Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Street Rod Steering Stabilizer ?

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  mikeinatlanta 
#1 ·
Has anybody come up with a steering stabilizer set up for the R ? LateR

#2 ·
I don't see why you would want to do that, even with a reduced rake angle for the R, this bike is not subject to tank slapping.. Never heard of it anyways.

Is that for drag racing? In that case I don't know the first thing about it :)

#3 ·
Your'e right, was getting a high speed wobble, but just went to a cartrige set up in forks. Havn't been over a 100mph but feels rock solid. Forks have a lot to do with that wobble. Never been over 120 always had to back off , every little bit helps when you start hitting high speeds though. I know you can get a set up for the standard VRod but not for the inverted forks. LateR

#5 ·
If you are getting a wobble with an 'R', then something on your bike isn't set up right. Loose steering head, bad tire or tires, loose swingarm, or bad cartridge setup could all be causes, because this bike couldn't speed wobble if it tried when set up correctly. The geometry wouldn't let it. I would check all those things for sure, because something is out of adjustment if you are getting speed wobbles.

#4 ·
Every once in a while, while slowing (engine braking) through 30 MPH, there will be a very mild wobble, but it's really only noticeable if I have taken my hands off the grips (I KNOW).

My mid-80s Moto Morini 500 Sport did need the stabilizer, as, I hear, do the older 750 and 900 Ducati Monsters. My M1000S has never given me any reason to consider one, and neither has my 'R.

Save your money for something more useful on the bike, booze, or women.

#7 ·
I have pegged mine right at 138 mph, and it was rock solid at that speed. Agree with the others, somehing is a bit out of adjustment. ...

#8 ·
I am betting loose head bearings, aggravated by a worn and/or under inflated front tire. With steering head bearings in good condition and properly pre-loaded and serviceable front rubber, an R should be dead stable right up to red line in the big hole. If it is not, you have a mechanical proble.
A steering stabilizer is only needed when the bike has so little trail you can get into situations where the bike runs out of enough trail (compressed front end during braking on a race track for example, or high speed cornering that compresses the fork) to keep the front end from wobbling, especially on short wheelbase bikes like sport bikes. Trail slows a bikes steering down, so most modern sport bikes use the bare minimum. Smaller front wheels also reduce trail. The R has enough trail and wheelbase plus a gynormous 19 inch front hoop to make this a non problem.
One of my R's runs an 18 inch front wheel and is raised in the rear, both reducing rake and trail. If an R should wobble, mine should, but it does not. It just f-in rails! These bikes were originally speced for a 17 inch front wheel according to the platform manager (Willy G. had a different idea), so there is ample trail stock.

#10 ·
You guys are right. If you can see on my avatar I'm running a sport fairing and luggage. The fairing definitely affects the handling at high speeds , along with weak forks, worn tires etc. Had that front end clunk when you hit a bump, but since fork and brake upgrade haven't know-est. Ask HD shop to check steering bearings when they pulled forks, but I doubt if they did. Didn't learn about that Steering nut service bulletin till after from you guys. If there's a future problem, that's the culprit.
Keep it safe LateR

#11 ·
Mine is set up about the same as yours, Joe. I even finagled hard luggage on it, and boy are the brackets heavy. Still, if the steering head bearings are in good condition and you have decent rubber on it, there should be no instability. However, I vividly recall how loosy-goosey the bike was when the head bearings were loose.
I think you will be money ahead to inspect and adjust/repair as necessary your steering head bearings.

#19 ·
Been putting Nitrous on the Motus. With zero strip suspension or tire setup, all luggage installed, and no nitrous I'm hitting 132mph in the 1/4, but with a sucky driver 11.0 time. Building some wheelie bars before I hit the button though. Already can't keep the front down in 3rd gear but only hit 4th in the 1/4. All done fully loaded with luggage of course. Plan is to hit 175-180 in the standing mile, a high nine in the 1/4 and retire the carbon bike as the official baddest sport touring bike in history. Already bought another MSTR and have it tracked prepped for normal weekend fun.

And of course I still have my R. I love that bike.

#20 ·
You're a wild man Mike ! Love those Motus' so sad they shut down the Co. what a great American M/C - that performance is amazing you need to hit 200+ Mph top speed as well for a cap on your records - I'll jump over to the Motus website and check it out haven't been there in a while - glad you still love the R that's saying something after flogging your Motus like you have ! (y) :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.