Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Dunlop vs Metzeler Vrod tires

24K views 63 replies 47 participants last post by  MrTaz 
#1 ·
For those of you who have tried these tires, is there much difference in preformance, handling ,mileage and tread wear.
I have between 8 and 9 K on my rod and had to replace the stock Dunlop two times due to punctures. The first at 2500 and second at 6500. At about $195 per tire plus installation it's quite and expense. Local dealer price the Metzeler's at about 40 to 50 dollars more, but if one gets some improvements might go that route next time. Also are there other brand names tires available for the rods other than the two mentioned above, and what are your comments on these. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
I don't know how well the metz would resist punctures compared to the Dunlo(pos) but the metz handle much better and I am hoping to get more miles than the 3200 I got with the stock tires.

#4 ·
VRODpgs said:
For those of you who have tried these tires, is there much difference in preformance, handling ,mileage and tread wear.
I have between 8 and 9 K on my rod and had to replace the stock Dunlop two times due to punctures. The first at 2500 and second at 6500. At about $195 per tire plus installation it's quite and expense. Local dealer price the Metzeler's at about 40 to 50 dollars more, but if one gets some improvements might go that route next time. Also are there other brand names tires available for the rods other than the two mentioned above, and what are your comments on these. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

I will chime in here if I may. I had Michelins on my R12c, at right under 7k, they needed replacement. I went to Metz's Marathon 880's. Night and day difference in all aspects especially wet weather riding. I have had Metz's on 3 bikes, excellent tire, long lasting (they still look brand new with over 2k on them) great handling in both wet and dry conditions. I also hear that Avon Venoms will be a good choice for our rods. Have almost 1.5k on my Dunlops now and when it is time for replacement, I will be looking at either Metz's or Avons.

#5 ·
hoping to get more miles than the 3200 I got with the stock tires.
Wow - I'm at 8500mi on the original tires with plenty of wear left...

#6 ·
Dunlop D208 tires are much better than the stock D207. They have much better grip and corner handling but they still kind of stink in the rain. If you replace the tires with Dunlop OE, go for the D208. The ME880 are awsome. They are very sticky and have good wet weather traction, but they have a short tread life. (Dunlop D207 will last the longest). The Dunlop tires are more suited for sportbikes. They have higher speed ratings and are more resistant to heat. Sportbikes handle a lot differant than a V-Rod and get the outer edges of the tire really hot on a track. For that kid of riding (think Moto GP) the Dunlops are the best. But for performance on a V-Rod, go with a Metzler ME880.

Dunlop also has a new tire out made specifically for the 2006 SE. I'm wondering if anyone has a review of it?

#8 ·
I recently went from my (mostly corded) stock dunlop to an ME880 (200 size). The ride is better, the wet weather handling is better, but the bike does turn in a bit slower than it did with the stock dunlop. I'm not sure if it's due to the slightly bigger size or the tire, but it's a data point for you.

#9 ·
Phreak said:
Wow - I'm at 8500mi on the original tires with plenty of wear left...
I did have plenty of tread left also. It's just that the front tire cupped so badly that a replacement was required. My bike felt like I was skating around every corner and the front end felt like it fell into every slow turn. I am sure if you switched to the Metz, you would notice an improvement, even if you have no complaints with the stock tires.

#11 ·
Dunjunk

I recently had the same problem of cupping with plenty of tread left. Contacted my Harley dealer and they told me they had never seen this. Go figure their service dept doesnt do service they charge for. Sent DUNJUNK a letter and never did get a response. They are owned by GOODYEAR. I can tell you from past experience of goodyear. They will never admit to a problem. Any way switched to Metzler and love them. Rode in the rain recently and was 100 times better then DUNJUNK. Will never go back. Their tire grips the road better peroid. Good Luck

#12 ·
Having the same problem with my front Dunlop. It's cupping but not yet enough for replacement. I have a lot of tread left on it, too.

#14 ·
Nope... always have run 38PSI. The problem is it's a Dunlop. Thanks, though.

#15 ·
$211.88 for both Metz, stock sizes

have never pushed either tire hard, dunlops or metz, so can't really speak on performance- can't tell the difference around town.

but got the metz based on wide praise on the forum for them. Paid $211.88, including tax, for both the front and back tires from local Yamaha dealer, R&S Yamaha in Albuquerque.

#16 ·
Changed my dunlaps out at 2500miles to Metz 880s and noticed immediately more stability on the freeway, nicer ride everywhere, a bit of a drag on the back end at first but got used to it..

#17 ·
Keep in mind that any new tire will feel unbelievabley better than any worn tire you are replacing. Dont let new mean better. Always a night and day difference so you'd probably be impressed with a cheng shin brand new vs old stock. I ride pretty hard and feel the dunlop holds pretty good on dry clean roads. I drag pipes,pegs, frame... and never slide too much. Stock tires feel a little slick on damp and dirty but for socal the stockers are ok by me and I would like to get some mileage out of them. More sticky=less life. I have never accidentally broke my tire loose on acceleration. For the kind of bike the rod is I think stock is pretty good for me. :2cents:

#18 ·
I know what you mean about new tires but I got the bike with only 1500miles on those dunlaps..thats pretty new don't ya think?? the dealer said the same thing about that but I'd think after only 1500miles on a stock tire it should handle pretty good...they were pretty crappy on the freeways. I'll see if I can still get on confidently with the Metzlers after 1500 ..so far I'm at around 500...that will tell me...

#19 ·
violet said:
I know what you mean about new tires but I got the bike with only 1500miles on those dunlaps..thats pretty new don't ya think?? the dealer said the same thing about that but I'd think after only 1500miles on a stock tire it should handle pretty good...they were pretty crappy on the freeways. I'll see if I can still get on confidently with the Metzlers after 1500 ..so far I'm at around 500...that will tell me...

Gotta go with what wurks for you Vi

Whats your impression so far?

By the way, My bike weighs nearly 1000 lbs with me on it so my opinion may not apply to most. I am in the 300lb club and therefore my own minority group.

#20 ·
Bobsquatch said:
Gotta go with what wurks for you Vi

Whats your impression so far?

By the way, My bike weighs nearly 1000 lbs with me on it so my opinion may not apply to most. I am in the 300lb club and therefore my own minority group.
I do definately like the Metzlers. I also like the way they look for some reason they seem beefier....I didn't think about the weight thing..but I do know that the dunlaps cupped pretty quick too...

#21 ·
Metz is the way to go. Switched from the Dunlops at 8400 miles, with little tread left on the rear. Handle better & more comfortable ride, especially on grated bridges.

G

#22 ·
I've got over 10,000 on mine, reoplaced rear tire at 117 mi due to flat. Fronts cupped enough to feel a slight buzzing in the bars when you turn but the tread looks good, The rear tread looks good except for a very shallow cut or crack across the tire. Looking into a 200 metz for the rear but I don't know if it'll fit with the leatherpro brackets.

#25 ·
Should be a sticker on the frame by the air box cover i believe on the left side that tells you how much air pressure for your particular bike.

#26 ·
all i know is, when stuck in the rain, on all of the harleys and big cruisers i've been through, that:

Metz are nice and sticky, i feel like a roller skate with sticky wheelz
Dunflops feel like i have to act like i'm driving on ice to keep them from sliding around

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.