Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Not sure what exhaust to put on it...

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Rogyperogy 
#1 ·
Hey, I have an 03 100th anniversary model. I'm just not sure what exhaust to put on it, I've gone on YouTube but not helping to much. I liked the sound of the toxic big rig exhaust, anybody heard good things about it? Anybody got some good suggestions? Thanks

#4 ·
#5 ·
Unless, you want a really loud bike, and want to fool with tuning. The old drilling holes in the end of the exhaust pipes, gives a good sound and other than the time to drill and a can of black high temp paint to cover the area around the holes its free.

#8 ·
Pipe

My 08 was smooth but lacked a feel with the stockers, I had a Bassani and she was very nice good top end but seemed to loose mid, I went to the V&H Comp 2 and man it really woke the bike up....Best pipe in my mind. I had a 05 and did the V Mod's..it was ok but the weight etc really is the big change and the V&H is nothing in weight.

Attachments

#16 ·
My 08 was smooth but lacked a feel with the stockers, I had a Bassani and she was very nice good top end but seemed to loose mid, I went to the V&H Comp 2 and man it really woke the bike up....Best pipe in my mind. I had a 05 and did the V Mod's..it was ok but the weight etc really is the big change and the V&H is nothing in weight.
Bike looks nice with the INDY...woke my bike up also, especially the mid range. I hardly hit since I installed the arnotts air shocks.

#11 ·
My unfavourite pipe. Scrapes in every bend, and way too short. Looks nice though. I have it for shows.

Each to their own!

#10 ·
How do you use the bike?

Things good pipes do:

Save weight over stock.

That's about it - the stock pipes are fine, but very, very heavy, which upsets the handling and slows the bike down. If you want more noise, you can drill them.

Things bad pipes do:

If they were originally designed for a 45 degree V Twin (ie an airhead) and modified they will sap power.
if they are not designed at all they will sap power.
If they are too short they will sap midrange and, with the noise under your ear, deafen you.
If they hang low, they will reduce cornering clearance (already the V-Rod's main problem).

Whether you change the pipe or not, the bike would probably offer far more midrange with a tune.

My favourite pipe is the D&D Fatcat, which, with a tune, makes loads of power, and doesn't drag. But you may have views on the looks.

#14 · (Edited)
I use mine in canyons heavy My buddy with a 04 V Rod his V&H is smashed and repaired and he does not push it, He finally went to the NightRod shocks and its 90% better but I think if I pushed it it would hit. My 08 is a bit different, the headers now has a second bracket unlike his and it pulls the tail up at least pressure wise and she sits 1/4 inch above my bottom frame rail above the fuel cell, I took her 500 miles with all of Malibu canyon the Rock Store PCH then back through Bouquet etc..at least half the ride was canyons and a good pace. I did not hit a thing, Stock 08 V Rod with shocks stock but set for my weight 225 lbs...I have hit my stocker and just a tad on the Bassani...I am sure i could hit the V&H Comp pipe but I would really be pushing.....I love this pipe....I would buy again...not to say in certain off camber or decrease radious curves its not possible...I'm just saying it went through areas I normally hit and ...nothing..great sound and what a 0 to mid pull.....very happy

Attachments

#19 ·
I have the '03 anniversary and have run different pipes. By far the best pipe in my mind would have to be the v/h comp. series. Just my opinion, but i have run the stock pipes, stock pipes drilled and the 16 gauge double barrell. weight savings alone makes it great. Beware that the single wall stainless will require some up keep to keep it clean.

#21 ·
I just went through this and it was a tough decision but I ordered the V&H pipe. It was close between the bub 7 and the V&H but the bub was a bit too long. Im really not a fan of all the exhausts that kick up in the back but I understand why they do it.

I also really liked the sound of the bub jug huggers but the looks killed it. Too old school looking and the looks clashed with the looks of the bike IMO.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.