Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Would You Buy Another Harley (other than a V-Rod)?

28K views 415 replies 120 participants last post by  T-Rod45 
#1 ·
I've ridden all the other model Harley's and would not buy any of them. Am I alone here? Compared to the competition they seemed to me to be a big disappointment. Braking, performance, lean angle, fit/finish, etc., all seemed a bit below average compared to what's out there. I think Harley has turned into more of a marketing machine than a well engineered product. OK, they do look good.

:soapbox:

I'm done now.

#104 ·
^ The 48 looks cool but that's where it stops for me. It's uncomfortable unless you're little, average brakes, does the Harley Shake at idle, 5 speed tranny, 2.1 gal. tank (HUH!) - well that's enough said. Just nothin there but looks - except nostalgia, gotta pay a price for that - I guess??

#105 ·
The shame about bikes like the 48, Nightster, etc, is that a Sportster can be a really fun bike, but HD takes all the riding fun out of their bikes to get a certain look. Something like a Sportster Super Low with the same style of wheels but the front adapted for dual front discs, and a taller suspension would be a nice all around bike. Oh yeah, don't be afraid to put a decent seat on the thing. More padding allows more saddle time and doesn't cramp the knees so much.

#118 ·
DST^

Can't say I disagree, except for the poor handling. My '07 AW seems to handle as well as the other cruisers I test rode. The ride wasn't as smooth as some, so I replaced the suspension and was pleasantly surprised. Now if I can get rid of the heat radiating on my right leg from that rediculous rear pipe that comes forward and makes it 16 inches longer than the front pipe (no reason for it other than looks - UHG!) -

THX for clarifying.

#121 ·
Interesting DST. The only problems I had with mine are the normal, well known problems with steering head adjustment, cured finally with a steel steering stem, and dodgy fuel level senders, also finally cured with their latest sender. Aside from that I have had two occasions where wired rubbed and shorted, and a couple of fork problems that aren't Harley's fault, even though they warrantied them. Our streets are so poorly paved I have damaged shocks and forks on both my daily rider R and my tried and true BMW K bike. The damping rod screws came loose from the Beemer's lower legs (good thing I don't do wheelies!) and the lower leg casting started to work loose and leak on the R. HD covered a subsequent blown fork seal. Good service if you ask me. Have blown the shocks on both bikes too, the streets are nothing more than asphalt moto cross.

My trusty old 1984 BMW had problems with exhaust shields rattling off, instruments that were intermittant at best, and a noisy fuel return line check valve. They also had a run of bad fuel filters that would fracture, resulting in low fuel pressure and lousy performance (the visual clue was the jacuzzi in the gas tank!). Over time BMW sorted through these problems and found ways to cure them. Many riders wrote those early K bikes off much as you have written off your V-Rod. I kept mine and do not regret it for a second. It rolled 290,000 miles two weeks ago. It has never once stranded me on the road, and it has taken me across 18 states and 11 foreign countries. I expect similar service from the R. The actual hard parts, the engine and chassis of both bikes are seriously over built, and the German metallurgy in both bikes means they won't wear out quickly at all.

#140 ·
Would one not consider a Fat Boy to be one of the Softail family? Or and XR-1200 to be a member of the Sportster family along with the Super Low and Iron? Of course they are. Same for the R being one of several models of the V Rod. It's about as idiotic as saying a Night Rod is not a V Rod. Night Rod, Street Rod, Muscle, A, B, X, SE, all are V Rods.

#142 ·
1) yes because its not a hardtail. Vague.
2) Did you call Buells Sportsters when they had Sportie motors in it?
3) What Sportie besides the XE-1200 which I never hear refereed to as a Sportster by those who own them or write about them, they say "It has a Tweaked Sportie Motor" is anything.
4) Original Night Rod had Mid Controls and a shorter rake, could be considered a different vehicle, perhaps thats why HD called it a Night Rod instead of just a "A" "B" etc...

5) HD Changed the "Look" of the Vrod line with the "AW", Then the Night Rod Special which wasnt as big a difference then the "AW" as the original "D" was to the "A".
So you have a Street Rod. I am Pretty sure I have a Vrod as there is a 52min. docudrama made about it where all the big wigs at HD keep calling it that, wish it was called something else as Vrod is one of the more Imbecile type words I have heard.

You will call anything with a Revo motor in it a Vrod I guess, I also assume there are more of You out there then me and since the VROD has such a Bad name in HD communities (Hence why there is no more A, B etc... and now Muscle and other) I can see why they havent made a "Vrod Bagger" yet. I mean there are all those Fat Boy Low Baggers from Factory and Night Trains Baggers etc...

#145 ·
4) Original Night Rod had Mid Controls and a shorter rake, could be considered a different vehicle, perhaps thats why HD called it a Night Rod instead of just a "A" "B" etc...

5) HD Changed the "Look" of the Vrod line with the "AW", Then the Night Rod Special which wasnt as big a difference then the "AW" as the original "D" was to the "A".
So you have a Street Rod. I am Pretty sure I have a Vrod as there is a 52min. docudrama made about it where all the big wigs at HD keep calling it that, wish it was called something else as Vrod is one of the more Imbecile type words I have heard.

You will call anything with a Revo motor in it a Vrod I guess, I also assume there are more of You out there then me and since the VROD has such a Bad name in HD communities (Hence why there is no more A, B etc... and now Muscle and other) I can see why they havent made a "Vrod Bagger" yet. I mean there are all those Fat Boy Low Baggers from Factory and Night Trains Baggers etc...
Would you like your blankie now so you can take your nap?

