRS with a screamin eagle race tuner and a V&H 2into1 mufller , I need to know what the horse power aprox and what is the top speed the bike can reach . A freind of mine with
M109r whants to race and i dont know what the result would be ,any info of advise
Thanks

#4 ·
M109r vs VRSCAW

I have owned an 08 M109r and really liked it. Took it to the local eighth mile strips and the best time I had was 7.50 or so. I currently have an 09 vrscaw. With the front pulley a twenty six instead of the factory 28 I have had three passes in the 6.93-6.97 range and a bunch of 7.0s. The times with the factory gearing were very close to the mid sevens like the M109. The problem with these bike is the gearing and the launch. You cannot change the zuki because of the shaft and even with the 26 tooth on the vrod a little more grunt would be appreciated. Do not be afraid of losing, just have fun. I have lost a bunch of races and won a few, but I have always had fun. I probably should also state that I have never raced for money. Also for me, I am quite old (65) and if I lose, it is what everyone expected, but if I win the other guy has something to regret, being beaten by a overweight old man. With my experience, I am not a bad rider, but I am a long way from a good rider.

#6 ·
The result will be he'll still be the guy on the heavier, slower motorcycle at the finish line. Realistic top speed is probably in the neighborhood of between 138-146. I'm sure someone may claim more but the reality is that once you factor in the natural speedometer error your true top speed is in the high 130's to low 140's, which you'll never get to in 1/8th or 1/4 mile drag race without a lot of motor work. Hell, you'll be lucky to get to 3rd gear in a drag race.

#7 ·
Top speed is no more than 140 with a 28 tooth sprocket. 150 or so with the 30 and lucky to see 130 with the 26 tooth, the gearing simply dictates top end speed regardless of HP. Every sprocket change is 7% or so.
As far as the M109. It's beatable but it's all on you. HP numbers are only relative to a stock base run as all dyno's are calibrated differently and different days will produce different numbers.

#8 ·
Vambo speaks true on this.
I pulled well into redline to test top speed on a long straight. All I can say is I was over 130 mph since the speedo started going nuts at bouncing to well over 140 and then falling back into the 135 zone (before tune).
Just had my bike dyno tuned (with SE tune kit), filter and pipe - 121.8 HP. Same dyno had a 103 motor we ported, polished, swapped cams and pistons at 101 rear wheel HP.
But who knows.

#13 ·
i ride with 9s all the time... don't let up or he will catch up and say he won... on paper the nine is stronger but power to weight is in your favor... nine with a experienced rider on it is not a push over... if he gets you off the line then you will have to work hard to ketch him... have fun, and make sure the bike is up to operating temp... even if you win he will have an excuse why he didn't...

#16 ·
Wanted to tell you that yesterday i dragged raced the m109r , first time he won and then he suggested that we switch bike and then the vrod won ,,, I know that he is much pro biker than me , we changed the bikes again and we raced for a couple of times and I woooooooooooooon both times , but the problem is that I wasn't able to exceed the 200km/h the bikes shacks strongly from the front any one can tell me why

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#17 ·
#18 ·
Wanted to tell you that yesterday i dragged raced the m109r , first time he won and then he suggested that we switch bike and then the vrod won ,,, I know that he is much pro biker than me , we changed the bikes again and we raced for a couple of times and I woooooooooooooon both times , but the problem is that I wasn't able to exceed the 200km/h the bikes shacks strongly from the front any one can tell me why

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Rear wheel dynamic imbalance is the culprit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.