Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Sold the v-rod and got a cheap Ducati...

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  R0me0 
#1 ·
Not that I wanted to sell the v-rod. I have a deep love the original anodized models and hope someday I can get another. Finances forced the sale in July 2011. I thought I could live without a bike, but my friends at work were buying inexpensive bikes and fixing them up, so I found a used '04 Ducati Monster 620 a few months ago and fixed it up the way I wanted, all for under 3K. It actually sounds very similar to the v-rod with the modded pipes. It feels quicker, and at 366 lbs, even with this little motor... I guess that makes sense.

See less See more
#4 ·
Rationally, it's a better bike anyway.

#6 ·
Cha-cha-ching-ding-sha-shu-ching, Ducati dry clutch sound is way different then my Vrod sewing machine sound.

#7 ·
These have the wet clutch, so you do hear more of the twin sound. The half the motor missing, is actually an 'L' shaped twin, so imagine the V rotated 90 degrees. The motor is not much to look at IMO, so that is why I painted it matte black, but these are pretty simple aircooled engine. Small bike compared to the v-rod (and the v-rod gets razzed for being small?!!) The riding position is going to be very different and probably too cramped for most v-rod riders. I got used to it, and quite like it except I need to extend the pegs another inch or so. It is remarkably more manageable in the twisties of course.

Vambo - yes it does. That part is more important than I imagined. Hearing a bike rumbling down the street outside the house was like a siren song. It was nice to get on a bike again.

#9 ·
Good luck with the new ride at a great price!

T.The riding position is going to be very different and probably too cramped for most v-rod riders. I got used to it, and quite like it except I need to extend the pegs another inch or so. It is remarkably more manageable in the twisties of course.
What is cramped about the ergonomic triangle, is it seat to close to the foot controls?

#11 ·
Luxlamf...I knew you weren't too insanely jealous of the bags and shield, but at least you were on board with the anodized.

The bags were pretty useful - one for the gym, the other with my work stuff. The shield was useless, actually probably worse than useless. The gentleman that bought it was a farmer from Southern Utah in his 60's so maybe that speaks to the aesthetic I had achieved :)

I now sport a Ogio no-drag backpack - cram all my stuff in there. It works ok. No need for a shield. The air holds me up nicely on the interstate - though I do not really enjoy interstate riding (on either bike).

And for your viewing pleasure - here is my first love in all her chrome, anodized and bagged/shielded glory:

#14 ·
I now sport a Ogio no-drag backpack - cram all my stuff in there. It works ok. No need for a shield. The air holds me up nicely on the interstate - though I do not really enjoy interstate riding (on either bike).
See that, the Big Fat HD made you Lazy and now the streamlined Italian masterpiece is not only taking you places in style but loading all your stuff on your back helps with the work out and keeps you fit. Win Win all around. Congrats from going from Shiny bits for no reason to bare bones style.

#16 ·
Nice bike at a very nice price!

A little off topic - My bike came with the same windshield as yours and I never put it on until yesterday (it's gettin cold in St. Louis). it looks like you put the mounts on the handlebars with the attachment bolt holes on the underside of the bar, and I put mine on top. Do you know what's the right way (did the dealer put yours on)? It seems to fit Ok, just curious. THX

#19 ·
At least you are riding,thats all that counts,ehh?? Think I'd go nutz without ANY bike!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.