Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

front forks rebuild

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  morsey2 
#1 ·
I need to rebuild the forks on my 2006 street rod.
what special tool will need or what can I use in place of them?

#4 ·
Im guess that would be me.

Link in Signature

#6 ·
The OP asked about rebuilding the inverted forks on a '06 "R".

Rod's videos are for the conventional telescopic forks.

I've got to agree with the second post,get a copy of the service manual. It lists the procedure & the tools needed.

#7 ·
We did Docs to...

#8 ·
I knew you did the fall away & the stem nut upgrade on Doc's bike,I didn't realize you disassembled the forks on it.

#9 ·
Oh yeah we looked in the manual.

I stand to be corrected.

The internal bushing and seals are the same set up.
The cap and spring are different.

Still should be no problem

Slow as you go and it can be done.

The video will help a little

I did this all by myself more then once. Never had any issues.

Good Luck!

#10 ·
And the internals are different from one side to the other on the inverted fork,left side has cartridge & the right has the dampening mechanism. Fluid levels differ also from one leg to the other.

Still if The OP takes care,follows the manual & the some parts of the video it shouldn't require a degree to do.

I imagine the fork tube holder could be made if needed,not certain about the other "Special tools'' listed.

#13 ·
I have the service manual. The left fork is leaking that is the reason for the rebuild.
I have rebuilt standard forks, but not cartridge forks.
The tool I'm most concerned is the "internal fork nut remover / installer tool". Which
is in the right fork.
Most of the other tools I have already have made. But the internal nut remover may
be hard to make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.