Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Which way should I go? SE CVO or Muscle?

4K views 57 replies 16 participants last post by  Lady F 
#1 ·
Which way should I go?

I ride a ‘1100 Sabre’ and Love it. Last spring I started working at a Harley Dealership … after working there a year we get a great deal on any new bike.

We got a used SE V-Rod in that I really like. But I can get a brand new Muscle for probably the same money.

I get attached to my mikes so I really want to be sure I do make the right choice when it comes to picking a bike. It may be my last one.

I plan to bag either bike. The Screaming Eagle would only need to have the bags I already own painted to match (along with my helmet). There’s more than enough chrome on her the way she is. If I go with the Muscle I want the long stretched bags (because they look best with the split pipes) So that said I’d need to change out the pipes, buy bags, and extensions, then pay to have a custom rear fender made.

I keep bouncing back and forth between the two bikes. I just can’t make up my mind. The SE would be far less work, but she would not be as custom as the Muscle.

Any thoughts from members here?

See less See more
#5 ·
If I were in your position, I'd go with the Muscle. Mainly because I like the factory bags for it. Additionally it'd be "new". There's nothing wrong with the Screaming Eagle V Rods,but they are not what I'd turn into a bagger.

But then again I'm 61 & ride an "R" ...:D

#7 ·
that's a nice ride ! PM sent..

#11 ·
#12 ·
Dang thought that the bike in the photo I posted was for sale and in Ohio ... I was going to call ion it NOW but I'm not diggen the V-Rod as much as the look of the Muscle ... I like the boxie look better then the smooth lines. I've been told the Road Glide front end is a 5k add-on.

#13 ·
Dang so it looks like the Road Rod's are few and far between ... I thought I'd Google to see if there were any for sale ... any place ... can't find one for sale!! If at any time a member here knows of anyone selling one ... then again I guess if someone goes to the extreme of making one of them they will keep them forever, like I plan. Guess I just have to start looking for people who can help guide me along the path of Mod's so I can get what I want. I guess if it were easy they would all over the place and I'd be looking for something else.:alien: LOL

#14 ·
#16 ·
" I live to serve ........":angeldev:

#21 ·
I think it might be a smart move but can't miss what you've never had before ... anyone out there wana share their Humble Opinions on ABS???

I seem to remember reading that the blue was the rarest of the colors for the Screaming Eagle model. Be a shame to paint that frame black.

Go with the "F", you know you want to. :D
Didn't know that ... hummm ... thanks!

#20 ·
I seem to remember reading that the blue was the rarest of the colors for the Screaming Eagle model. Be a shame to paint that frame black.

Go with the "F", you know you want to.

edit: I reread your first post, I thought you intended to paint the SE a different color. I see now that you meant you'd only need to paint bags & helmet.

I hereby exercise my right as a human to change my mind, Go with less costly & shiny;there are enough black V Rods in the world.

#27 ·
I seem to remember reading that the blue was the rarest of the colors for the Screaming Eagle model...
There WERE exactly 800 made of each color in 2005 for the VRSCSE. The colors are teal, orange, and burgundy.

There WERE exactly 800 made of each color in 2006 for the VRSCSE2. The colors are red, orange, and yellow.

#22 ·
see above ^ advice changed.

#32 ·
OK so Hubby wants me to get info from here ... any gear heads in this group want to give me the info on any differences in the engines? I realize that seating is different, but also know that can be tweaked to fit. And also would like someone who has ridden both give me their views on ABS vs no ABS

#33 ·
Both models have 1250cc motors,any difference would likely be insignificant between the two. The '05 VRSCSE has the smaller gas tank and a 180 rear tire.Both the gas tank & rear wheel can be modded to change that.

ABS is considered by most to be a good thing,but IMO not a deal breaker .

#35 ·
Based on the picture of Qman's bike, the shape of the F's tank, seat and radiator cover make the better looking touring biker.

#37 · (Edited)
Imo

While we wait in suspense for you to choose I'll throw in my uninformed opinion.
It was the beauty of the V Rod that first caught my eye, and You would look stunning on that SE. My bias extends to the 180 rear as well.(I run a CR) Handling is paramount to me and the sharper turn in of the narrower tire trumps the better looking heavy rear.
A picture of you on that shiny '05 will brighten this sight considerably.

#39 ·
While we wait in suspense for you to choose I'll throw in my uninformed opinion.
It was the beauty of the V Rod that first caught my eye, and You would look stunning on that SE. My bias extends to the 180 rear as well.(I run a CR) Handling is paramount to me and the sharper turn in of the narrower tire trumps the better looking heavy rear.
A picture of you on that shiny '05 will brighten this sight considerably.
Why thank you for the ego fluff ... and I came to this place to get opinions so thank you very much for yours. I know I will love whatever bike I get. They each have things that draw me to them. It may come down to $$$ in the end. The mods to the SE would be soooo much less. But the look of the Muscle is so tuff to beat ... I'll know one way or another by spring. And at this time it may come down to 'if the SE sells over the winter to someone else, I get the Muscle'

#41 ·
What a great idea Red ... sadly I have to work :( But thanks sooo much for the offer. My real Horses do not have much of a winter coat so I'm thinking this winter may be like last years. If that is the case I think we will have good riding weather at least one day a week :) Maybe we can plan something and I can buy lunch.

#45 ·
Good for you,when's delivery ?

#47 ·
Congrats on ordering your bike. In my head ABS is the only reason to make this lateral move. Your 1100 Sabre is the performance equivalent of the VROD.

#48 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.