Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

v-rod cruise controls

20K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  comatzd 
#1 ·
Has any one put a mechanical or other type of cruise control on there bike?
i have a 2006 screaming eagle. Right now I am looking at a product by Brakeaway which is mechanical. Thanks for any info you have.

#2 ·
It looks like it might do the trick, but man....over $200! I've been wanting to get one, but I don't know if I need one that bad. It seems like there has to be a more economical option out there. You do have to give the website though....using the v-rod as an example for Harleys.

#3 ·
I got a plastic "thing" that goes over the wheel on the bottom of the switch housing. Push it forward and it holds the throttle in position, but the throttle can be manually moved when necessary. Pull it back and the throttle closes normally. I think it cost $8.00 maybe less. Got it at my HD store, not a Harley part however.

#4 ·
Brakeaway is good sh!t

The Brakeaway is a very nice quality product, I installed it on a friend's Dyna, he has been very happy with it. Easy pushbutton action to engage, easy to disengage, and you can adjust the throttle when the cruise control is engaged.

The safety feature is important: when you touch the brake, i releases. You do NOT wanna fiddle with your cruise control when something unexpected pops up while cruising. I am in no way affiliated with brakeaway, but I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone wanting a safe quality cruise control setup for their bike.

#8 ·
I have H-D kit 77183-02 for FLHR and FLHRI (Road King) installed and fully operational on my VRSCX.
Myself and Dpierce02 tried to get one for a 04 FLHT working but were unsuccessful. He bought it on E-Bay so we are not sure if the unit was good or not.

The difference between the two according to electrical schematics was the tap point for the Speed sensor.

I doubt any kit that is to install on a throttle by wire bike (77196-08) will work since this would require some programming changes somewhere (ECM maybe). The Road King kit is fully self contained and does not depend on anything from the bike except power, ground, rpm and speed sensors. It's a mechanical attachment to the throttle body.
From what I have seen of these '08 kits is you change out the handle bar controls and that is it. Everything else that is needed is already there on the bikes so equipped with Throttle by wire.

#15 ·
That's what I have. It works great, but it's not a cruise control, its a very handy throttle lock. I find I wouldn' tuse the cruise much if I had it. Its too much fun to scoot around traffic.

#12 ·
RustyG, how much did that setup run you, and was it much of a hassle to get it installed?

#13 ·
cruise control

I saw rustyg's setup. He mounted the main control box on the belt side cover above the front sprocket. Due to the size of the unit and the necessity of the cables to be straight, not much option on where to mount it on our bikes. Even if the cables were to be shortened, this system does not deal well with sharp bends. Love the idea but cant imagine leaving that honking box on the side like that.

#17 ·
Wow, my compliments on ambarking upon and succeding here! Is there any reason why you would choose not to locate this under the air filter box? Turbo perhaps?

Admins reading this; I propose to add RustyG's setup as a Sticky somewhere appropriate, the issue of cruise controls seem to pop up at least a couple of times every riding season.

#18 ·
cruis control placement

i can tell you rustyg does not have a turbo. i think the main reason is that those cables do not like to bend around corners well. In trying to place it in the airbox, rustyg mentioned to me that the cable bend would probably be too severe and hamper its operational besides the cables themselves are quite long to begin with (although i bet they could be shorted(.

my 2 cents but i agree if that box can be hidden somehow it would one helluva setup!!

#21 ·
I need to mention, The cruise module needs input from the Speed sensor. My original attempt to tap off the speed sensor itself failed. The R.K. hookup tapped off the output of the speedometer so I tapped off the VSS output of my instrument cluster. This worked.

NOW THE POTENTIAL PROBLEM. I do not have stock gauges on my bike. I run with Dakota Digital gauges. Both D.D. and the stock gauges have a pin 8 called "VSS out" which is what I am using successfully with my gauges. I do not know if the stock gauges and the D.D. gauges output the same information. The D.D gauges do not understand the V-Rod only traditional bikes such as H-D Suzuki, KAW's etc.

The unit Dpierce02 and I tried to implement did actually tap directly from the speed sensor not the Speedo output "VSS Out". We were unable to get either module to work using direct speed sensor output.

#22 ·
Occam's razor

I merely removed my throttle spring. The throttle not only became much, much smoother, I can remove my hand from the throttle with just a very minimal amount of drag on the throttle lock.

I appreciate what Rusty G has done too. What a monumental effort on his part to be able to relax! But, If I want cruise control, I want a touring bike to put it on.

You guys are trying too hard. Just remove your throttle spring and enjoy.

#29 ·
ya and NOW i see this post, sigh.
Picked up the breakaway the other day and went to put it on last night, sadly the 'harley' packaging includes the same large pin. I would rather not drill out the hole, other suggestions?

I have emailed Breakaway Products to see if they can send me a proper sized pin, but i dont expect much of a reply.

#28 ·
I'll probably get the Breakaway myself, the advantages of a small mechanical thingie outweighs the visible wiring for my preferences. But come on, saying you use your thumbwheel as a cruise control is a bit like saying you use your pedalbike as a motorcycle.

#30 ·
How wide/thick is this unit? I mean, how much grip area is claimed by the mechanism?

I had another throttle lock unit in the past but it moved my hand far enough out that my brake lever felt weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.