Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

running in new night rod

4K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  SDROOFER 
#1 ·
hi,just recieved a new night rod special 2012 anv ,and was woundering about best way to run in the new engine,still buzzing from getting it cheers for any info.:D

#2 ·
I just run the thing ,I never ran mine over 100 mph,crusing around 70 plus.somewhat medium acceleration,never red line it.I use mobil one,it did not like the h/d oil.Have 13000 on it now.
Now I drive it like I stole it.still on the Michellin tires,but rear is about ready to change,I fugure I may get another 1000 out of it.

#5 ·
Very the throttle a lot, no long steady cruises for the first few hundred k. I can't find it but there is a thread about breakin, check the search function.
And welcome to the party
I would think the first few hundred miles would be plenty. There are a few here approaching 200k total, but to "break-in" that long seems a bit excessive. :stilpoke:

#6 ·
Welcome!

#9 ·
This is what I did with my 2012........and it runs STRONG now.

#8 ·
Lots of argument about this over the years. I would run it hard from new, lots of rev and decel, no constant speeds, and plenty of rests. That beds the bores in before they harden.

If you have already run it gently for fifty miles or more, then you are too late - keep running it in gently.

Gentle run in means, as above, no fixed revs, but also no wide throttle openings.

They tend to use a bit of oil, which is annoying and unpredictable. Revving the nuts off them for the first fifty miles probably stops them doing that - but no biggie. They settle down after 10K anyway.

#19 ·
Had mine at the drag strip with 400 miles on it. Aside from issues with the Tmax that i now use as a wheel chock for my trailer.....running a SERT now and Dynod at 125hp and 89 torque it runs like a rocket ship. Break it in fast and it will be fast has been my motto....to each his own:) enjoy

#20 ·
blessed are the meak

took it for a spin today to squires cafe ,sherburn in elmet,england,was running sweet and it caused a stir when i was there everyone wanting to know what it was cause they had not seen one before.a harley with no chrome and a 130 bhp,lets hope they dont get to popular ha ha ha.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.