You sound like a 2 year old throwing his little tantrum with this tired old satire of how only you and a few others own "VRODS" everything else is a Revo powered bike.

You might as well join the local HOG club because you sound like 90% of the members. HOG bashes anything not Big Twin, LUX-HOG bashes anything not a 2002-2003 VRSC.

#146 ·
Would you like your blankie now so you can take your nap?

You sound like a 2 year old throwing his little tantrum with this tired old satire of how only you and a few others own "VRODS" everything else is a Revo powered bike.

You might as well join the local HOG club because you sound like 90% of the members. HOG bashes anything not Big Twin, LUX-HOG bashes anything not a 2002-2003 VRSC.
What the hell are you talking about?
Reading comprehension is quite poor on this site, 1st of all I was answering the question posed to me, 2nd I have not said anything along the lines of what the HD lunkheads do such as "they are terrible" or "not real Harley's" etc..,
Sell the Blankie and take the money for some reading comprehension classes at your local college and stop being a fussy little Harley stooge.

#143 ·
If you can't beat em - join em:

To me Harley has the most rediculous naming system of any motorcycle company in existance.

DYNA Glide
FX: Superglide, Kick start
FXB: Sturgis Belt (80,81&82)
FXD: Dyna Super Glide
FXDB: Street Bob (Sturgis 1991)
FXDC: Dyna Super Glide Custom
FXDG: Dyna Glide/Sturgis
FXDL: Dyna Low Rider
FXDS-CON: Dyna Convertible
FXDWG: Dyna Wide Glide
FXDX: Dyna Super Glide Sport
FXDXT: Super Glide T-Sport
FXE: Superglide Electric Start
FXDF: Fatbob
FXLR: FX Lower Rider/Evolution
FXR: Rubber Mount Super Glide
FXRDG - Disc Glide
FXRP - Police or pursuit - Defender
FXRS: FXR Sport
FXRS-CON: FXR Sport Convertible
FXRS-SP: Low Rider Sport Edition
FXRT: FXR Touring
FXS: Low Rider/Shovelhead
FXSB: Low Rider Belt

Softail
FXCW: Rocker
FXCWC : Rocker C
FXST: Softail Standard
FXSTB: Night Train
FXSTBI: Night Train EFI
FXSTC: Softail Custom
FXSTD: Softail Deuce
FXSTS: Springer Softail
FXWG: Wide Glide
FLST: Heritage Softail
FLSTC: Heritage Classic
FLSTF: Fat Boy
FLSTFI: 15th anniversary Fat Boy
FLSTN: Nostalgia and 2005 Softail Deluxe
FLSTS: Heritage Springer
FLSTSB: Cross Bones
FLSTSC: Springer Softail Classic

Touring
FL: 4-Speed Dresser
FLH: 4-Speed Electra Glide
FLHX: Street Glide
FLHRS: Road King Custom
FLHPI: Road King police model
FLHR: Road King
FLHRCI: Road King Classic
FLHS: Electra Glide Sport
FLHT: Electra Glide Standard
FLHTC: Electra Glide Classic
FLHTK: Limited
FLHTCSE: Screamin Eagle Electra Glide
FLHTPI: Electra glide police model
FLHTCUI: Ultra Classic Electra Glide
FLHTCUSE: Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
FLHXXX: Street Glide Trike
FLT: Rubber Mount Dresser
FLTC: Rubber Mount Dresser Classic
FLTCU: Rubber Mount Dresser Classic Ultra
FLHTCUTG: Tri Glide
FLTR: Road Glide
FLTRI: Road Glide EFI
FLTRX: Road Glide Custom
FLTRSEI: Screamin Eagle Road Glide

VRSC: (V-TWIN Racing Street Custom)
VRSC: CVO: 1250cc adds 14 percent more displacement and only 9 pounds than the standard VRSCA: 1st model of the V-ROD family.
VRSCB: Same as VRSCA except: Adjustable tubular handlebars, minimalist instrumentation, black painted frame, calipers, hand controls, shock springs and engine highlights.
VRSCF: Muscle
VRSCD: Night Rod
VRSCDX: Night Rod Special
VRSCR: Roadster-inspired street rod.

Sportsters:
XL: Sportster 883
XL883: Sportster Hugger
XL883C: Sportster 883 Custom
XL 883L: Sportster (specifically designed to fit smaller riders)
XL883R: Dirt track-inspired
XL1100: Sportster 1100
XL1200: Sportster 1200
XL1200C: Sportster 1200 Custom
XL1200R: 1200 Roadster
XL1200S: Sportster 1200 Sport
XLCH: 4-Speed Sportster, Kick start
XLCR: Cafe Racer 1000
XLH: Sportster 883
XLH883: Sportster 883 Hugger
XLH883R: Sportster 883R
XLH1200: 1200
XLH1200S: Sport
XLS: 4-Speed Sportster Roadster
XLX: 4-Speed 1000cc Ironhead
XR1000: XLH with XLR Heads

Harley, give me a break - PLEASE. :wazzup:

#154 ·
I think I would like a touring bike one day when I'm a bit older but beyond that nope, wouldn't want any other harley than my vsrcd. I however would love a lighter sport bike some time in the future as I am more into twisties than straights. Maybe a speed tripple or a buell 1125cr (minus that heinous exhaust). I'm not a huge fan of all show no go/all bark no bite that all other stock HD's have... ;)

#156 ·
Likewise i would take a wide glide with the 120r. If you have ever hopped off your Vrod and directly onto an aircooled Harley thats basically stock its almost comical. I don't think there is a warranty with the 120r though. Now why would that be?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.