Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Holy Loud TABs Batman!

4K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  RodKing 
#1 ·
So I installed my Baffled TAB Slash-cuts on the vrod yesterday.... holy shit are they loud! I wasn't expecting them to be that loud, I don't remember them being this loud last time. But it has been some time since I last listened to them. So here is the question.... Is there a good way to tone them down a bit? Or am i basically out of luck? And if so, the bike is going to the dyno to be tuned on Friday, if I manage to tone them down would the bike need to be re-dynoed? Thanks Guys!

HS

#2 ·
I just installed a set of TAB slash cut baffled on mine - they are loud as well.

I am going to install a set of baffles - reversed into the 3d volume collector - You might give that a shot - there are some inexpensive baffles on EBay that I'm going to try.

#5 ·
I did not know there were baffles you could get for the 3rd volume... I was also considering putting some packing foam in the pipes, but I don't know how difficult it is to get the baffles out and if it would restrict exhaust flow too much. Additionally, I didn't even look this time around to see if the baffles were removable, I know they were back in 09 for my AW... I didn't even look this time around to be honest....

HS

#3 ·
Oh man, mine arrive tomorrow. I listened to some You Tube clips and they sounded fantastic and not too loud....Tab says they are about a 6 on a loudness scale of 1 to 10 compared to their non-baffled cousins, so I figured they would be just about right.....maybe not!

I can't imagine what the non-baffled Tabs sound like....

I am coming from a Night Rod Special that had V/H Black Widow slip-ons.....

#4 · (Edited)
Funny, the Black Widows and the Tabs were the two I was debating about, went with the tabs because I know the company has very good customer service, and the price was right! Plus, I had tabs for a short time on my 09AW before I sold them for BUB7 2 into 1. The Bubs were very loud, and this time around I wanted to be more low-key. I've just been riding for 2k miles on stockers and the TAB are very much more sound, I'll get used to it, but I imagined they'd be a little quieter.... I could just be getting sensitive in my old age! ;) Do me a favor, when you install yours let me know what you think of the volume of the sound... it could just be me!

HS

#7 ·
Generally I have earbuds in and am listening to music.... I just don't wanna have to turn up the volume to max to hear the music, and therefore making myself deaf..... The few short rides I have taken since they've been on, seem to be ok though.

HS

#9 ·
I just installed the Tab slash-cut baffled slip-on's this morning. They seem a little bit louder than the V/H Black Widows I came from, but their tone seems identical, which is a good thing.

I'm still in my 500 mile break in, so I don't know how they sound in the high RPM ranges yet, but I like the sound level-would not want them any louder though!

#16 ·
After going for another ride I have a few questions for you:

1) If I install baffles into the 3rd volume will I need to re-tune to bike?
2) Are there any stock baffles in there already?
3) Is there a place to mount the baffles? Or do I have to drill a hole myself to secure them into the 3rd volume?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

HS

#12 ·
Thank You, my problem at this point is the fact that i literally just got the bike back from dyno tune today... and you'd think if I install another baffle in the system it would require another tune.... I'm broke and maxed at the moment... so it looks like I"m gonna have to sit tight for now...

HS

#15 ·
Yeah, it's growing on me! Now I just need it to stop raining so I can really stretch her legs! Had to take it easy on the way home from Harley with the rain and all....

HS

#25 ·
Yeah, it's growing on me! Now I just need it to stop raining so I can really stretch her legs! Had to take it easy on the way home from Harley with the rain and all....
HS
I had the same issue. Called TabPerformance and they suggested to get Big City Thunder Monster QQ (Quality Quiet) Baffles. The first picture is of the baffle itself and the second is where it must be installed. This will quiet the baffled Tab Slash Cut pipes some more. I'm waiting for them now...

Attachments

#20 ·
I'd have to agree, it doesn't sound too bad at 3k-4k range either! For some reason though the sound it makes at 4k make it sound like it's working harder than it really is... i find over 4k into the 5's sounds smoother..

HS

#22 ·
I have a set of turnout tips, while not tabs they are similar. The sound is loud but my buddy's 09 DX is louder with a baffle in his v&h 2:1.

I have been having trouble tuning out all the pooping of mine as well. I didn't get the TAB turnouts and instead just got some nice turnout tips without baffles. But I would assume the tuning would be pretty similar, if someone has some good luck with this I'd love to see a pcv map to compare to my PV maps.

#23 ·
I have a set of turnout tips, while not tabs they are similar. The sound is loud but my buddy's 09 DX is louder with a baffle in his v&h 2:1.

I have been having trouble tuning out all the pooping of mine as well. I didn't get the TAB turnouts and instead just got some nice turnout tips without baffles. But I would assume the tuning would be pretty similar, if someone has some good luck with this I'd love to see a pcv map to compare to my PV maps.
If I remember correctly when I had the PCV and Autotuner on my 09AW the way I corrected the popping was to ADD fuel on the 0% thottle positions on the table. I'm not 100% sure however, because another forum member helped me tune it out. But I do remember adding fuel at the bottom of the table is what we did.

The problem I have now is that I am not using a a PCV instead I have Harley's Super Tuner. I don't have the software or the cable, so I'm stuck with dyno tunes. I had hoped that a good dyno tune was all I would need... kind of a "set it and forget it" situation... So far I must say I am very pleased at the performance of my tune, but I know some of the more annoying stuff like popping can't be helped much without spending more money. Hence the reason I'm looking into some other options.

But I must say after my morning ride today... I am growing to love the sound of these pipes! They simply sound badass! So I'm getting used to the volume well enough... we shall see whats up when Rodking installs his baffles... i got them in the mail today! :D

HS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.